Technical multijet engine fault

Currently reading:
Technical multijet engine fault

pauper

We've had our panda diesel since December. It's been fine until a couple of weeks ago; after doing about 1 mile on a cold wet morning, the engine suddenly lost power for about 2 or 3 seconds (as though if it were a petrol engine the ignition had stopped working) and the car slowed down. Then it recovered, and went back to normal, and has been fine until yesterday. After driving from cold about 200 yards it did the same again, but did not recover after 2 or 3 seconds. I pulled over and stopped the car and expected engine to stop but it didn't, it idled normally. But when pushing down the accelerator pedal it would only rev to 2,000rpm even with foot on floor. It was not misfiring or sounding rough, it was as though i was only pushing pedal down slightly. Then it suddenly increased to 3,000rpm with pedal to the floor, then, after a total of about 1 minute of weird behaviour it revved freely and returned to normal. Today, after starting it from cold, it just cut out. It's never done that before. After starting it again, it behaved normally. At no time on any of these occasions did any warning lights come on, none ever have since we've owned it except when first starting it up and then they all go off as normal.
Does anyone with knowledge of 21st century computerised motors have any ideas? Unless it's got an SU carburettor I can't fix it.....

Has rain been a common factor? It can enter the engine via a screwhole just below the windscreen in the middle of the black plastic piece. By getting a bit of silicone to seal the hole, I solved what sounds pretty much what you've been experiencing in mine. Cheap and cheerful fix!

You need to do the basics, whilst the car still seems ok, get the bonnet up and find where you can make it rev by hand. That way next time it plays up you can eliminate the throttle control system or it may well be proof of that's where the problem lies.
good luck

Unplug the 2 ECU plugs to the left of the battery ( with yellow release clips ) and spray WD40 into the sockets, they seem to be prone to moisture when the car is cold...

Last edited:
Here is what I think. It is simply cold. I am also from a previous generation, hence I simply think the engine is cold. Here on the very cold mornings (every morning in winter) in Switzerland, I simply switch the car on, go back in the house, do a few things, even brush my teeth or whatever, when I go out it has idled for three minutes or so and I don't have this problem.

Has rain been a common factor? It can enter the engine via a screwhole just below the windscreen in the middle of the black plastic piece. By getting a bit of silicone to seal the hole, I solved what sounds pretty much what you've been experiencing in mine. Cheap and cheerful fix!

I have to second that. I experienced the same problem and did the same fix. I've had no more bother. Good luck.

Here is what I think. It is simply cold. I am also from a previous generation, hence I simply think the engine is cold. Here on the very cold mornings (every morning in winter) in Switzerland, I simply switch the car on, go back in the house, do a few things, even brush my teeth or whatever, when I go out it has idled for three minutes or so and I don't have this problem.

Please don't advise to leave the car running unattended. I don't know about Switzerland but in England frosty mornings can bring a spate of car thefts when some owners think nothing of popping back into their home while their cars are left unattended, engines running to warm up and defrost the windows.

It takes less than ten seconds to take a car in this situation.

Where I work we received reports of 10 cars last winter being stolen like this. Believe me you don't want the inconvenience.

Don’t be as foolish as those people who have had to confirm to the police, and their insurance company, that they left their cars unlock and the keys in the ignition. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Sean

Please don't advise to leave the car running unattended. I don't know about Switzerland but in England frosty mornings can bring a spate of car thefts when some owners think nothing of popping back into their home while their cars are left unattended, engines running to warm up and defrost the windows.

It takes less than ten seconds to take a car in this situation.

Where I work we received reports of 10 cars last winter being stolen like this. Believe me you don't want the inconvenience.

Don’t be as foolish as those people who have had to confirm to the police, and their insurance company, that they left their cars unlock and the keys in the ignition. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Sean

:yeahthat: not to mention its also against the law to quit a vehicle with a running engine, and cars are designed to be driven straight away. Only had issues in a diesel once myself and that was literally cold start, and moving off within 2 seconds and it was a tad lumpy. Normally a 5-10 seconds will be enough.

My MJ occasional had a limp where it would not rev past 2K as you say.

Could drive it but hit a brick wall at 2k, then 3 after a bit 2.5K then 3K then would pull to the rev limiter.

Nothing to do with cold as happened in summer, more along the lines of damp ingress.

Can't remember if it was a re-seat of the air filter lid or a spray of the WD40 on the ECM pins and plugs, but it's not done it since. (y)

If it's water through the hole below the windscreen, the engine can hydraulic lock. not sure if there can be enough water in the induction to fill the cylinders while the engine is running, but it would most likely be bent valves if that happened :dead:

Last edited:
I was driving my diesel volvo along motorway once, wanted to accelerate to overtake a lorry and found the car wouldn't go faster. I continued and the car gradually dropped to 50mph. No amount of throttle in any gear would make it go quicker. When I came off motorway and stopped to give way at roundabout, a large could of smoke drifted past my window, and then engine was fine. I suspected a blockage somewhere which eventually worked its way out.

Thanks to all who have replied, I shall check all the possibilities listed. Since I sent original post, it hasn't misbehaved once, but it has also been drier and not so cold. Computerised cars might be harder for old farts like me to diagnose, but in precomputer days I couldn't have got so much helpful advice so easily, so thank you everyone.

Back