Mould

Currently reading:
Mould

deverill

On boxing day I took my car off of the road and covered it. 4 months later I uncovered it to put it back on the road only to find mould everywhere inside.

The ceiling is the worst and only part where the mould has actually stained. I have tried several different inertia cleaners.

Any advice? Thanks

Whilst that stuff works well, it works on what it touches. Also, the use of a steamer also destroys mould spores - but again, only on what it touches.
To make sure you kill all the mould within the vehicle, you need to get hold of an ozone generator - if you know someone with a koi pond.
Close all the doors and windows and fill the car with ozone for about an hour.
Afterwards there is a smell of industrial fridge for a short time, there is also some dampness generated but flooding the car with ozone is the only way to ensure you kill all the spores.

I think this is also the basis of many 'air con' cleaners - so possibly worth buying a few cannisters and having them all running at the same time - ensure you have your air con running on recirc just in case there are spores in the system.

Lots of good advice here.

The mould spores will have got absolutely everywhere - that's how the stuff reproduces - but they will only germinate if conditions are right. Indeed, mould & fungii spores of various kinds are all over the place in the environment, but they generally only germinate & grow in damp places that don't get much sunlight. So if you just get rid of what's there & put the car back into the same conditions, it'll grow again no matter how thoroughly you have cleaned it.

Keeping the humidity down is one surefire way to stop mould returning & it may be worth investing in a dehumidifier for your garage. They're relatively cheap to buy, though rather costly to run - but you'll have an endless supply of zero residue water as a byproduct, which is useful for all sorts of things. Helps to stop the car from rusting too.

Back