General New addition to the fiat family.

Currently reading:
General New addition to the fiat family.

Alan.D said:
You might have to be Brutal Chris, a 5lb lump hammer should do the trick

:yeahthat:

Definitely sounds like the shoes catching on the drum. Try and lever one end of the drum away, and then see if you can push a screwdriver into the gap to push the shoes in a bit. If you're replacing the shoes you should be ok, as by being brutal you might damage the old shoes in the process.

Might also be an idea to look into buying some new drums as they aren't that expensive. But you need to get the old ones off first to see what the inner face is like.

Oh, and I know it's obvious, but you have disengaged the handbrake before attempting drum removal?

1986Uno45S said:
Oh, and I know it's obvious, but you have disengaged the handbrake before attempting drum removal?

lol, yeah the handbrake is off, actually the handbrake doesnt even work in the first place :)

edit - here are the prices for the drums etc....

1 drum - £22 plus vat.
set of shoes - £20 plus vat.
1 wheel cylinder - £8 plus vat.
1 handbrake cable - £17 plus vat.

total of £133.95 :eek: :cry:. sadly this is because the van was fitted with 9 inch drums :(

Last edited:
Update - we managed to get the drum off :woot: with the help of a metal bar, a screwdriver, and the biggest hammer we could find :D. The problem we have is that the retaining pins had fallen out, so it was the shoes that were holding the drum on, but now we have the drum off we can see that the drum and shoes still have plenty of meat still on them, and are NOT the more expensive ratchet type shoes, so the costs are now...

shoe fitting kit - £9.
set of handbreak cables - £13.

(y)

careful Chris, I had the same problem as you years ago with a 68 Beetle. I got the brakes off the same way as you. The problem is that this method breaks or disconects the retaining pins and with the extra movement then come free. Double check the drums, the lip does not need to be very big to cause problems.(n)

panda-sport said:
careful Chris, I had the same problem as you years ago with a 68 Beetle. I got the brakes off the same way as you. The problem is that this method breaks or disconects the retaining pins and with the extra movement then come free. Double check the drums, the lip does not need to be very big to cause problems.(n)

Good point to make about the pins, but i think it should be ok (fingers crossed). I will be taking the shoes off and cleaning them up and copper greasing all moving parts, but the main problem i have now is the fitting of the handbrake cable (tips/advice welcome :)).

Another update - We managed to take the near side rear brake drum off, and we found out that the lever that puts the handbrake on was rusted solid :(. Thankfully brute force and coca cola freed it off (y). Now we just have to do the same on the other side and fit the new handbrake cable :)

Back