Technical milage around town

Currently reading:
Technical milage around town

hi all got myself a new twin air panda cross 4x4 just coming up towards 400 miles on the clock now mostly short runs but the trip comp is showing average mileage of 20.2 but the instantaneous is showing 50/90 and 13 up hill never had a fiat before so no idea what these do mileage wise but it doesn't seem a lot even for an engine that's running cold my Peugeot 108 that i traded against this one was doing 38 / 42 on the same runs and my big old yank with the 5.7 v8 does 19 on the same runs lol

This engine should warm up every quickly, it is v. small and cast iron block. From what I understand the 4x4 cross has a low ratio gear box. People say it has a low 1st gear (which is annoying as you run out of revs in 1st very quickly like a 1990s diesel) but from what I have seen all the ratios are low and the 6th gear is lower than the 5th gear in the standard twin air. It is also heavier. In short it is like a 4x4 with a low range box (rather than low & high range).

The close ratio box should make it more fun to drive and keep it in the sweet spot, excepting the need to "bang, bang, bang" through the gears from the get go. But it probably does not do economy any favours. People say winter tyres are more important than 4WD in many cases, so I would think the Trekking would be better option but that is no longer available.

I think it does :)
I also have a Brompton folding bike converted by "Nano" to electric power, as well and it does not require a number plate, if it is limited, as mine is, to a max powered speed of 15 mph.
I do have insurance on the Brompton as well but I don't think it is compulsory (when limited to 15mph)
As a matter of interest the Nano motor is more powerful than the Cyclemaster although the Cyclemaster plus a heavy Hercules bike is a lot heavier,
and the Hercules has only a single gear
I'll try to look up the relative power outputs:idea:

gone upto 24.8 now

At under 1000 miles..

My 2013 was so tight it would only pull top gear downhill :eek:

You will notice marked improvements as the miles tick by..
If you plan to keep it longer term.. I would recommend oil changes at 6k intervals..
That 'breaking in' means particles floating in the oil..
I dont want that in there too long

My punto is oiltight and returning great power..and mpg at 56k

Best mpg to date : 83
empty A road on a summer morning
Twinairs love WARM AIR :)

Last edited:
update my new 2020 4x4 is getting better 800 miles on clock now and up to a whopping 26 mpg average lol

My (new to me) 2013 is averaging 29mpg according to the OBD, that's 12mi motorway and probably 3-4mi B roads per day

I bought it as my remapped diesel was averaging a pitiful 27-29mpg and I wanted something better on fuel. ?

My (new to me) 2013 is averaging 29mpg according to the OBD, that's 12mi motorway and probably 3-4mi B roads per day

I bought it as my remapped diesel was averaging a pitiful 27-29mpg and I wanted something better on fuel. [emoji23]
Fill it up full , reset trip, use about 3/4 tank of fuel , fill it full again , make note of trip miles and how many litres used.
Calculate mpg .
Let us know.

No idea how your obd works out average mpg , is it a plug in accessory?
It could be indicating USA mpg which is different to UK mpg.

Do you drive it hard?

Fill it up full , reset trip, use about 3/4 tank of fuel , fill it full again , make note of trip miles and how many litres used.
Calculate mpg .
Let us know.

Do you drive it hard?

Sorry, no, it's my built in display, It was filled up on Sunday so some way to go until it's next fill-up.

It isn't driven hard, but since buying it I've discovered there are 2 motorway speeds on my commute, 50 and 80, there is no in-between, and you're constantly changing lanes to get around people, that and a notorious bottleneck sees me having to put the foot down to get off the motorway which won't be helping.

It's not the end of the world, I've never owned a car which bettered 30mpg, and I'm making a saving on tax and insurance at least!

Last edited:
Sorry, no, it's my built in display,
that and a notorious bottleneck sees me having to put the foot down to get off the motorway which won't be helping.

It's not the end of the world, I've never owned a car which bettered 30mpg, and I'm making a saving on tax and insurance at least!

