netgear router problem. now is laptop wireless problem

Currently reading:
netgear router problem. now is laptop wireless problem

Re: netgear router problem

dchp is on

access control where them mac addresses go is off :cunfused:
repair still cant obtain ip address

Dave,

If I understood your earlier post you could plug the network cable in directly the computer correctly connected to the router and you could browse the internet ?

If this is the case, then the DHCP is switched on, so then the question is whats actually happening when the computer is showing acquiring network address. One thing that could cause this problem is if the wrong wireless key has been entered or the network profile has become corrupt. I would try delete the stored profile for the network, if windows is managing the adapter the do the following. Open network connections in the control panel, double click on the wireless network connection, click on properties and then click on the wireless tab. Delete the entries in the preferred network list and then browse for wireless networks, double click on the router you are trying to connect to and then when prompted enter the correct network key (this should be the one on the sticker on the bottom of the router as you have reset defaults). Keep us posted on your progress.

are you using windows or the netgear app to connect? Sometimes you need to remove the profile for the wifi then re-discover wireless networks and then enter the key again.

its getting worse. last night before i went to bed all i did was defrag it. today the blooming thing wont even start with out going straight to blue screen of death :bang: wont even start in safe mode command prompt only. am running the dell diagnostics thing now see if that says if any thing wrong :(

its getting worse. last night before i went to bed all i did was defrag it. today the blooming thing wont even start with out going straight to blue screen of death :bang: wont even start in safe mode command prompt only. am running the dell diagnostics thing now see if that says if any thing wrong :(

Dave whats the Error Message when you get the blue screen of death, do you have anything plugged into the computer when the laptops booting up such as wireless dongle ?

i cant do no more now till sunday, i got a thing i can fit drive into an connect it to usb port, what are chances i can get it back working with scandisk?

Dave while the hard disk still seems to be working I would place it in a caddy as you described but I would buy a new hard drive and use an application to create an image of the old drive onto the new drive. Otherwise you might get the laptop working for the hard drive to fail completely.

What defragger did you use?

I have had issues with windows defragger before, and was getting BSOD'ing too! :rolleyes:

Had to find another option in the end.

Back