M5 crash

Currently reading:
M5 crash

Re: Horrible accident on M5 today

M5 in UK shut as ''several'' killed in 27-vehicle crash

news.in.msn.com/international/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5568988

"Several" people were killed and up to 35 injured in the 27-vehicle crash on the M5 near Taunton, Somerset, a police official was quoted as saying.

it was foggy so the the reduced speed limit signs should have been on anyway

People should know to drive to the conditions, shouldn't have to be told not to drive at 70mph if you can't see.

RIP to those who have lost their lives, and a speedy recovery to everyone else!

A good Case to say that the motorway speed should remain at 70mph!
and shouldnt go to 80mph

As people will do more speed as they think they've reduced it enough

Ziggy

Good case to show why lorries shouldn't be allowed on motorways.

Good case to show why cars shouldn't be allowed to drive through fog.

Good case to show why idiots shouldn't be allowed to pass comment on things they have no logical understanding of ;)

Good case to show why lorries shouldn't be allowed on motorways.

Good case to show why cars shouldn't be allowed to drive through fog.

Good case to show why idiots shouldn't be allowed to pass comment on things they have no logical understanding of ;)

If lorries weren't allowed on the motorway - it'd push prices of EVERYTHING up - Longer journies = More fuel = More wages, as they are what get this country moving - without lorries this country would collpase more then it already is doing

Driving through FOG is never a good idea

Good Case of Not stupid comments thank you, the point is still very true, its a good case to keep the motorway at 70, Stupid comments like yours don't help either

yes the reduced speed signs would have been on - but 95% of people dont give a crap and keep going

RIP those who aren't in this place
Get well soon to those injured

Ziggy

It'd seem the electronic signs in the immediate area are the old style ones in the central reservation that purely display a change in advised speed, FOG or lane closure. I can't speak for anyone else but i personally take less notice of those simple signs than i might of the newer style overhead ones that also tell you why they're advising a reduced limit etc. This is mostly because the Highways Agency does over-react in some situations & set the signs to 40 for several miles just because there's a couple of workmen on the hard shoulder in a 100 yard stretch. If it says 'Accident Slow Down - 40' or 'Obstruction Slow Down' then i'm much more likely to take notice as i have all the info.

Whilst it's doubtful this would've prevented the initial collision, better information further back such as signs immediately set to show 'Serious Accident - 20' might've slowed people enough not to just crash straight into the wreckage at 60-70mph, which is what some eyewitnesses have reported. It's probably the speed involved that caused the intence fireball, so i do believe this would've helped, along with better lighting, as i note that stretch doesn't appear to be lit.

I also agree, even as a very big driving & car fan, that we should not consider raising the speed limit. I'd rather it left at 70mph & for the Police to continue to (seemingly) turn a blind eye to anything upto 85mph if the conditions are suitable. If we raise it to 80 then people will just push the boundaries & whilst i'm quite happy going 80, i don't fancy navigating our often congested Motorways at near 90, just to keep up with the general flow of traffic, in conditions where i think i should be slower. If i don't like the idea, then i should imagine it'd be quite distressing for the older generation or people that don't use the Motorway on the regular basis that i do.

In this instance a raised speed limit combined with the reported poor visibility & standing water and poor signs would've only made this accident worse, as even more people may not have stopped in time if they're of the 'drive at the limit regardless' mentality.

I know we have alot of members from all over the UK on here so i sincerely hope knowone on here is affected. On the BBC footage a Fiat Qubo/Citroen Nemo/Peugeot Bipper MPV seemed visible amongst the burnt out wreckage (the distinctive rear quarter window makes it easier to identity than most vehicles) which did prompt me to think of those on here. That could've been any of us going away for the weekend so we must remember that when speaking to eachother & some of us should learn to bite our tongues sometimes, as life can be too short to make eachother miserable.

Liam

I can't speak for anyone else but i personally take less notice of those simple signs than i might of the newer style overhead ones that also tell you why they're advising a reduced limit etc. Liam

:bang:
And THIS is why accidents happen.
The HA invested loads of money on signs. They turn them on for a reason, just because they don't happen to give YOU chapter and verse, doesn't mean to say you should ignore them.

it was foggy so the the reduced speed limit signs should have been on anyway

I wholeheartedly agree.

The highways agency are entirely responsible for this terrible accident.

Not only did they fail in their duty of care by not setting a lower speed limit for the prevailing condtions but they were grossly negligent insofar as they also failed to set the matrix signals to advise drivers not to crash into the vehicle in front.

If this neglect is allowed to continue before we know it we'll be expected to think for ourselves

A good Case to say that the motorway speed should remain at 70mph!
and shouldnt go to 80mph

As people will do more speed as they think they've reduced it enough

Ziggy

Yeah that's clearly why it was so horrific, nothing to do with ignorent retards not driving to conditions? :rolleyes:

Bearing in mind the Germans never have such horrific accident's like that and a lot of their motorways are unrestricted. Then again their version of the MOT is far stricter than ours. I recon 80% of our cars over 4years old that are on the road would fail their test. They even test antifreeze concentration!

If I was transport minister I would:-

1.) Compulsory Motorway lessons & test (After normal driving test)
2.) Much more strict MOT (like the Germans)
3.) Proper maintenence on the main motorways such as the (M1, A1m, M6,M5 etc)
4.) Remove the speed limit alltogether on these roads.

The germans manage it with a much lower injury and fatality rate they must be doing something right!

Last edited:
. I recon 80% of our cars over 4years old that are on the road would fail their test. They even test antifreeze concentration!

!

Yes, weak antifreeze mixes cause countless road deaths in this country(y)

Funny :rolleyes:. The point I was making is they check their cars properly unlike our test.

Brake fluid is also checked for moisture content.

I agree that cars need to be properly maintained & checked but it is worth bearing in mind that a tiny proportion of RTCs are caused by vehicle defects and the vast majority by driver error

I wholeheartedly agree.

The highways agency are entirely responsible for this terrible accident.

Not only did they fail in their duty of care by not setting a lower speed limit for the prevailing condtions but they were grossly negligent insofar as they also failed to set the matrix signals to advise drivers not to crash into the vehicle in front.

If this neglect is allowed to continue before we know it we'll be expected to think for ourselves

As I said before, why should people have to be told its not safe to do 70mph in a load of fog? People should take responsibility for their own actions, not try and blame it on someone else.

Edit - Unless you were being sarcastic with your reply? I've only just woken up lol.

As I said before, why should people have to be told its not safe to do 70mph in a load of fog? People should take responsibility for their own actions, not try and blame it on someone else.

Edit - Unless you were being sarcastic with your reply? I've only just woken up lol.

Yes I was(y)

TBH I think blaming the HA for not putting FOG or a reduced limit is the most moronic thing I've ever seen.

If you can't figure out that you need to slow down in reduced visibilty frankly you shouldn't be driving & I know this sounds harsh but this accident may have been a bit of Darwin style natural selection at work. Not forgetting of course those poor drivers who were able to stop in time & were wiped out by the cretins behind who were waiting to be told to slow down by the matrix signals

Back