Technical Massive hassle trying to bleed clutch

Currently reading:
Technical Massive hassle trying to bleed clutch

hey all!

helping a mate out earlier with a mk2b, his slave cylinder looked to be leaking a little so i offered to stick a new one on for him.. took it off and bolted the new one on but it just wont bleed!

it is the type where you can't turn the bleed nipple, you just pull the clip up and pull the clutch line out 10mm as i read on here but it just trickled out a few bubbles and that was it. clip back on and still no clutch :bang:

tried putting a pipe on it into some brake fuild as you would bleeding brakes and all it did was throw bubbles out, way more air than could be within the system.

we even tried putting the old slave cylinder back on and it wont bleed, kinda stuck now as his car is outside of mine and obviously he needs it :p

any ideas? my uncle has one of the air bleeders for brakes.. might give that a go but surely it shouldn't be this difficult, it was driving before the old cylinder came off..

thanks!

That little clip does Yes come out - yes it should allow you to bleed it up with a reasonable pipe on the nipple to watch air escape

If you think its sucking air in - use grease to seal the area to prevent extra air

A pressure bleeder might help, but tbh punto slave cylinders dont usually let go

Ziggy

If the system is working ok you should be able to pull the clutch hose all of the way out and pump fluid into a container without using a pressure feeding system on top of the reservoir.

When you take the clip out of the slave the hose comes out quite a small amount to enable you to bleed. 1 cm sounds far too much. It is just a slight feelable 'click' back from fully in and should be able to feel it lock into the bleed position when the parts are clean.

Another possibility here is the master is blocked up and it just so happened you had not noticed it. You probably will not be able to clean that out and you will need a new one. Not expensive but a bit of a job to replace. When my master got blocked up the pedal would slowly move to the floor after a few days of use and could not be pulled back up again. Undoing the slave end made the pedal spring back up as I recall. I probably had a small leak on the first seal so it travelled down slowly but could not refill. Maybe yours seals well but is blocked so you cannot refill it . Thinking about it now, my clutch pedal was loose for a long time before it became so bad i had to fix it and it is hard to notice it is a problem.

I am fairly sure there should be a fluid route from the brake master thru to the slave when the pedal is fully up. So if you leave the hose disconnected it should drip. That route enables the system to refill with fluid if there are leaks for example at the slave. No drip suggests the master is blocked. There are though two holes in the master? :-(

I cannot recall exactly how i did it now, but somehow i was able to refill my hose with fluid from the slave end - possibly i put the fluid container somewhere high and then pumped for a while and then allowed the air to travel up the clear tube i was using, and repeated till no more air came out.

Last edited:
many thanks for that, 10mm is deffinitely how much it comes out when you raise the clip, it has to come past the bleed nipple.. checked on here and someone else mentioned about 10mm too.

borrowing an easy bleeder on wednesday so i'll give it a bash then :)

who'd have thought it could be such a huge hassle!?

many thanks for that, 10mm is deffinitely how much it comes out when you raise the clip, it has to come past the bleed nipple.. checked on here and someone else mentioned about 10mm too.

I checked mine. It comes out about 2-3mm to allow fluid to move up my tube without pumping.

P7140155.JPG

P7140157.JPG

Here is a video to show fluid rising up the pipe even with the pipe pulled out such a small amount

[ame]https://youtu.be/0dD4Jl8TeBI[/ame]

Last edited:
thanks for that, will have another look tomorrow as he's coming to mine.

wish they'd just used a proper bleed nipple! even when it works as it should it's not any easier.

don't think this is the issue with this car though, it must be pulling air in as a monumental amount of air was bubbling out and showing no sign of stopping, something is a miss somewhere i just didn't have masses of time last week

Last edited:
thanks for that, will have another look tomorrow as he's coming to mine.

wish they'd just used a proper bleed nipple! even when it works as it should it's not any easier.

don't think this is the issue with this car though, it must be pulling air in as a monumental amount of air was bubbling out and showing no sign of stopping, something is a miss somewhere i just didn't have masses of time last week

If you are pumping air the problem must be at the clutch master end. There is a rubber hose between the brake reservoir and the clutch master about a third of the way up the brake reservoir. I think the hose just pulls off the clutch master. It could be blocked and broken perhaps??

Alternately it is just blocked at the master and you are sucking air in and out?

I did the work to replace the clutch master from the top which was fiendishly difficult and at the time i did not have a proper set of spanners and sockets and methods to be safely under the car. It was a mother of a job to get my hands in there anyway.

Last edited:
I also did not know the correct way** to separate the plastic balljoint at the clutch pedal and ended up dismantling the thing and then damaging the metal ball on the new clutch master putting it together again. If you break that small white nylon clip you are looking at a replacement clutch pedal!!

** @Ziggy122

Last edited:
Back