IMG_4014.JPG

Punto (Mk2/2b) My 1 car

Introduction

Hi guys and girls, although the title says this is my 1st car its actually my second as my sister wrote off my first one when on a lesson with my dad :/.

Its a Y reg (2001) mk2 mia 1.2 8v with 30k on the clock and i got it for 900 with the money we received from insurance and scrappers. Already had a few gripes with it, such as the man who sold it to me saying he didnt know the radio code but it turned out once i found and entered the code, the reason my stereo was quiet is because there were NO SPEAKERS in the doors :bang:

Apart from that and a cracked rear bumper the rest of the car is sound, just had it serviced by a friend of my dads and he says all is well mechanically.

As im 18 and taking my test in 4 weeks all the money i have will inevitably be spent on insurance (n) but with a full time job sorted for my gap year i will have the funds available to spice things up a bit!

So what this post is for is general advice on what to do with it, my list goes like this but feel free to add ideas:

Replace rear bumper
Debadge - if i have the stones (red paint + fading (n) )
Alloys
Improved stereo (no sub as i need the boot space for work)
Tints - windows and/or lights?

Apologies for length :/

IMG_40181.JPG

IMG_4014.JPG
Yeah well i do want to take off the rub strips and badges A.S.A.P but im wondering that if the differences in paint shade will stand out too much?

I havent seen any other punto's my colour that've been smooth sided so im on the fence with this.

Ive got £100 in the bank to last me till next payday (2 weeks) so if anyone could advise me what the best products/equipment i can buy to get some colour back it'd be much appreciated.

Yeah well i do want to take off the rub strips and badges A.S.A.P but im wondering that if the differences in paint shade will stand out too much?

I havent seen any other punto's my colour that've been smooth sided so im on the fence with this.

Ive got £100 in the bank to last me till next payday (2 weeks) so if anyone could advise me what the best products/equipment i can buy to get some colour back it'd be much appreciated.
Autoglym Super Resin Polish from ebay 1Litre = £10. You're best venturing into the 'Car Care' section and asking there.

Thanks man (y). Read alot of good stuff regarding autoglym so ill give debadging a go on monday and if that goes well ill do the bump strips on the tuesday.

Anybody got opinions on what alloys i should be going after? By that i mean colour/style?

imo white multispokes(maybe team dynamics ),i love them but they are a bugger to keep clean but it doesnt matter if you like washing your car:D

also a blob of super resin polish and a blob of red t-cut on a cloth and rub should bring back the shine,someone on here (karbineftw) had a mk1 that was red and faded and with a bit of time and effort it looked B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L

Yeah i cant decide whether i want white or black ones, wish i could try them to compare :(.

I think its a good shout getting multispokes if i go white, gives it a Rallying look

Ill shop around, try find some with a red line round the edge maybe?
Meh working part time sucks (n) could do with some funds right now haha.
Wish me look on the lotto ey?

nice car for a 1st motor.
has the car had a bump to the rear at any point? only reason I ask is because the grills at the bottom of the bumper should be black. that would set alarm bells ringing for me if I was looking to buy it.

I think who ever had the car before me has modded it, it hasnt had a bump but there is currently a crack in that bumper so im looking to replace it, off to the scrappers today in leeds which is stacked with puntos (y) also of to a local car shop to try get some Autoglym.

My assumptions is that whoever has modded it before has taken all there stuff with them and just returned the car to stock, when wiring the speakers i found some redundant audio cable and the tweeters in the door werent stock, also in the back there is an O-ring connected to where the back bench bolts down.

But there is no sign of damage, its been on a ramp and looked at from underneath and lifting up the boot mat reveals all is well but thanks for pointing it out as i have wondered why the grill bits are red.

Could be that its a non original part as its cracked but theres no other damage to the car?

Wanting to get some MDF to make a custom parcel shelf as ive been told thats the best way to increase bass without a sub. Any tips welcome :)

theres loads you can do to this, obv apart from the polish to get the paint nice and shiny again..

you can Tint the rear lights with smoke spray, CC the Door handles & wing mirrors, Alloys is a must, have a look in your scrappy for some fiat ones, obv check for cracks etc!

cheap modding options:

tint spray - savage spray £9.99 on ebay
tint your rear lights, changes the look of the car completely.

colour code wing mirrors - price of paint (£10ish?)

decent headlight bulbs - Osram night breakers
around £20 from Regal Auto Bulbs

remove sidestrips - free

;)

Was going to debadge today but its awful weather so ill leave it for a better day.

My trip to the scrappys wasnt as successful as id hoped for but it has left me with some questions for you guys; There was a MK2b sporting punto there that was in the same colour so i could of got a bumper for it BUT the previous owner had smoothed both front and rear bumpers so they were a white. i wondered if i bought these how much they would cost to get sprayed? the scrappy said they were £20 a piece!

And the car also had two black sporting seats that were just a bit dusty but so rips or cig burns and they were also £20 each. only problem is there were no doorcards and no rear seats to match :/

Gonna find my paint code and look for some paint to do my wing mirrors and maybe door handles? any recommendations for paint or are they all pretty similar?

Thanks in advance(y)

get the seats, other interior bits will be less hard to find...

and defo get the smoothed bumpers, also might be worth getting the rear lights off the mk2b aswell, bassically the same as the mk2 but detango'd

i quite like the tangoed lights, i dont understand why people see them as an eye sore?

going back this saturday to my scrappers for the rear bumper, gonna hold off on the seats as theyre more of a want than a need if im honest with myself, the ones at the moment are fine just a little boring haha.

anyone got an idea on how much a bumper respray will cost me if i prep it myself?

right so today i was recommended to plastic weld the crack on my bumper as a cheaper alternatice to replacing the whole thing, then sand it down then prime and colour it

anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated, the crack is about 2 inches long and if pictures are required ill take them tomorrow in good light.

Back