DSCI1556.JPG

Panda (Classic) Mk1 4x4 Panda (Original)

Introduction

Here is Qing Qing, a rescued panda that came close to death
I completed the majority in less than a year and here she is now:

DSCI1556.JPG

Before she was a bit worse!

DSCI1559.JPG
Reactions: albyhf
Looking good . How you getting on with the snorkel ?

The snorkel plan might have changed slightly. I Probably won't be having it go to the roof line but I will put a pipe up to the same height as the battery under the bonnet. I think I will want to avoid any water deeper than that anyway!! I will also add the snorkel filter to make sure any splash that does get through can't easily get into the intake as well. Which reminds me, need to waterproof the electrics still!

Looking good :) Hows the mechanicals holding up. Any teething probs?

Seem to be all working but I had to replace the carburettor for a 3rd time this week. It is the last spare I have so I hope this is ok! Should be now the car has engine exactly as it was in ChiChi before I took her off the road and was running fine back then. Cold starts are not great at the moment as the auto choke isn't properly adjusted but otherwise OK! New dampers have made a massive difference to going over bumps. And gear linkages are still nice and tight! :cool:

More of an update to follow at the end of today I imagine :D

Couple more things to consider - not expensive but can save lots of stress.

On my Mongolia jolly i had fitted 10mm metal mesh in front of the front panel to the protect the rad from small and blarge stones. The plastic grill would dissapear when hitted by 30mm stone at 60mph.

1001451_387626234676946_206830189_n.jpg

1004517_410069665765936_1255041754_n.jpg

There was no stone damage made to rad but the 30mm long bugs were everywhere.

I've ended up with edditionl masquito mesh wrapped arround.

1011465_410069662432603_646138863_n.jpg

Have a look thru my Mongolia Rally photo galery for some inspiration.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep...417437828?id=360017417437828&sk=photos_stream

...Have a look thru my Mongolia Rally photo galery for some inspiration.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep...417437828?id=360017417437828&sk=photos_stream

Inspiring stuff!! I am getting too excited about going and I am not even ready to go yet! :eek:

Anyway, another update. Although there were lots of little things and some were just maintenance (PS a how to on 4x4 carb set-up to follow ;))

So this is the snorkel although it doesn't go to the roof I think this will be enough...
Photo11611.jpg

It has another filter at the top which I might remove if the engine has trouble breathing. But it might help stop dust getting into the main filter in the airbox.

Gave the carburettor a little tune to make sure it started ok in the cold and ran ok when warmed up.

Last thing was to fit the window stickers for the Paris Dakar look that seems popular on this raid lol...
Photo11621.jpg

Photo11631.jpg

The back window needs to have some holes cut into it but I haven't worked out the design yet. I am thinking nice simple "slats" (lancia stratos look? haha) or a Panda face haha. Either way some sort of way of seeing out the back is important! So hard to reverse off the drive like this.... :eek:

Photo11641.jpg

tbh, i would just take the stock filter out of the housing if you are gonna run one at end of the snorkel. Take a spare filter for the snorkel and an airbox filter incase something goes horribly wrong with snorkel pipe.

Good point :eek: Can switch between the 2 (snorkel filter for sandy bit (i.e. morocco) and normal filter aall the way there and back :D

But either way definitely don't need both!

I like how the engine intake noise is nice and loud in the car now though. Sounds quite raw! :devil: The snorkel pipe seems to act like a megaphone up to the driver haha

Not long to go now, wednesday it all kicks off...a week tomorrow we enter Morocco:slayer:

At the moment no plans to sticker up the car more than it is but if there is time maybe do some small detailing. Today we are going to go find some rough ground to test it on with all the weight inside :)

We have had success today with a test run off road near Cheltenham. My friend found this place and I can guarantee I will be coming back here!...Need to repay Andy for his efforts up north and this looks like a fairly challenging way of doing so :p

These bits are reasonably easy but there are some insanely steep bits thats for sure!!...
Photo11931.jpg

Photo11941.jpg

Here we go...
1922432_10203281996510951_1015120409_n.jpg

1966870_10203281996830959_333985533_n.jpg

Photo11951.jpg

Photo11961.jpg

We bottomed out here :eek: but the sump guard didn't fall off so that counts for success I think :devil:

Photo11971.jpg

I am way too excited right now...I want to go now now now now!! :slayer:

Back