General Mk1 8v Turns over, won't start

Currently reading:
General Mk1 8v Turns over, won't start

roycom

Hi, first time poster here and not mechanically minded so I'll try to be clear as possible.

Had a 99 mk1 1.2 8v 60sx for about 6 months and on the whole it's been fine.

Started it up yesterday and it fired up 1st turn of the key like always. Put it in gear, and and before I could pull away, it died as if I'd turned it off!

Now the engine turns over, but there's just no sign of it even trying to fire into life. After doing some reading on here, I thought it might be the crank sensor, but there's a spark from the plugs and fuel flows in under the air filter when the key is turned. So does that rule out the sensor??

The dash lights all behave as normal, so there's nothing really telling me there's a problem.

I'm at a bit of a loss what to look for next, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

it might have been on the cold start and as this causes overfuelling to prevent stall this might be the problem
try catching the engine to start by putting your foot fully on the throttle and cranking over
if it starts dont gun it but coax it to keep it running till excess fuel in bores burnt
next job new spark plugs

this assumes cam belt intact of course

Thanks guys, think you may have pointed towards the problem!

Bit dark, but I just stuck my hand under the belt cover and although the belt is intact, a couple of the teeth felt as if they were hanging off and there's some fine stringy stuff under there as well. I'm assuming then the belt has slipped.

Would this have something to do with belt being too tight / loose, or is it due to another problem because it's probably < 10,000 miles old.

I believe the engine is non interference, so there should be no internal damage, and I'm quite willing to put a new one on, if it's not stupidly hard to do. How hard is it to sort the tuning out afterwards?

I'll have a look in daylight tomorrow, probably confirming the slipping belt.

Thanks again (y)

Belts can go for a number or reasons, mite just have been a cold morning and finished it off, easy job to change,even easyer if its a mk1 with out the engine mgt. Engine valves will be fine just needs re timeing up,theres a guide to doing them on the forum, also change the water pump and get the belt in a kit with the tensioner.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention that fingers99, had someone put a water pump on for me a month or so ago as I was too busy at the time. The part number on the box (EWP028) says it fits my car / engine according to the makers website (engine 176 b4.000). Considering I've been driving around fine until Sunday, could it still be the wrong one or is a too loose belt more likely??

Also, the local car part shop said they have a belt in stock by taking the reg no. Is this enough for them to sell me the correct one?

Thanks.

Update: Even though I've been driving OK for nearly a month, I think the water pump on the car is the wrong one! Just counted 20 teeth on the old one and according to the EWP028 spec, it's a 24 tooth pump which would probably explain why the belt slipped.

Last edited:
I am assuming that the pump I have is for the 8mm belt, hence more teeth needed on the pump, whereas it appears the pump with less teeth is for the 9.25mm belt which I'm assuming is the one my car uses.

Hopefully I got that right as I've been on the phone to where I got the pump from, and they're looking in to it.

Finally been sent the correct water pump and got a cam belt at the local parts shop.

Took me a leisurely 3 hours to sort it all out and now the car runs sweet as a nut!! Not bad for a first attempt. Seems to run better than it did before if I'm honest, so whether the timing was slightly out when the last belt was put on, I don't know.

Just like thank everyone who took the time to offer their advice. It helped at lot and saved me some cash.

(y) (y) (y)

Back