DSCI1556.JPG

Panda (Classic) Mk1 4x4 Panda (Original)

Introduction

Here is Qing Qing, a rescued panda that came close to death
I completed the majority in less than a year and here she is now:

DSCI1556.JPG

Before she was a bit worse!

DSCI1559.JPG
Reactions: albyhf
I wish I had known the car was OK to go earlier; it would be even more epic with some more British cars to go with. I wish I had just changed the engine earlier but I really thought the other engine could be saved.

Great move to go for the panda raid...looks like you will have a fantastic time.

Heat shrink the ht leads and a rubber glove over the dizzy cap..

purple haze: I think so. My friend is Spanish also, so I do have a translator although I have been told he will only do this so much haha! I will have to learn maybe a little spanish. There is an Swiss team going as well I think, I might have more success speaking french/german.
Also...Isn't it Vaseline and condoms? or we talking about different activities? :D
andyholli Yes do it, do it, do it! :devil:, also Andy andyPanda4x4) mentioned organising a road trip to Italy in 2015 I think it was. Will try to dig this out if I can find it unless Andy beats me to it :D

Alixcompo, you should definitely do this as well!! I think you may be the first to attempt it in a Terra which would be cool (assuming it is allowed). Although sort of funny that you'd have converted to RH drive only to drive in a Spanish rally full of LH drives :eek:

Interesting Ignition coil placement...

Didge3 This is the standard mk1 4x4 position. Some of the really early ones had the coil upright on the front panel just below the headlight / grille.

Tonight is the big night, got to pay the full amount and book the final ferry back to UK :slayer:

Good evening nutters!

I ran at QingQing screaming again this weekend and got a whole bunch of things done :D

I replaced the rear shock with new ones which wasn't completely necessary but seeing as there are new front shocks and Pandaraid is going to be quite challenging it makes sense I think...
Photo1119.jpg

Photo1121.jpg

Photo1122.jpg

Then I started on the sump guard :devil:
Bought a sheet of 3mm aluminium off the eeeebay (didn't need to be treaded but it was the best value and will still look good)...
Photo1116.jpg

Cut out the shape and started to bend it round the standard 4x4 sump guard frame:
Photo1124.jpg

Welded a captive nut onto the 4x4 sump frame:
Photo1131.jpg

Painted up to look totally professional :D
Photo1132.jpg

Then after some gentle persuasion (hammer) I gave it a try...
Photo1134.jpg

It isn't perfectly straight but some adjustment can be made (hammer :D)

Anyway, I think it will do the job nicely. It is wider than the original but is clear of all suspension bits so should be ok:
Photo1135.jpg

It extends beyond the original one a bit as well and should help to protect the gear linkages and other bits:
Photo1136.jpg

Finally fitted the number plate roughly where it was on the bumper. There will be some spot lights fitted which will bolt through the sump guard and through the bumper I'm grabbing off David :slayer: (@aquamarine) and these will help to pull it tight against the bumper.
Photo1137.jpg

I also had a go at fitting the roof bars I bought ages ago... they don't seem crazy safe on the back bit (where there is a small ridge for it to hook into). You can wiggle it loose if you try. Eventually it will have a platform bolted across the 2 though, which should help to hold it all onto the car... I hope :eek:

Anyway...Pandaraid 2014 entry UK!! Woop Woooooop!!
Photo1138.jpg

I was looking forward to an update on this.

Sump guard looks a triumph, my thoughts are with the Moroccan rocks. And I like a spot lamp as much as the next man but will you be driving at night?

Safari rally cars also mount theirs on the scuttle/A pillar, putting them up away from stone damage and nearer to eye level..

Just a thought.;)

Looks :cool: But then I always had a thing for Qing Qing. Covering those vents in the front bumper isn't going to affect the cooling in the desert heat is it?

I think it looks good but will be better once the spots are fitted. It look a little bare :eek: I don't think it will make much difference to cooling as the vents it covers were so small but will be giving it a test drive to make sure soon enough. The temperatures in Morocco aren't crazy this time of year (max 20 degrees) and in fact will be quite cold at times. They recommend 0-5°C sleeping bags at least.

When you fit the spots on the front you might need to drill the position, remove the bumper and bond bolts tthrough from the inside.
Otherwise the bash plate and bumper would have to be fitted as one piece.
Or do you have a plan...?:)

I think I can reach from the engine side so will be able to drill holes through plate and through bumper (avoiding radiator :eek:) and then just tighten them up! When I get the tatty bumper to play around with I'll see for sure though.

If it turns out having this cover go up to the top of the bumper like this causes engine to run hot then I will probably have to cut it down anyway.

Time will tell :)

I was looking forward to an update on this.

Sump guard looks a triumph, my thoughts are with the Moroccan rocks. And I like a spot lamp as much as the next man but will you be driving at night?

Safari rally cars also mount theirs on the scuttle/A pillar, putting them up away from stone damage and nearer to eye level..

