Mk1 SX 75 punto starter motor.

Currently reading:
Mk1 SX 75 punto starter motor.

Bluebug

Do i have to get a mk1 specific starter motor or can one be used from a later model punto? mine spins slowly but doesn't engage fully.

There is a breakers yard i popped to today to get a panel to practice machine polishing on, and noticed they had alot of puntos but later models.

Can answer my own question, which is no for a straight swap.

Got one from a breakers yard from a mk2, guy there said it will be a straight swap, wasn't quite so simple.

Got the knackered one off, tried replacing with mk2 starter but it wouldn't sit in place. Reason being that the top bolt wouldn't fit in the top hole, had to drill out the inside of it so it would. Had to then grind down the locating shim as that was higher on the mk2 starter but still no luck, the shim was a fraction to wide.

So ended up replacing the front of the mk2 starter with the mk1 starter which i did only to find that on the mk1 the rods holding it together have a nut on one end and the mk2 have a long rod which screws into the housing and have a removable nut on the other end.

Had to cut the rods from the mk1 starter as the mk2 starter housing is shorter than the mk1.

After a few hours of faffing about, the car is now up and running.:slayer:

If you have a mk1 and the starter motor goes, get a replacement from the same car otherwise it could turn into a long job.(y)

Back