General Marea Weekend Queries

Currently reading:
General Marea Weekend Queries

TOPHAT

Hello (y) I have a Marea Weekend JTD105 and thinking of buying a slightly newer one but with only 103k miles (mine has 162k). The newer one has 2 problems worrying me - one is the rear windscreen wiper is not working. This seems to be common but how expensive to repair and is it a diy job. 2nd point - the passenger side air bag warning light stays on - possible ECU faulty - new one reportdly to be £200. Does this sound correct and whats the chance of getting 2nd hand unit?? Thanks for reading/replying. Joe :wave:

hi tophat, both issues are nothing to worry about:) . the rear wiper is prone to packing up but this is usually due to lack of use and can be repaired quite easily if you have a bit of mechanical know how(y) , take off the inner cover off to gain access to the motor (3 screws and pull off the panel to release from the clips) , remove the wiper arm and blade and then undo the 3 mounting bolts to release the motor from the tailgate. once the motor is off there is a small circlip to remove near to where the shaft comes out where the wiper arm is mounted (be careful as they are quite fragile :eek: but a bit of wd40 should ease it out) then unscrew the rear cover. next gently tap out the shaft from the housing out of the back cover complete with its gearing, it is in this shaft housing where it usually gets corroded up and stops things working. once its out, clean out inside the shaft housing with a small file and clean the shaft with coarse sandpaper, dryfit it again to make sure its free-moving and then re-assemble everything with grease to prevent making this a yearly exercise!:bang: it all may sound tricky if you haven't done this sort of thing before but its quite straight forward and logical and is much more satisfying than just buying a replacement new one(y) . as for the pasenger air-bag, ignore it, your gonna be driving:eek: :D no seriously an air-bag warning light on doesn't mean you are gonna be going down the road and have it go off in your face:eek: it has most likely been triggered by a drop in current to its control box such as a battery change, probably almost half the cars i see have an air bag warning light on, as its not an mot failure point most people tend to ignore it. :D i'm sure its just a case of getting the control unit reset, not gonna be anything major(y) buy with confidence(y)

kev dedra said:
almost half the cars i see have an air bag warning light on

half? its more like 90% of the fiats i've seen

and there's nothing you can do to fix it for more than a few days, even if you pay fiat a thousand pounds. i've pulled the airbag LED out on the dash. it felt so good.

half? its more like 90% of the fiats i've seen
:D :D
was i being a bit too conservative for you jug? :p my point was more to do with it not really being anything to worry about with it being such a common fault:eek: my theory is that this is the first car iv'e had with airbags so i'm not really missing out on anything:rolleyes:

take off the inner cover off to gain access to the motor (3 screws and pull off the panel to release from the clips) ,
I was going to grease the tailgate opening mechanism inside the door today, but when I checked the archives it seems i have a different internal trim to this. There are no retaining screws visible on mine , and when you give it a hefty pull to see if it's clipped on it jut stays rock solid, to plastic breaking levels:mad: . It's not urgent just a preventive thing as it did jam a while ago when I fixed it with 3 in 1 spray and a juducious whack. I always hate starting a job by breaking the trim.

I was going to grease the tailgate opening mechanism inside the door today, but when I checked the archives it seems i have a different internal trim to this. There are no retaining screws visible on mine , and when you give it a hefty pull to see if it's clipped on it jut stays rock solid, to plastic breaking levels:mad: . It's not urgent just a preventive thing as it did jam a while ago when I fixed it with 3 in 1 spray and a juducious whack. I always hate starting a job by breaking the trim.

theres one where the handle bit is and 1 under each reflector :)

Thanks Bulldog, thats not very Fiat, one thing I like about them is they do not believe that customers will fall down in a faint if they see a screw head inside the car. This makes working on them a lot easier. I resurected an old thread after searching the archives, really to head off "have you searched the archives?" replies. I did look at the reflectors but did not fancy taking them off on spec, I imagine they are glued on. I also prodded around the iside handle, its got a bit of loose trim on the side where your hand grips it to slam the tailgate, is the screw under there, again this did not come off easily when i was exploring. I am now convinced it wall al fall aprt in there tomorrow if I do not now go in and check everything:D

The reflectors clip in.. Hope these photos help.

Image_235_.jpg

Image_236_.jpg

Image_237_.jpg

Wow, perfect! Thanks a lot. I have the Bravo.Brva Haynes but it does not cover this. Since the reason I run a Marea Weeken is because it has that bit and they dont I cant complain tho:)

All lubricated and back together, I dont fancy having to change those latches ever, the actuatar arm linkages are bit buried :). Looking at it I dont think the problem was in here, it seemed to be the hinge pins on the handle and everything inside the door was clean and free. I greased the 3 screws and the reflector spring clips so it should come apart easily if I ever need to do it again.

Back