Technical Low Oil Pressure

Currently reading:
Technical Low Oil Pressure

alexman

Hi everyone,
for some time I had a nasty problem - on a display a sign "low oil pressure" appears. The result of this is that engine immediate stops :( It is quite dangerious while you are driving...

The problem usually appears when I am turning or braking. Yesterday I changed the oil, but this morning had the same problem:cry:

I wrote on the net few possible reasons, but if anyone have experience with such problem please share.

My car is 2001, petrol model

Any help is much appreciated!!!:worship:

With some cars if the engine is about to stall it will show the engine lights especially the batt light, could it be that its just stalling at low speeds and not as result of the oil light ?
If the idle is a bit low it would cust out easy when its warm whilst trying to do low speed manouvers i take it that its fine evry other time while driving?
I allways find a good can of carb cleaner and an hour spent cleaning the throttle out and poss the maf works wonders.

thank you for your reply!
my worry is that it not only lights the battery and oil lamp, but on the computer display a message appears - "low oil level" and then "stop the engine". this is together with a warning sound from the computer...

I will monitor the car a bit more - it was not driven some time before I bought it and maybe something got stucked or something in the sensors gone wrong. Hope to be something less serious.

I I understand anything I will share here:)

Im just wondering if your car has this new oil heating thing :confused: the engine is programmed to run lean to heat the oil to a high temp to remove any deposits or sumat but the ecu logs it and you can only do it 3 times before an oil change is required BUT if its that the it does not reset itself the dealer has to do it(n) i think its called DPC but unsure if the multi has this system:confused:.

I think JTDman could be onto something

Does the engine cut out because the oil pressure warning activates (unlikely due to the obvious safety implications-a TURN OFF ENGINE alarm is more likely under these circumstances), or is the alarm activated because the engine stalls? Ive just checked my manual and there are no alarms that stop the engine, they simply display actions required by the driver, stop engine, contact dealership etc.

When the engine cuts out, have you any throttle on at all?
If not, especially if you have just removed your foot from the accelerator, it could simply be the idle control valve, if the revs drop and the ICV is faulty then it could stall and upon stalling a low oil pressure warning is quite common. At the precise moment the engine stalls, oil pressure is lost due to the crank driven oil pump stopping. On cars without an audible alarm the oil light simply comes on but because of the alarm and the digital display the multipla will look a little more dramatic!

hmmmmm....
you give me new direction for thoughts.

I also checked in my book and such sign as "stop the engine immediate" is not written, but I saw it with my eyes :eek:

I am sure that 2 times it was the following sequence: "low oil pressure", warning sound together with "stop the engine" message and the engine cut off

I hope it was something caused by the low oil level (maybe the engine burns oil), so now with the changed oil and good level I am crossing fingers not to have this problem again.

Thanks once again to all who are trying to help!

Back