Technical Motorhome

Currently reading:
Technical Motorhome

Goldfinch305

Hi all just joined new to this .I will get straight to the point I have a 2004 Burstner Elegance i660 jtd diesel engine . In the last 2 years I have problems with engine cutting out when you turn on the dipped headlights and sometimes dash lights going wonky gages going erratic as if I have a bad earth or something like that sometimes temperature gauge goes up and down other than that it drives okay. Does anyone had that experience.Goldfinch305.

Hi and welcome

When you have lots of different electrical faults it often points to something wrong with the main wiring. By this I mean something on the battery positive (supply) side fairly close to the battery, before it divides up into the multiple individual circuits. Alternatively it could be something close to the battery negative on the (earth return) side.

I suggest as a starter you check things in this order:

Battery terminals, all bright clean and tight ?

Main fuses near the battery, ditto

Earth return cable from the engine to battery negative, from memory the X244 also has a side branch connection to the bodywork from this cable. The side branch "flag" can corrode internally. Note that a visual check isn't enough, you have to unbolt these things and take a good look for any tarnishing. After cleaning off e.g. wire brushing, apply a THIN smear of vaseline and retighten.

Ignition switch, this may have got a bit tired. You should be able to fit a new/good used electrical part onto the existing key/lock mechanism

Thanks Anthony I will try and take a look at some of the things you pointed out but for a visual look I don’t think I will be able to see anything my motorhome engine compartment is so closed in it’s hard to see anything.👍

@Goldfinch305 , you base vehicle will be a Ducato x244 with presumably a 2.8jtd engine.

I fully agree with the logical checks suggested by @Anthony489. In further clarification I would expect to find 3, or 4 fuses mounted above the battery positive terminal. The relevant fuse will be a midi fuse mounted on M5 studs (8mm spanner) and coloured either pink 125A, or black 150A. This fuse supplies the engine bay fusebox via an M6 stud (10mm spanner). The engine bay fusebox supplies the ignition switch, and headlamps etc.

As suggested check all connections for tightness. I strongly advise removing the battery negative connection, before using a metal tool on the above connections.

If the above connections are sound then is there any possibility of past water ingress to the engine bay fusebox? This could cause internal corrosion.
See this post which applies to a Stilo, but the fusebox is similar. Again remove battery negative.

Earth connections have been mentioned, but these seem to be less of a problem than on the x250, but perhaps it could be a relative numbers thing.

The main chassis earth point is below the front of the battery on the RH inner wing in front of the engine mounting. 13mm socket with extension bar required. See photo. Best to apply thin smear of vaseline to cleaned contact faces. Headlamps and ECU are earthed to the chassis, so this earth pont is in the critical current path. Corrosion inside the flag terminal has been reported.

Attachments

• Earthing Chassis.JPG
    Earthing Chassis.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • Earthing at Bell Housing.JPG
    Earthing at Bell Housing.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
  • Earthing Battery Negative.JPG
    Earthing Battery Negative.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
Thanks for the update I will try anything now as it has a mind of its own going for a spin is a nightmare because every time you stop you don’t know if something is going to happen to it especially the electric parts can’t travel at night in case lights won’t function properly.much appreciated 👍

Back