Technical milage around town

Currently reading:
Technical milage around town

A follow-up to my earlier post, prompted by varesecrazy’s comment... trip hasn’t reset so far as I can see: (but I do remember with the previous (169) model it did 'turn over to zero miles' at 9999. I think there too though, the mpg figure 'carried over')

I’ve resurrected this post to report that my trip counter *has* now reset to zero. It happened at about 31,500 miles, which I suspect corresponds to 50,000 km. it chose to do it on a fast run down the M1 from Derbyshire and so the average fuel consumption dropped to 49 mpg for a while. Already back to 52 though :)

Last edited:
Re: mileage around town

update my new 2020 4x4 is getting better 800 miles on clock now and up to a whopping 26 mpg average lol

Oh deer. I had one like that, it did creep up to averaging 35-37 and could just.... with an almighty effort be coaxed to 50mpg with extreme effort. My new 2019 one is 41- 45 and 55+ on a run, but on its summer tyres. Winter tyres do set it back but I have not really concentrated on economy as the Twinair doesnt really play at this.

Our 1.2's do 46 minimum and up to 65 on a run.

Come back Bravo 1.6D which did 60 minimum and up to 85 on a run. Mysteriously it emitted more bad emissions from half the fuel according to government sources. The fuel must have been black magic???

I should take it outside and give it a severe warning about dire consequences and see if it improves. Oddly, unlike others on here, I have not noticed any change or improvement in power or economy on the newer car as the miles have gone up. Try giving it an Italian service, you have nothing to loose as long as you don't go mad. You might just free off the injectors.

On the 2017 car the trip zero'd at 4000 miles. Currently I have not had the battery connected for long enough at a stretch to find out about Noop(anda)

Last edited:
Surprised that the first week I drove it as I felt it needed to, with disastrous mpg results, then the second week I've been obeying the shift indicators, keeping in the torque band and not stretching the gear changes and it's been exactly the same reported mpg...

My 2017 car was just like that. I never really got my head around the eco button effect. There seem to be two engine maps and each need different driving styles.

2019 car seems more linear and the eco button had a notable effect. I still think eco off and gentle driving is most economical on the open road and eco in town. The new one goes well enough in eco mode for me to not bother with the off switch unless I want SPEED for overtaking or whopping great hills.

What model tyres are they. I have Mich Alpin4 on mine and they seem OK all round but are noisier than the Conti summer tyres it came on.

See post 33 - https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii/485780-milage-around-town-3.html?p=4588667

My 4x4 had Continental CrossContact Winter tyres from new (until recently, the factory standard tyre on the 4x4 model). Winter tyres will be noiser than pure summer tyres because there's more knobbly bits in the tread. Michelin describe the CrossClmate the other way round to most all season tyres, calling it a summer tyre that achieves the 3 peak snowflake symbol, rather than being winter tyres that are also OK in the summer.

Don't get me wrong - they are still noiser than I'd expect a pure summer tyre to be, but quieter than what came off. And the wet grip and dry braking is a heck of a lot better -- now I bottle out cornering hard in summer rain long before the tyres do, which is not something I could say for the Conti's that gave me a few scares.

Last edited:
So far, I've done about 2.5k miles since buying the Panda, I've given up on stop/start and the eco button, it's alright for stop start traffic as I still find the car a little jerky, but I am used to more progressive clutch feel and I have a variety of different shoes.

My twinair is currently sat at 32.9mpg, my commute daily is about 7 mi motorway, with about 1.5 mi A roads, and it doesn't get babied on the motorway either. Otherwise its local A & B roads, it hasn't seen any city driving in my ownership.

I can live with the 32mpg, it's better than l the 28-odd I was getting out my 159 with the same commute, and the 30-31 I was getting out my 147 twinspark with no motorway.

If the engine does loosen up further, then we'll see what it gets, it's only just about to hit 13k

Trip A and/or Trip B will reset automatically after 999.99hours of driving or the ignition being switched on, unless the trip is reset.

That would tally, I suspect? An hour a day for six days a week, with two weeks off a year, for three years in total equals 900 hours. My car is coming up for three years old, and that does seem feasible!

