Off Topic New 500X

Currently reading:
Off Topic New 500X

The social conflicts related to Fiat's policies (some say politics) always saw Agnelli keeping the leading role; in the 1980s, during the last important trade union action, a dramatic situation in which a strike was blocking all of Fiat's production, he was able to organise the march of 40,000 workers who broke the pickets and re-entered the factories. This marked the demise of the power of trade unions, which to this day have not recovered their influence on Italy's politics and economy.
...[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

That's Wikipedia for you - doesn't describe the Italy I know and love and have spent half of each of the last 24 years in. The unions are very strong and are virtually in control of many shop floors. Monti is having a massive struggle to try to alter employment laws - restrictive practices, flexibility and so on - and will probably fail.

The unions are very strong and are virtually in control of many shop floors.

You only have to read the story of BL in the history books to see where this will end if the unions cannot be controlled. I found it very sad to watch the slow death by suicide of the company which gave us the first Mini at a time when Ford still had sidevalve engines in mainstream production.

That's Wikipedia for you - doesn't describe the Italy I know and love and have spent half of each of the last 24 years in. The unions are very strong and are virtually in control of many shop floors. Monti is having a massive struggle to try to alter employment laws - restrictive practices, flexibility and so on - and will probably fail.

It does appear sadly that wiki got it wrong.
http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/25/italian-union-too-strong-for-its-own-good/

You only have to read the story of BL in the history books to see where this will end if the unions cannot be controlled. I found it very sad to watch the slow death by suicide of the company which gave us the first Mini at a time when Ford still had sidevalve engines in mainstream production.

Having worked for both unionised and non unionised companies it will only be the latter which will be sustainable. Some outspoken individuals on the topic. The only downside of this new way of thinking is that you end up selling your soul. Hopefully Italy will sort itself out because history does repeat itself.

7504529700_850d1b6109_b.jpg

Looking at the picture it seems that there is space above the plastic wheel arches for USA marker lights. To me that would assume that this will be the larger 500 that makes it State side, purely as I think they would very much not like the 500 L styling.

The question then is will it actually make it to the UK or Europe in general?

Steve

Dull, dull and dull. It looks dated already. Could be any number of cars on the road. Fiat have really lost the plot with new product. Just grafting on a vague Fiat 500 front onto a piece of mediocre design is so lazy. Compare this with the pics of the forthcoming Clio.

I have to say I don't mind it? I don't look at it and think WOW or anything, but it's generic rather than UGLY as the 500L is.

Back