Technical more power

Currently reading:
Technical more power

little becky

Princess Becky
well got an e-mail from the guys who made my tuning box yesterday saying they now have a second box that works in conjunction with the first one to turn the boost up should see between 185 to 195bhp without any problems may need an uprated clutch tho.. its a plug in module with an adjuster for the boost will let you know how it goes(y)

So you're nearly doubling the power from your standard engine by way of upping the boost? No internal modifications at all?:confused: Can't see that lasting long before it goes bang...

There is no doubting it can get to 195bhp at a push, but I reckon it will put so much pressure on the engine, that other mods will have to be done to compensate.

Even with the 170bhp Angel remap, a new exhaust system is recommended.

You'll probably find most of the additional power is from making the turbo work extreamly hard - it will last about a month and then :cry: .

Also, is there a modified clutch available for the JTD yet as i think someone else on the forum was looking because he had clutch slip at 155 bhp up from 115.

Personally I wouldn't do it - look at a 2.4 jtd conversion instead if power is what your after. (y)

You will have excessive smoke and the police will love for it. Apart from it I wouldn't want an ECU with an attached tuning box and attach another to it.

If you want to get the power reliably go for the proper way. Remap after you have done the other needed modifications.

yes and the front mounted all alloy intercooler is on its way its booked in for the full stainless inc de-cat the guy who had made the upgrade runs a 250bhp alfa and has done for 60k with only a clutch go the boost is totally ajustable so if it starts running warm i will just wind it down a bit.. but like ya say if it goes will just drop another engine in it prob the 150 out of the alfa

:confused: why would i have exessive smoke :confused: :confused: you get smoke when it over-fuels the fueling is already set when you turn the boost up it usually mops up any exess smoke soooo there will be less smoke

Well someone must make them - don't they?

There is a radiator repair place in Thornaby which does recoring on rads and intercoolers. I've never needed an intercooler doing but I know they can copper core rads.

Edit: Done some googling and I can't find any copper core intercoolers so maybe the copper can't take the pressure, or the air-metal-air efficiency is low enough not to be significant.

Last edited:
little becky said:
:confused: why would i have exessive smoke :confused: :confused: you get smoke when it over-fuels the fueling is already set when you turn the boost up it usually mops up any exess smoke soooo there will be less smoke

It is not as easy as that. You have to understand the complexity of mapping. Your ECU has got 7 (seven) mapping grids (some other ECUs have even more), where the boost control is only one of them. BTW one of them is the smoke limiter. I am not talking theory here, being only for about 22 years in the business. I develop currently several uprated packages for the turbo Diesels because there is more to it.

Back