DSCI1303.JPG

Panda (Classic) Mk1 4x4 Panda (Abarth).

Introduction

Here's my special baby:

DSCI1303.JPG

DSCI1305.JPG

Still a work in progress but looking a lot better than when I got her 6 years ago!

The plan:

A112 Abarth engine (build in progress)
More restoration

a cushy life living in a garage and going on awesome holidays to europe :devil:

Si
Re: Mk1 4x4 Panda (Abarth)

Errrrrr, well the engine is being bored at the moment. Waiting to hear back from the machinery :D. But there are other developments now that Qing Qing is the daily drive....

DSCI1576.JPG

I think I have gone one step too far this time, 10 mins and a screwdriver had it off :eek:. It had very poor welding when she was repaired after the accident 3 years ago (about 3 good tacks and a load of sealant was all that was holding the front panel on!!). The buggers who put the front panel on left the old rusting front panel on underneath too!! Made all the panel gaps even worse than a standard panda!!

To be honest, I didnt know whether to laugh or cry. I have no idea how I ended up doing it either!! I only intended to start tidying up all wiring at first. :eek:

So thats the update so far :eek: lol

Si

Last edited:

Yeah, the engine will just roll out now :D

The engine looks very dirty to be honest :D its not the new one yet. its going to look tidy pies when I'm finished and with all this exposed I am going to town on the front end. Some juicy suspension is being concidered. New everything suspensiony i think. After driving the other 4x4 I have realised how floppy the car has gotten over time :eek:

Todays work, slowly disconnecting bits and peices from the engine. Going to try to lift the whole engine/gbox out in one go. Just for the hell of it! :devil:

More updates to come, bare engine bay pics :D UNSENSORED!!

Si

Well, after some wrestling I managed to take out the engine and gearbox with pretty much everything left on. I only had to remove the gearbox side engine mount :slayer:

DSCI1584.JPG

DSCI1582.JPG

I'll do a post of "how to" in the Panda section soon. Although not sure how relevant is will be as the front panel was missing!! haha. Lots to do this weekend now! :eek:

Si

Last edited:

you pulled it out the top instead of lowering it out the bottom?

well, when most of the front of the car is missing.... :p

But yes, usually I would drop the sump guard and lower it out the bottom. I kinda wanted to see if it was possible to take it up now that the front was missing. And success. It didnt take longer either, just getting the usual bits and peices disconnected that takes up the time really.

I can see what is wrong with the clutch mechanism tomorrow anyway, fingers crossed nothing serious, but the clutch is unusually stiff. Will check the pedal box too as that is suposedly a common fault.

Si

Slightly OT, but when we remove engine and auto box from our wrecked Selecta Si ho would you recomend going about it (bear in mind we haven't even got an engine crain :eek: :rolleyes: Might look into buying a 2nd hand one).

A) Lower out bottom (wouldn't know how to lift car over it)
B) Lift out of top like you or
C) Lower engine to floor and after anglegrinding front of car off, push car away from engine so engine stays where is it on the floor (what I've been thinking of doing to far).

Jon.

Slightly OT, but when we remove engine and auto box from our wrecked Selecta Si ho would you recomend going about it (bear in mind we haven't even got an engine crain :eek: :rolleyes: Might look into buying a 2nd hand one).

C) Lower engine to floor and after anglegrinding front of car off, push car away from engine so engine stays where is it on the floor (what I've been thinking of doing to far).

Jon.

could hire an engine crane, local tool place should do it?

Jon.

Best thing to do is get the driveshafts off or out the way and then lower it down the bottom ensuring the car is high enough off the ground to slide the engine/gbox out from underneath. you could take the engine apart before removing it to make things easier. I think in your case the engine is mostly damaged right? Taking the head off would give you lots of room to slide the engine underneath...

Without a crane though, the way to do it is to get a solid beam (wood or metal bar) to rest accros the wings (if there are any wings left :eek:) then tie some rope around the engine and onto the beam. That will help you control the decent of the engine and also act as a safety net in case things go wrong.

To be honest though Jon, if you dont care, then cutting the car appart to get to the engine sounds like an ideal situation. But still make sure when you do that the engine cant drop and wreck itself or crush a toe!! 2 or 3 people should be able to lift the front up and over without any trouble I would have thought. There isnt too much too them really.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Its getting a bit late and I am tired! Hope all goes well.

Si

could hire an engine crane, local tool place should do it?

You ever hired one? Whats a good price :confused:

Thanks Si for the comments, think I'll go for the sit the engine on a pallet job, then cut the car away from it (well on gearbox mount attached to nearside wing/leg as the other two mounts have snapped :p) (y)

Well as ever I have been busy trying to remove rust from my beloved panda!! I feel I have cut away a lot of metal but I am hoping as usual it feels terrible at first then gets a lot better as everything goes back together. I hope my welding skills are up to the task as look what I have gone and bally done:

DSCI2105.JPG

DSCI2107.JPG

DSCI2108.JPG

Oh gosh, I have murdered my car. :eek:

Si

:ROFLMAO:

We'll let you off with manslaughter if it goes wrong as your intentions are good (y) :p

But surely being premeditated doesnt help my case. and the variety of Saw (the movie) like impliments used.

I supose I am not as bad as Saw though, as I didnt make my panda use them on herself to prove she respects life.

Anyway, more rust grinding then its time to start making bits to plug the holes! More photo's soon I expect.

Si

One sugestion if I may,try to make holes and plug edges straight as much as you can,a lot easyer to weld and prepare for paint.
Sorry on my bad english.

Hi there, thanks for the advice, no need to apologise for your english, it is good. I will hopefully do some welding this weekend. I am quite excited as its been a long time coming, but there allways seems to be something else to do around the house!!

Cheers,
Si

Back