Technical Multipla Non Starter :(

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla Non Starter :(

Forgot to add you also need a cheap and nasty proprietary tool to change the filter as well. The top is screwed on unbelievably tight but its all plastic. impossible to open without it. I expect its the primary cause of this poor filter design needing replacement. The older design is definitely better but I dont think it can be swapped out.

Total cost of the new filter housing and tool is £125 ish . The top part of the filter isnt available as a separate piece and chances are any used are likely to be damaged or not identical as there appear to be multiple variations some with three / four pins as well. The same design is used in Vauxhalls Vectras Zafiras etc with the 1.9 Fiat engine with a different fuel line connection.

Shop4parts not listing it by part number?
Not that I can find. They are closed until Monday too now. shop 4 parts were some £60 more expensive for the housing. I think if I go for the Fiat 'part' I will have to purchase the entire fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter housing as one.

Last edited:
Just refitted new fuel filter, housing and the new connector and a piece of fuel hose to replace the hose upto where it becomes metal . Tried starting and it was starting, then cutting out. the EML came on and illuminates with the ENGINE CONTROL CONTACT GARAGE message.. Tried starting on and off for 30 mins or so... now its starting everytime ... I cant get it to stall or cut out. Not sure i trust the issue is resolved but its been running now and ive moved it around my drive and it seems to be behaving except for the EML on. Have to clear this and retry ??? So some progress but time will tell if this was the issue .

Last edited:
Just refitted new fuel filter, housing and the new connector and a piece of fuel hose to replace the hose upto where it becomes metal . Tried starting and it was starting, then cutting out. the EML came on and illuminates with the ENGINE CONTROL CONTACT GARAGE message.. Tried starting on and off for 30 mins or so... now its starting everytime ... I cant get it to stall or cut out. Not sure i trust the issue is resolved but its been running now and ive moved it around my drive and it seems to be behaving except for the EML on. Have to clear this and retry ??? So some progress but time will tell if this was the issue .
Well you have made significant progress huge well done.

May I suggest reading fault code/s causing mil light , post codes on here, clear codes.

It is possible the engine control message is just coming on because the mil is on.

Use vehicle and see if mil comes back on.

I'm thinking/hoping for you the mil may have come on due to all the attempted starting and cutting out.

Jack

Well you have made significant progress huge well done.

May I suggest reading fault code/s causing mil light , post codes on here, clear codes.

It is possible the engine control message is just coming on because the mil is on.

Use vehicle and see if mil comes back on.

I'm thinking/hoping for you the mil may have come on due to all the attempted starting and cutting out.

Jack

This is the setup which is now working. So fix if this works was new fuel filter housing, approx 20cm of 8mm fuel hose and the 7.89mm Quick release connector. Cleared the EML and no repeat so far on a further five starts. Will wait to try again in the morning and see . The code was P0180 Fuel Temperature Sensor. No Signal > Signal High Stored Fatal ... No other codes recorded.

The original situation is back. :( Tried to start just now and it fires might run then dies. at least it is now starting though and I can move it. Will replace the crankshaft sensor as I have purchased that and then I need to find out which relay is the fuel one.

Fusiblera%20Bovita.png

Fuel pump situation (green text)

In my engine it is possible to replace the crankshaft sensor from below, without the need for elevator.

IMG_20170717_194238.jpg

IMG_20170717_201240.jpg

Is in Spanish but it is not necessary to read it:

Sensobovita.png

Sensor%20revoluciones.png
Changed Crankshaft Sensor today. Mine is the newer type see photos . Wasnt too difficult once i sorted out access for the T40 Hex screwdriver. Just unscrewed and removed. and inserted new sensor . Took all of 15mins . Started first time, and so far no warning lights. It was cold and wet here today so didnt want to risk taking it out for a drive but initial indication is positive. It wasnt starting first time with old sensor in place, was seeing glowplug and EML light before, now no lights. Will try it out and confirm in the morning. Thanks TXUCHIN for the photos. See photos of setup on my car. The new sensor is slightly different , and the metal tip seems to be a little more proud of the plastic surface . Wonder if this is wear?

Left it three hours and tried to start.... Long crank but now starts :) (so would look like route cause was crankshaft sensor,) without any warning lights, no cutting out. How long should 1.9 multijet take to fire ? As the car has never run properly in my ownership I dont know whats normal. Its now starting everytime, real test will be first thing tomorrow after cold night.

Good news!

As for the lazy starting: You could try fitting a new glow plug relay, but I'd try a really strong dose of injector cleaner first. Liqui Moly do a good one called Diesel Purge. If you can get the fuel filter off, drain it and fill it with neat Diesel Purge. Refit and let it run for a good 5-10 mins. The engine will run quite happily on neat cleaner, without ill effects.

Hi morning update , just tried to start and all its doing is crank , no start, no warning lights , no attempt to start, just cranks ... :( need to revisit the crankshaft sensor and confirm fuel, maybe check wiring. No error codes logged ... then starter, battery , maybe refit the old sensor ???? infuriating

Update: OK checked and rechecked and everything looks OK. disconnected battery and left it 30 mins. Still same symptoms... no warning lights which is good, code immobiliser light, glow plug light, EML all working as I believe they should .. hooked up to read codes now its showing RPM Sensor P0335 .... so crankshaft sensor is now being recorded. progress of sorts ???. Maybe remove and reinstall? Is new sensor faulty too, wrongly installed by me or wiring issue ?? Need to trace the cable but it sort of disappears ?? Maybe ill move the ?cable and see before removing ? As far as I can tell its seated correctly. I think the sensor must be doing something now because the EML is off. :( have I got wrong sensor even though it fits ?

Last edited:
Back