Technical bleeding clutch cylinder

Currently reading:
Technical bleeding clutch cylinder

stevemarl

Hi, I`m currently changing the 20 y.o. hydraulic fluid on a 2003 1,2 8v Punto. Apart from the usual seized pipes, snapped nipples, which I expected, I`m a bit bewildered by the clutch cylinder. It seems to be a composite material and what looks like a nipple moulded into top surface. Haynes says to remove hose clip and pull hose out "one click". This sounds strange. Can anyone confirm or explain this procedure, (where does fluid come out for example?) and also can it be done without removing the battery tray/ is the battery tray removable? Thanks in advance,
Steve

Hi,

try following this thread,

If I recall correctly, you can lift the clip up and it'll open up enough space for you to bleed it. Then you can push it down again and let go of the clutch and continue to do so.

Hi,

try following this thread,

If I recall correctly, you can lift the clip up and it'll open up enough space for you to bleed it. Then you can push it down again and let go of the clutch and continue to do so.

Thanks for your reply, and that link, really helpful, answered all my questions.
Cheers!
Steve

Hi again,
just to clarify, I need to pull this clip out from above? TBH it`s pretty corroded: I`ve been soaking in penetrating fluid for days and it still won`t budge. Afraid if I try TOO hard it`ll just break and then I`ll be screwed. I`ve done all the brake hydraulics, so may just leave the clutch...

WP_20221006_11_39_49_Pro.jpg

Yep a flat head screw driver just through it and pop it up. Shouldn't take too much force, if you're worried, use WD40. if you feel as it's too much force then don't continue, just push it down and then try lifting again, might need some wiggling.

and yeah I know what you mean, it took me 2months to get rid of the brake fluid smell and roughly 1month for the clutch fluid smell. Hated it.

Just so you know, you don't have to completely take the clip off. At least I didn't and for me it was fine. @stevemarl I can't really remember how it went but I know I didn't have to take the clip off.

Just so you know, you don't have to completely take the clip off. At least I didn't and for me it was fine. @stevemarl I can't really remember how it went but I know I didn't have to take the clip off.
Thanks for your help, it`s much appreciated. Looking at my picture, the clip actually looks much better there, magnified, than it did with just my normal eyes. It does look possible so I`ll give it another day or 2 of penetrating fluid and try again next week.
Thanks again!
Steve

Thanks for your help, it`s much appreciated. Looking at my picture, the clip actually looks much better there, magnified, than it did with just my normal eyes. It does look possible so I`ll give it another day or 2 of penetrating fluid and try again next week.
Thanks again!
Steve
I had a look on my car.

If you grab hold of the rusty hose crimping where it goes into the slave cylinder you can wiggle it in a slightly rotating direction and at various ups and downs and sideways movements. It is lightly held by the clip and an o ring. Without all the rust the two open parts of the clip which are pointing downwards move away from each other as the square section that is held by the clip pushes the clip apart as you rotate the rusty hose part *slightly* . The clip stops the rusty hose from rotating but it can move quite a bit.

With a bit of care you must be able to break that free. Probably just with your hands. The rusty hose noticeably moves around in the slave cylinder I can easily feel it rocking around using my hand.

As the other poster said, and i also cannot remember exactly but i think the clip has two inserted positions. So before you start pulling the hose out clean up the clip and replace it so it pulls out slightly and you can then pull out the hose about less than 2 mm. it is a very small amount. otherwise the thing pops out and you got fluid everywhere. Once the hose is out slightly the fluid comes up by itself.

Last edited:
I had a look on my car.

If you grab hold of the rusty hose crimping where it goes into the slave cylinder you can wiggle it in a slightly rotating direction and at various ups and downs and sideways movements. It is lightly held by the clip and an o ring. Without all the rust the two open parts of the clip which are pointing downwards move away from each other as the square section that is held by the clip pushes the clip apart as you rotate the rusty hose part *slightly* . The clip stops the rusty hose from rotating but it can move quite a bit.

With a bit of care you must be able to break that free. Probably just with your hands. The rusty hose noticeably moves around in the slave cylinder I can easily feel it rocking around using my hand.

As the other poster said, and i also cannot remember exactly but i think the clip has two inserted positions. So before you start pulling the hose out clean up the clip and replace it so it pulls out slightly and you can then pull out the hose about less than 2 mm. it is a very small amount. otherwise the thing pops out and you got fluid everywhere. Once the hose is out slightly the fluid comes up by itself.
That`s excellent - I`ll definitely have a go at twisting and `working` the hose a bit, before trying the clip again. With al the penetrating fluid it`s had it must eventually start to loosen. Also useful to know how far the hose moves etc, etc. Thanks for taking the time.
Steve

That`s excellent - I`ll definitely have a go at twisting and `working` the hose a bit, before trying the clip again. With al the penetrating fluid it`s had it must eventually start to loosen. Also useful to know how far the hose moves etc, etc. Thanks for taking the time.
Steve
Of course, it does beg the question - why oh why couldn`t they just fit a normal nipple like anyone else????

Back