Just a thought.;)

I think mostly it is day time driving but might be a little night driving. I would probably leave the spot lights if I didn't already have them from a previous lifetime :eek:

Trouble with mounting them on the scuttle or A-piller is drilling into bodywork rather than a rust proof plastic bumper. I want to be able to put this car back to original after this as well. I might be able to fit the spot lights to the roof rack though :cool: will see how it goes and put up photos when a decision is made...

The spot lights I have do come with protective covers though :slayer:

Trouble with mounting them on the scuttle or A-piller is drilling into bodywork rather than a rust proof plastic bumper. I want to be able to put this car back to original after this as well. h :slayer:

How about removing door top hinge plastic covers and fabricating some sort of "L" shape brackets which will be mounted onto top door hinge and held in position by the door top hinge mounting bolts?
So the actual spot lamp would be located in front of the vent / on each side.
Wiring could go into the engine bay or thru the vent into cab.

Spots on the roof have to be positioned carefully to avoid lighting up the inside of the car. Try it you will get what I mean.

Even driving at night you will not use them much if someone's in front of you and your driving in a group. I had them fitted each time I've been to maroc...never used them. Still they look cool..:cool:(y) and come in handy when camping. You will use them more for the trip through France and Spain.

Is that when you had underfloor neons :p

yes....yes it was :D

...I'm not ashamed, it was funny:devil:

How about removing door top hinge plastic covers and fabricating some sort of "L" shape brackets which will be mounted onto top door hinge and held in position by the door top hinge mounting bolts?
So the actual spot lamp would be located in front of the vent / on each side.
Wiring could go into the engine bay or thru the vent into cab.

That is a good idea! will have a think, as I currently have set of rally giants which might be a bit big to put there :eek: but I could get a couple of smaller ones to put there....

Spots on the roof have to be positioned carefully to avoid lighting up the inside of the car. Try it you will get what I mean.

Even driving at night you will not use them much if someone's in front of you and your driving in a group. I had them fitted each time I've been to maroc...never used them. Still they look cool..:cool:(y) and come in handy when camping. You will use them more for the trip through France and Spain.

I like the idea of having them there as well. Would be cool to light up the camping area as well as you say. And will look schweeeet! :slayer:

Maybe needs lights in all 3 of these places haha. Could have some energy efficient LED ones on the roof bars for camping...got some ideas flowing thanks guys! :D

I have an full size led spot light on my roof rack at the rear facing backwards...great for camping and flashing idiots who leave their full beams on...:D

haha, I like it. I thought about doing something like that as well. Rear fog lights being left on is another pet hate of mine. Especially when they slowly over take you and hover in front of you...when there is no fog, no rain and clear skies.

I've noticed modern car headlights though are so bright even on dip it's become a light war on the roads! :eek:

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Have you concider such a design?

No need for drilling, just double sided 3M VHB stuff.

I am looking into this:cool:, would be cool to have 4 on the roof like that. Cost and time dependant though. :eek:

Small update:

I picked up a spare tatty mk1 front bumper off David on saturday (@aquamarine (y)) and today I worked at cleaning and fitting it ready to mount the spot lights and sump guard to it. Here it is all cleaned up (it was most dirty haha)...

Photo1141.jpg

To help the bumper paint to stick I keyed the surface with a wire brush and some sand paper to finish off which helped by itself:

Photo1142.jpg

Finally I resprayed using black bumper paint and fitted the bumper mount brackets back on with new shiney bolts :cool:

Photo1144.jpg

and fitted:

Photo1145.jpg

And modified the sump guard to include some vents for better cooling. It didn't overheat on it's way up to Shropshire and back but it was much cooler than it is in Africa so better to be safe (and I will be adding spot lights which may heed air flow a bit! :eek:)...So I cut 4 slots into it:

Photo1146.jpg

Photo1147.jpg

Looking coool...needs more lights though :devil:
Photo1148.jpg

So next job is to mount and wire the spot lights on. :slayer:

Big thanks again for the donated parts, me and QingQing are very greatful :)

Also looking quite good under the bumper as well...I last had this off to do some rust repairs in 2008. So this is 6 years of life sat outside with no garage for the majority of it :slayer:

Photo1140.jpg

Still will need some attention at some point as there is a bit of very light rust showing. :eek:

Some more fun bits added (weather has really held up all this work!).

Roof rack / platform fitted, I needed to modify it slightly to fit onto the rear window frame but otherwise ok. Seems solid enough and required no cutting of bodywork etc :)

Photo1153.jpg

Then fitted some rally giants I used to have fitted to ChiChi...
Photo11561.jpg

Photo11571.jpg

But they are just for show at the moment as they have no wires coming out of them yet! :eek: Thinking of using LED bulbs so that a normal switch can be used instead of a relay and also less demanding on the alternator.

And maybe have another look on ebay for those roof light fittings :devil:

Back