DSCI1303.JPG

Panda (Classic) Mk1 4x4 Panda (Abarth).

Introduction

Here's my special baby:

DSCI1303.JPG

DSCI1305.JPG

Still a work in progress but looking a lot better than when I got her 6 years ago!

The plan:

A112 Abarth engine (build in progress)
More restoration

a cushy life living in a garage and going on awesome holidays to europe :devil:

Si
Re: Mk1 4x4 Panda (Abarth)

What metod of welding are you using?(mig,tig...)If you are new in that job I can send you links with step by step how to.

I am using a 170 Mig welder. I have done a little but still need a lot more experience. If you know of some links that would help, they would be very much apreciated! :cool:

Si

Cheers!!
Well all ready to go for the weekend now. I think the next bit will be to weld up the A panels. But I will need to be able to curve metal sheet so more money to spend!! It is getting very expensive, I have just signed up for 3 years of welding gas :eek: Was annoying buying the disposable ones, they run out so quick!! I will now be doing a lot more welding to get my moneys worth for the year!! An adapted 4x4 sump guard to accomodate a roll bar I think is one thing on the list.

Also bought some 0,6mm wire, which should be better for the thin Italian metal.

So, let the game begin!!

Si

Another productive weekend, and one less hole in ChiChi!! This was much harder, couldnt stop blowing holes throught the thin bodywork!!

DSCI2124.JPG

DSCI2122.JPG

Only thing is....need to make a new indicator hole now ay!! :eek:

Anyway, thats 2 holes down and 5 more to go! Must finish soon, I miss driving her :(

Si

Hows it all going Si???...Any updates???

There has been a little progress, but it was getting too cold to work in the garage in the dark. Got the A panel finished on one side though, and the front panel is ready to go on so not too bad.

I also have the abarth engine back from the shop so I am ready to go there too. Summer is just around the corner and I am sure I can get the marbella and Chichi much further progressed. Will need some help building the engine though, so will be shipping my dad ove here at some point (if he's reading this, it will be the first he's heard about it lol).

Thanks for checking up on the progress, I was just thinking on sunday that I was really missing how she sounded with the stainless exhaust.

Si

Well had another blast at the beloved Abarth to be:

New wing welded on, spent most of the time fixing the welder though and unfortunately some poor welding resulted but it will have to do. I'm not pulling the wing off again!

DSCI2576.JPG

DSCI2580.JPG

DSCI2581.JPG

Getting there!

Si

Last edited:

Thanks for the pointers. I will look to see if I can find the 2K polyurethan next time I am at the shop!

METHOD: I drilled holes through the inner wing and welded through to replicate spot welds. Is this a Plug weld? I have no idea about the names of things lol. It seems to have worked well enough but it took a few tries to get the hole size and set up just right.

The paint I am using is an acid etch primer which I painted on before and after welding. I've not tried this before but it stayed on quite well. No idea how good it is for corrosion protection yet though.

Last edited:

That is indeed a plug weld! Welding is such a tricky thing to master, I find it very satisfying when I get it right, but its so easy to get wrong as I'm sure you know. At least you have access with a grinder there to get rid of any dodgy bits!

I recommend you get one of these if you dont already have one:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/edge-setterjoggler-with-hole-punch

So much easier than messing around with a drill and it meas you can make seemless joints without having to attempt any butt welds.

Acid etch should be alright, aslong as there was no rust on the panel beforehand, infact its exactly what should be used on bare metal. 2K paint is only really for professional use, it is very poisonous so you need proper extraction and breathing apparatus to use it.

That is indeed a plug weld! Welding is such a tricky thing to master, I find it very satisfying when I get it right, but its so easy to get wrong as I'm sure you know. At least you have access with a grinder there to get rid of any dodgy bits!

I recommend you get one of these if you dont already have one:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/edge-setterjoggler-with-hole-punch

So much easier than messing around with a drill and it meas you can make seemless joints without having to attempt any butt welds.

Acid etch should be alright, aslong as there was no rust on the panel beforehand, infact its exactly what should be used on bare metal. 2K paint is only really for professional use, it is very poisonous so you need proper extraction and breathing apparatus to use it.

nope, havent got one of those... its on the shopping list tho ;) Thanks!!

My gooood friend have a little shipyard,makes alu and steel boats and he use 2K epoxy and p.u. paint,and one man that is in restoration long time ago use sand blasting-2K epoxy-welding-2K epoxy etc...
I used it few times( epoxy and p.u.) and all I can say it is genius stuff:worship::worship::worship:
For chassis p.u is the best in combo with epoxy2K
-2 or 3 hads of epoxy
- over epoxy 2 hands of 2k p.u.
Few pics to see how it looks when done by the pro..
Epoxy-red
p.u-black

Attachments

• 29177139.jpg
    29177139.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 65
  • img0099ia.jpg
    img0099ia.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 61
  • img0118gm.jpg
    img0118gm.jpg
    730.6 KB · Views: 47
  • img0269kd.jpg
    img0269kd.jpg
    988.9 KB · Views: 45

Well another successful day! Front panel now all welded on and painted. I used zinc primer on this, and the welding seems to have been quite successful. Feels very strong to me!

Here she is:
DSCI2592.JPG

Will be back together and driving to Italy in no time!!

Just a quick re-cap....
DSCI1573.JPG

Sometimes you have to look at the before to know its better lol!

Si

Last edited:

love this little car, wanted a early polo for ages, only had a 750 fire, that seemed slow but almost unbustable lol

Back