Big queues.. that's something Ive not seen for 370 days..

My MPG started at 7 its now averaging 57.. a whole lot of :

Motor freeing off.. and adapting my driving to suit
( not helped by owning 4 puntos.. 1 x TA and 3 x Derv )

As mentioned a few times, despite being a 2013 model,it arrived at my door a couple of weeks back having covered a grand total of 10,877 miles, even now it's covered about 300 miles since and the difference is noticeable, bit more eager to pick up, and I suppose I do have to be first away from the lights....

Surprised that the first week I drove it as I felt it needed to, with disastrous mpg results, then the second week I've been obeying the shift indicators, keeping in the torque band and not stretching the gear changes and it's been exactly the same reported mpg...

Do you drive it hard?

OBD... on board display. The dash display of mpg. Mine never been reset since I picked the car up with just 4 miles on it. Now 29200-ish and the average slowly creeping up. Hoping to see it improve having replaced the original winter tyres with Michelin CrossClimate+ Let’s see...

Last edited:
OBD... on board display. The dash display of mpg. Mine never been reset since I picked the car up with just 4 miles on it. Now 29200-ish and the average slowly creeping up. Hoping to see it improve having replaced the original winter tyres with Michelin CrossClimate+ Let’s see...

That is interesting

The punto resets every 10,000 kms.. they all did MEP told me back in @2014

Our panda sounds like lunchbeers

2013 model TA Had @10,900 on purchase

21.5k now.. freeing off nicely..
Thanks to Covid.. the 2013 tyres are still on it.. and half.worn :eek:

That is interesting

The punto resets every 10,000 kms.. they all did MEP told me back in @2014

Pretty sure it's not reset. Last time I looked the trip milage was nearly the same as the total, both well over 25k miles (actually about 3 miles more on the trip... presume from being moved around before being taken out of 'dealer mode' when it was pre-reg'd and then likely sat in a corner of the dealership in Sunderland)

Last edited:
A follow-up to my earlier post, prompted by varesecrazy’s comment... trip hasn’t reset so far as I can see: (but I do remember with the previous (169) model it did 'turn over to zero miles' at 9999. I think there too though, the mpg figure 'carried over')

Attachments

• 6B399039-6241-40E2-A989-D0D31395D25C.jpeg
    6B399039-6241-40E2-A989-D0D31395D25C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 4EBD29EE-A1C5-4B51-945C-6F5177038F9F.jpeg
    4EBD29EE-A1C5-4B51-945C-6F5177038F9F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I'm waiting for my tyres to wear before replacing, I'm looking at the Goodyear Vectors hopefully be a little less drone-y

I 'gave up ' waiting! I'd swapped front to rear last autumn, and rears were at 3mm and fronts at about 4.5. Given that 'winter' tyres loose their winter grip sipes at 4mm or less (which is why the limit is 4mm in areas where 3PMS tyres have to be used in the winter season), I decided it was time for them (the original-fit Conti CrossContact Winter tyres of the 4x4) to go. Costco had the Vectors at a good price, but had sold out. The Michelins were more expensive, but with a discount for doing all four (which some say you are supposed to do with a 4x4 anyway...). The new tyres are much quieter.

Last edited:
The Michelins are also quieter than Goodyear Vectors in my experience. Only downside is that they are not wearing quite as well, which surprised me as Michelins can usually be relied upon to outlast everything else.

Last edited:
Michelin 'suggest' they should easily last 30000 miles. The newer 'Version 2' has a mileage guarantee of 60,000 miles in some markets. Its interesting to note though that they start out with a less-deep tread when new ('only' 7mm, where most tyres are 8 or more). The also claim that the winter performance remains right to the 1.6mm wear limit markers. Time will tell there. For now, they are better than the Conti's - quieter, better dry grip, and the car runs straight with needing constant small corrections. Its not rained since I got them..

Back