Technical master cylinder??

Currently reading:
Technical master cylinder??

leanna

:confused:
hello,

i have a p reg punto sporting and just been told the master cylinder may need replacing but not been given a price yet....any ideas how much this might set me back??

Re: master cyliner??

It's not much....if youre talking abbout brakes master cilinder, dunno any other :D Where I live it's 45 EUR, let someone from GB tell you the price, just wanted to calm you a bit :D

Leanna...

When the m/c is knacked, you usually get a very soft pedal that any amount of bleeding can't fix. If you hold the brake pressed down, the pedal has a resistance but gradually sinks (imagine if you were pressing it through butter).

There are a couple different m/c's you could have, depending on the brakes fitted to your car.

Find the brake servo unit. It's the big circular thing in the engine room, bolted to the bulkhead where the steering wheel is. The m/c is the knobbly bit bolted to it with 2 nuts. It has 4 brake pipes connected to in and two tubes running up to the fluid reservoir.

If your m/c is long and spindly, like a bone, then you can get a pattern m/c made by an aftermarket manufacturer (Bendix, Delphi etc.) for about £45.

If your m/c is a short stubby thing with a big flat circular plate on the end, with 2 dimples in it, then it's a Bosch. These are only available from Fiat as a genuine part @ £95.

If your dealer says "£200" they've quoted for the servo as well. You only need the m/c so get them to check the part number.

M/c is fairly easy to fit.. but you need to bleed the entire brake system and the clutch too (as it shares the reservoir, which you have to disconnect, so you get air in it). A mechanic will have a pressure bleed system and can do it in about 20 minutes but if you do it with a tube and manual pedal pumping you can be there hours!

Ralf S.

puntos are sometines hard to bleed and the m/c have a habit of sticking forward witch can be solved with the tap of a hammer so dont go rushing out to buy a new one untill your sure yours is knakered

why are you replacing it anyway because someone told you to or have you had any symptoms yourself can you tell us more

the hand brake light keeps staying on so took it the garage and they topped up the brake fluid and told me to keep an eye on it, after about 2 weeks the light started coming on again and the level had dropped. took it back to the garage and the mechanic said he thinks its the brake master cylinder. but hasnt said how much just yet.

he thinks its that anyway, cant think why else am losing brake fluid so quick.....

Have you checked the wheel cylinders? These can be prone to leak.

hardly prone but a possibility if brake fluid is not changed regularly

if the m/c seal are leaking fluid will emerge out a small hole at the very back underneath of the cylinder and run down the servo
this is to stop fluid getting in to the servo

it is unlikely the m/c is at fault

one of your brake line is likely leaking

has your car had it's brake pipe recall give fiat a ring and find out it's free and involves the replacement off all metal brake lines as they are rusting through on mk1's due to bad quality metal

The master cylinder is indeed easy to replace. Why don't you get one from a scrapper? I got mine for £10 when (I thought) mine was dead. It will keep you going...
By the way check indeed all the pipework - mine had a faulty brake pipe rather than a defective m/c after all...

The master cylinder is indeed easy to replace. Why don't you get one from a scrapper? I got mine for £10 when (I thought) mine was dead. It will keep you going...
By the way check indeed all the pipework - mine had a faulty brake pipe rather than a defective m/c after all...
yeah,,i replaced mine myself too..

Last edited:
Back