ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).jpg

Panda (Classic) Mk1 Fiat panda 4X4 restore

Introduction

Sam's Fiat Panda mk1 restoration thread

Day 1

Started work today on the panda, my god, what have I done :eek:. As im working on the car I'm keeping a running notepad report/ideas/questions sheet.

Mission today : Rust finding

Rust found on

Front arches
Front sills (passenger side)
Under washer bottle
Scuttle pannle, passenger side
Rear tail gate

Rear tail gate is a write off, and the rest is going to need a lot of welding. Underside checks out with solid jacking points. Rear arches solid but have surface rust. Look better after a blast with the sander.

Removed bonnet 4X10mm bolts
Spare wheel removed with tool kit and jack
Washer bottle 1x 8mm nut
Scuttle panel vents
Bulk head insulation, removed 2 Philips screws removed fuse box (2 wires disconnected my mouse)
1 Orange and 1 white block disconnected from washer bottle
vents removed, 2x2 Philips screws
Wiper removed
Scuttle panel removed

Photos to be sorted out soon, sorry for the some what ott list, its more for my reference as I know what i'm like with bits of paper.

I was happy with everything till I saw the mess under the scuttle panel :eek: Im in this deep however I may as well crack on.

I have two options, find a panda non runner and cut the bits I need out of that, Or get my self a anvil and vise and make up some sheets my self.

All in all, PANIC!!!!
there is a very easy way to get the window out.. so easy you can do it in under 10 mins.

from inside the car just lift up the rubber lip then tuck it under the metal lip of the cars window frame. its so easy to do ive done it with mine a few days ago to flip the windscreen round as i have a small stone chip right in the line of view.

in one of my videos i explain how to do it.. ill find it.

i hope that can help you in your windscreen problems if you have not fix it already.

hope this helps you out.. keep up the good work, just think when you first drive it out the workshop, you will need plastic surgery to remove the smile from your face.. well i know thats how i'm going to be when i get mine on the road heheh.

Thanks, I ended up paying some one to put it in for me as the glass was old and I didn't want to risk smashing it....again!

Did some more welding tonight and patched up a small hole on the rear. I have another small section to do tomorrow and then I just have to finish off the underselling then I can put the sprayed up fuel tank back in.

Sills next........:cry:

hmm thankfully the sills on mine were not so bad, just both outter skins were rusty. i must admit all i did was cut the bad out and welded in new metal. i never sort new sill skins to weld in. it wouldn't win any competitions but its solid and i am happy with it.

with welding i find that if you just keep going you will get it done. as my car stands now all the welding is done. from when i got it to say middle of last month i did all the welding jobs heh.

your doing a good job with it. it was way worse than mine, but then gain with it being a mark 1 it is wellll worth saving!
keep cracking on with it, you will get there.

Just read your ad. Really hope someone can continue with this. :(

Have posted a backup plan on the ad. but would rather not put it in to action, so come on people, somebody buy it!

It's beyond my skill level now. The rear arch looked ok before I removed the filler. The sill has come apart from the jacking point back and the inner sill and inner wheel arch have all become disconnected and rotten.

To do a proper job I need a inner and outer sill at least. It's a sod of a place to weld not helpt by others bodgies before me.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and offers every one, means a lot

hmm i must admit, i got to a point where i did not care what it looked like, so long as it was strong. i ended up welding really thick metal into the rear wheel arch of mine. so long as it is something like it's ok.

unless your a perfectionist.. it does not matter what it looks like. so long as it works.. and even then. you cant see under the car, so long as the outside looks some what thats all that matters.

many people on here would hate me for saying that but its your car and you do what you must with the skills you have to get it into a road going state.

i think you could do it, hell you have a welder.. that alone is enough to fix it heh.

Holy thread reselection batman.

Firstly, I'm not dead, nor is the panda. Couldn't let it go so paid to have it moved again :S

Its in a workshop again, dry but 20 miles away from me

workshopold.jpg

Workshop has no power other than a generator I have....I don't think i'm going to be able to finish up welding before here...but its safe and dry.

Before I moved it, with the help of friends I have done one complete sill. We did a bloody good job even if I say so my self. It took us two days as it needed a complete inner and outer. I also took the time to clean the underside and completely undersell it after.

Now you health and safety people, look away now. I can assure every one there was substantualy more support added after this picture was taken. Did I want to do it this way? no. not on your life but friends kinda took change at this point

215451.jpg

Is it still looking sorry for its self?

522334.jpg

Yes, but with one sill left to do its soon to be rust free and ready for paint

Last edited:
Who knows what it will look like.. im going to keep costs down be doing the prep my self.
After its solid, the real money needs to be spent stripping brake lines, hubs and suspension back :S

Who knows what it will look like.. im going to keep costs down be doing the prep my self.
After its solid, the real money needs to be spent stripping brake lines, hubs and suspension back :S

thats not as bad as it sounds yaknow.
i got >This< kit from ebay and replaced all of the corroded (all but center going to the rear) pipes on my panda. that kit is epic and for the price its really good stuff.
i'd say out of all the jobs i did on my panda, re running the brake pipes was my favorite. i actually enjoyed doing it.
given that the master cylinder is ok i would not of though it would cost much to fix up.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back