General Marea Ad-ons. Steering Wheel and Fogs???

Currently reading:
General Marea Ad-ons. Steering Wheel and Fogs???

mjaz101

Hello guys,

I've got an early Marea Weekend 2.0 HLX which has been brilliant but am thinking of buying a newer 155 version. The only objections I have are that if I can't find an HLX i'll end up with an ELX model - no fogs, no sunroof and no leather on the steering wheel etc.

How easy is it to fit the foglights from an HLX into an ELX bumper? Is it just a case of cutting the right size holes and plugging in the connections ??(assuming they are there already?) I'd need to find the dash mounted buttons etc too of course.

Also, has anyone ever changed the steering wheel on a marea??? I'm wanting to fit a Coupe leather wheel but don't know if the airbag connections are compatible - can anyone confirm whether this is possible???? I'm not really bothered about the stereo controls as will change the headunit anyway.

I know I'm being picky but I am doing alot of miles at the mo so these things make a big difference to the comfort factor!

cheers! Mike

I think you would be better off waiting a bit till an HLX turns up.
ELX doesn't have blanked off holes for fogs does it?
Would maybe be easier sourcing HLX or Bravo HGT front bumper.
I take it you have already found the ELX, cos I have seen plenty with sunroofs.

How come the need for a change up if everythings still ok with the old one, asume its the 147. The coupe wheel isnt compatable as someone found out on buying it for there Bravo you could find an HGT wheel as its leather. But i suppose on the foglights etc it will depend on the colour of the car you end up going for. Plus some of the ELX's i've seen have nasty interiours! Colour wise anyhow.

My Marea is an early 97 on a P plate. It hasn't done too many miles (79k) but I only have 1 key (not the master) and the cam belt 'may' have been changed but cannot be confirmed. It has few little niggles with the front suspension that need to be resolved but otherwise drives ok. I'd just like to change to a more modern car and don't really fancy splashing out on a Stilo 2.4 when there values will fall in Sept when the Bravo comes out on the market. A newer marea seems like a good compromise at the moment.

I could, in theory just fit an HLX front bumper, but would prefer to just fit the Fogs so that i don't have to try to match the paint etc.

Thanks for the info about the wheel. I'll get looking for a Bravo HGT wheel. Its a shame as i think it would look really good. oh well!

Well suer you'll be able to get the HLX if you keep your eye out, are certainly alot more Marea 20v's than there are HGT's. I think the mk1 HGT wheel is grey leather but cant be 100% sure, the mk2 is black leather. Fitting your fogs to a new bumper wouldnt be that tricky you'd need to cut holes and make brackets, but still cheaper than a bumper respray.

I suppose depends on how quickly you want one, but keeping your eye out will pay off in the end and you'll get the one you want rather than making do.

I could, in theory just fit an HLX front bumper, but would prefer to just fit the Fogs so that i don't have to try to match the paint etc.

Don't forget the fog light surrounds are colour coded so even if you we're to cut a hole in the bumper to fit them you'd still need to do the paint work (unless you found the right colour car). Plus you'd need to take the switch out and if your interior colours are different your stuffed.

I'm interested to know why you'd go to so much trouble... there next to useless! Unless you like driving round with them perminently on just to show people you've got them, which is of couse illegal:eek: My Wife's Marea has them, when a lens got smashed last year I considered blanking them off:D

You could always wire them up as driving lights (on with main beam) and point them up a bit..... much more useful.

Having said that, cosmetically the car looks better with them.

Have to say have found them usefull on both my old punto, my HGT and the S40 as we get really thick fog on the roads i drive, and they are needed when you have to switch off dipped lights and just have sidelights and fogs to stop glare etc, also usefull in heavy snow too.

I can believe it where your located!

Down south most people just seem to turn them on to show other people they've got them :rolleyes:

Can you tell this is one of my pet hates?

Sorry to disappoint you guys but having lived on the South Coast for years we still get dense fog here too! and no, i don't drive with them on permanently! I also find that the fogs are especially useful when driving down country lanes at night so i'd rather like to keep them.

Yes I agree, it is prob worth hanging onto the marea I have now. My biggest concern was spending a heap of cash on a car that will have little or no resale value in 6 months time. There are so many Mareas for sale that i'd have to offer it for peanuts for someone to buy it without proof of the cambelt change and without the red key (ok, well i didn't pay a fortune for it as the price was adjusted to account for this, but that isn't the point .............)

Don't think about how much you can sell it on for.. Otherwise you wouldn't have bought a Marea in the first place!

If it's running fine get it changed. Then enjoy your marea for another 50/60k.. Getting a HLX bumper fitted won't be too expencive. Those fog lights are very useful - certainly where I live - and even Bunny's Bravo will be getting foglights (bumper in the shed awaiting fitting).

well if you want to check the classifieds tonight i was have a front bumber with fog lights and washers on there, i bought it of here for my brava but i got my marea before fitting and is no longer required

edit: Taking up space in MY SHED! But... it doesn't fit a Marea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup Bravo/a ones dont fit Mareas and vice versa, Although Marea one fit Bravo/a with a bit of work. Dunno how the HGT fits in with that line up as its got a wider front end than the rest of the Brava/o range, but dunno if a Marea bumper would be compatable, as in a straight swop and vica versa.

Also, has anyone ever changed the steering wheel on a marea??? I'm wanting to fit a Coupe leather wheel but don't know if the airbag connections are compatible - can anyone confirm whether this is possible????

i have a coupe turbo steering wheel in my garage which i bought just so i could do this, and it doesnt fit on the steering column shaft, and the indicator cancelling part is completely different. it wont fit. no way

Back