Last edited:
not something I could say for the Conti's that gave me a few scares.
The Panda Nut thanked for this post

I had the Contis on my last one and suffered terminal understeer on a dry road. I found them A1 in snow though. The Alpin4 is a winter / mud and snow and seems to be pretty good in all conditions but noisier. Im interested in your experience with the cross climates as I tried some on my mothers Perodua, and they seemed pretty good. Vastly better than the Malaysian Goodyears it came on.. Those were very scary on wet roads. I read that Cross climates Achilles heel is wet road cornering aquaplaning. (Auto Express Tyre Review) My own experience was that this was not an issue at any same speed. I would have followed the same route but for my free alloy wheels allowing two sets. The Michelins are certainly notably better in winter conditions than the summer Conti tyres. Insurance have asked me to inform them when the wheels are changed over each season. Who l knows why it should reduce their risk as does the CBC but they are not remotely interested in that. Might have to admit it should reduce my premium if they acknowledged it I suppose.

My mk2 2008 1.2 60hp petrol does around 5l\100km around town. Incredibly, last week did 3,6l\100km ater a 55km trip back home on country and city roads. Even after 13years, hybrid systems and a lot more technology, nothing beats a small light car with a simple natural aspirated engine. Why are cars today so complicated, big and heavy????!!!!!

I can live with the 32mpg, it's better than l the 28-odd I was getting out my 159 with the same commute, and the 30-31 I was getting out my 147 twinspark with no motorway.

Sounds like your enjoying the Panda!

I always feel you have to compare it with something else with 85-90HP and if driven briskly I feel the mpg probably stacks up OK. The 2WD Twinairs seem to deliver 45+ from various comments on here but are going to be quite a bit lighter and without the drag of the driveline.

My mk2 2008 1.2 60hp petrol does around 5l\100km around town. Incredibly, last week did 3,6l\100km ater a 55km trip back home on country and city roads. Even after 13years, hybrid systems and a lot more technology, nothing beats a small light car with a simple natural aspirated engine. Why are cars today so complicated, big and heavy????!!!!!

I could not agree more. But its obviously down to the market...

I often wonder who is leading the somewhat pointless charge up the horsepower ladder. Customers or manufacturers.

I always used to insist on a 10% mpg improvement from one car the the next. Its no longer possible to match the economy of 20 years ago.

I could not agree more. But its obviously down to the market...

I often wonder who is leading the somewhat pointless charge up the horsepower ladder. Customers or manufacturers.

I always used to insist on a 10% mpg improvement from one car the the next. Its no longer possible to match the economy of 20 years ago.

Safety equipment it a large part of it abs airbags associated wires
As well as extra stuff for the car to make modern crash standard extra metal crumple zones
All add several 100kgs to the weight of a car

I’ve always been very sceptical of premium petrols, but my 2020 TA 4x4 with 5K miles is returning improved economy using Shell Vpower. A marked increase in mpg was noticeable from the second tankful on. I’m now routinely getting 45-50 in mixed driving, and 55 on long runs without much difficulty. It also seems to generally run quieter and smoother, and it makes ECO mode slightly less objectionable.

I’ve always been very sceptical of premium petrols, but my 2020 TA 4x4 with 5K miles is returning improved economy using Shell Vpower. A marked increase in mpg was noticeable from the second tankful on. I’m now routinely getting 45-50 in mixed driving, and 55 on long runs without much difficulty. It also seems to generally run quieter and smoother, and it makes ECO mode slightly less objectionable.

I remember reading a magazine article from a publication here in Australia where they tested 95 octane vs 98 octane in a Peugeot 208 (with the 3-cyl turbo). They actually found that the extra cost of the 98 was outweighed by the better economy that it gave.

I know, not quite apples to apples with the Panda, but interesting non-the-less. It seems that small capacity turbo engines in general do much better on higher octane fuels than more "traditional" engines.

When the UK moves to regular grade E10 petrol later this year, the economy difference with E5 super unleaded fuel might be considerably greater.

latest update well my little panda never got any better on the mpg (19 and 24 on a run ) dont know how they could make an engine so uneconomical so finally traded it in at 3000 mile luxury car mileage from basic car so traded it against a 2.2 diesel range rover with all the toys on the same runs now getting 26 and 34 and still the same size right boot Shure there must have been something wrong with mine but dealers said its running fine

latest update well my little panda never got any better on the mpg (19 and 24 on a run ) dont know how they could make an engine so uneconomical so finally traded it in at 3000 mile luxury car mileage from basic car so traded it against a 2.2 diesel range rover with all the toys on the same runs now getting 26 and 34 and still the same size right boot Shure there must have been something wrong with mine but dealers said its running fine

I just read in the Telegraph that the 850cc engine in the Robin Reliant managed 60mpg.

So much for progress!

Back