General Most reliable supplier for accurate repro parts

Currently reading:
General Most reliable supplier for accurate repro parts

This is rapidly becoming one of my pet subjects; perhaps because I have suddenly been buying a lot of parts that really show on the finished car.
There aren't really any bits I have bought that wouldn't be able to fit but there's some very poor attempts to emulate the original that are disappointing.
The latest is the alloy trims round the windows in which the replacements are the wrong profile and not as wide as the originals.

Is there any supplier that gives you the best parts? (not necessarily cheapest or best service.)

Sadly, all the suppliers use the same manufacturers/parts as each other.
Looking at a few threads there is definately some quality issues.
I know when you look at say passione500 site they do have a couple of different types of some parts (listed as better quality).
I purchased my panels from motobambino, Mark there was very helpful and did give some advise on quality and certain issues they have with fit. So as much as it may be cheaper buying from abroad, you may not get quite the same service.
Motobambino repair 500's and therefore have an idea of what fits and whats rubbish!

This is rapidly becoming one of my pet subjects; perhaps because I have suddenly been buying a lot of parts that really show on the finished car.
There aren't really any bits I have bought that wouldn't be able to fit but there's some very poor attempts to emulate the original that are disappointing.
The latest is the alloy trims round the windows in which the replacements are the wrong profile and not as wide as the originals.

Is there any supplier that gives you the best parts? (not necessarily cheapest or best service.)
I've tried to fit these alloy trims on the door windows and had to cut back the fibre inserts as they are over long and don't fit the window apertiure. The problem is with this the aloy trims are quite delicate and easy to make a mess of. I have used a number of them bougjt from VdL, AG, MBG, Ric and they are all the same really, not original in quality or style. Also the overall finish requires quite a bit of wire wool and metal polish to get a smooth finish, but once again you have to take it easy or they buckle. No idea where these are originating from but it looks like all outlets use them?

Cheers
Hugh Jarce

I used Axel Gerstl for the majority of my parts. I agree with the other comments I would think there are probably only a few manufacturers of parts for the repo parts. I.e. Only one is making some parts and others are making others or it could only be one making all?????

I found the same problem with aluminium trims around the windows as Hugh, where I had to trim the weather seal a couple of cm's off the bottom but I didn't have any problems with the profile or the width of them. I did screw up one on the passenger side and had to purchase a replacement as they are very fragile and as easy to crack. They are very fiddly to fit as it is a case of working out whether to fit the ventilation panel/quarter light first or after fitting the sliding window.

Has anyone tried these guys http://www.500ricambi.it ? I know the site is in Italian, but I have never got a part here that did not fit, to include quarter window deflector trim. Btw, the quarter deflector window trim is found in the acessori vari on page 2. Buona fortuna!

Last edited:
I have aluminium window trims to fit, sometime in the future. Already purchased.
Not looking forward to that job.

1.Place clips anout 300mm apart and not on curves, make sure to get one near to each open end.
2.Small side of clip to be on the visible side of the trim.
3. Work out your own way as to whether it should be done with the quarter light loosely in place or not and gently push trim into the sharp front corner. Watch the cut ends for damaging paintwork or flexing too much.
4.Hand fit without pushing all the way home until there will be some excess at the ends.
This can't be fitted until the trim is driven home.
5.Starting near the corner, using a rubber hammer or other means of buffering, start to tap the trim in, working along as you go so that it all goes in gradually. Keep refering to the ends as the lengths are cut quite accurately and if there seems to be surplus you probably haven't got the trim fully located.
6. Using a length of soft wood, (I used MDF skirting board) gently hsmmer to get the straight sections as even as possible
7. Hope that you get a better pair of closing clips than I did...save the old ones if possible.

I am sure that other methods are available but I did this yesterday and it wasn't quite as tricky as I expected.

Has anyone tried these guys http://www.500ricambi.it ? I know the site is in Italian, but I have never got a part here that did not fit, to include quarter window deflector trim. Btw, the quarter deflector window trim is found in the acessori vari on page 2. Buona fortuna!

I can help with translation if you need to buy from them
Ciao!

Sent from my iPhone using FIAT Forum

A really good set of videos for someone starting out. From the couple I have looked at there is just enough detail to point you in the right direction.

Joe R

Maybe I'm just a bit fussy; I don't go for new shiny bits and in fact to add any new bits to my car the original have to be beyond redemption or related to safety or reliability.

Latest gripes are mainly rubber based again:eek:
The little things like the insulated cap for the dynamo terminal; it's only a couple of months old, had an easy life and yet it's already cracking up.

The new, original pattern wheels are good in many ways but I noticed that the tyre doesn't sit with the sidewall flush with the rim. It looks odd and will attract rust and get easily dented if I am careless. (which bviously, I won't be)

When I torqued the new "Estendeblocks" or "Silentblocs" I diligently used a torque wrench. One of them at the front seemed to be taking a lot of tightening and I suspect that the under-engineered inner, steel tube has slightly collapsed or splayed. I am hearing a little knocking noise over rough roads (ie. most roads in Scotland at the moment) from that side. So a mini strip-down is timetabled for Monday.

Can anyone name a genuinely reliable company which consistently supplies good quality parts?

Slowly but surely, Murf is losing his originality as parts of him get worn out. The latest item to bite the dust is a minor actor but I was sad to have to replace it; it was the spare-wheel strap.

Amazing to be able to buy something so specific more than 50 years after the car was made, but as usual, there are differences which I feel need to be noted. I can't yet comment on the quality of the rubber but I don't expect it to outlive me,,,,and I'm older than the car. There are two rather than the original three moulded grooves.The strap is a bit shorter but I'll give them that one as the original has probably stretched given the number of cracks and splits. But the metal clip is definitely different...not that it really matters. But me, being pedantic, I've removed the old one and fitted it on the new strap to give a tiny bit more originality (and patina). ;)

Attachments

• NOV_2964.JPG
    NOV_2964.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • NOV_2965.JPG
    NOV_2965.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
Ooooooh my newish repro part is better than yours:D Well it is nearly 6 years old now!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Maybe they are getting worse:confused:

Attachments

• 61E05B00-3746-4F56-A22C-FB004F6EA670.jpeg
    61E05B00-3746-4F56-A22C-FB004F6EA670.jpeg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 36
I placed an order with them in December only to be told they had problems with their courier so we’re not shipping to the U.K. or USA. Will be checking shortly to see if the situation has changed.

I placed an order with them in December only to be told they had problems with their courier so we’re not shipping to the U.K. or USA. Will be checking shortly to see if the situation has changed.

Hi Fiona, I placed an order with VDL on the 26th of Jan 20 and received the items 3 days later, no problems with the European or UK shipping.
Ian.

I also recently ordered from VDL---had no problems at all; parts turned up within 4 days of order.

Back