General Low Brake Fluid Warning Light On Dashboard

Currently reading:
General Low Brake Fluid Warning Light On Dashboard

Must be about a year ago when the Low Brake Fluid light stopped on.
Checked Manual and Goggled problem.
Seems it could be the Handbrake Switch faulty.
I messed about by unplugging wires and made sure they were tight fitting etc.
Then gave up and left till the Light stay on until the MOT came up.
Mechanic called me over to the car. He told me Warning Light was light staying on.
I told him I had tried to fix it.
Mechanic then unscrewed the Master Brake Cap. Put his finger inside. Pulled out the Filter, which I never knew about.
The Brake Fluid was definitely low. Topped it up. Cleaned Filter and put it back in place.
Since then the Warning Light only comes on when I apply the Handbrake.
So simple a fix that I never knew about.
Hope this is of use to others.

Mechanic called me over to the car. He told me Warning Light was light staying on.
Mechanic then unscrewed the Master Brake Cap. Put his finger inside. Pulled out the Filter, which I never knew about.
The Brake Fluid was definitely low. Topped it up. Cleaned Filter and put it back in place.
good it is sorted out.

As part of your weekly checks you should put a light alongside the reservoir and check the level.

good it is sorted out.

As part of your weekly checks you should put a light alongside the reservoir and check the level.
Thanks for reply. Strange, as every month I check all the levels. I just look inside Master Cylinder and the fluid level seemed right.
What I did not know of course is that I was looking at the Filter and that was stained Brake Fluid colour.
But lesson learned. Now I can just lift the Filter up with my finger and physically look how high the level really is.
You never stop learning in life do you.

Thanks for reply. Strange, as every month I check all the levels. I just look inside Master Cylinder and the fluid level seemed right.
What I did not know of course is that I was looking at the Filter and that was stained Brake Fluid colour.
But lesson learned. Now I can just lift the Filter up with my finger and physically look how high the level really is.
You never stop learning in life do you.
That reminds me. Before my car goes to the MOT I need to take the filter out to make sure the tester does not stick the fluid tester right through that hard to see filter! :)

Good idea. I see what mean about shining a light through the side.
Never thought of that. I will not get sticky fingers anymore.
Thanks.

The fluid should only drop very slowly as the brakes wear, but shouldn't ever get to the point of the light coming on.

If it was, and the fluid is low, then I'd be looking for leaks

The fluid should only drop very slowly as the brakes wear, but shouldn't ever get to the point of the light coming on.

If it was, and the fluid is low, then I'd be looking for leaks
Thanks for reply. The Brake Pads are due for renewal when the weather gets warmer. And the Brake Shoes will be replaced soon.
Just hoping that someone who knows about Punto's reads my post about the Brake Shoe Problem in General Posts.

So the simple fix was to actually check the brake fluid level?
Who would have thought that

Reactions: AED
So the simple fix was to actually check the brake fluid level?
Who would have thought that
Well... kind of, everybody. Or everybody should think of that.
Because that is what that light does. It lights up when you put on the handbrake and also, when the brake fuid is low.

Its primary function is for brake fluid level. As a handbrake warning, this uses the same lamp to test the lamp every time the handbrake is used, to ensure that if the fluid level drops, the lamp will be there to warn.
When the fluid level warning was first introduced, in the seventies, we had the lamp in a switch on the dash, and the driver was supposed to test it regularly using the switch. Unlikely to happen, except for curiosity value. Something to play with, press and it lights, release, it goes off. Most were never tested, and those that were, frequently brought about switch failure. So that idea didn't last long, and the test circuit was incorporated into the handbrake warning.

Well... kind of, everybody. Or everybody should think of that.
Because that is what that light does. It lights up when you put on the handbrake and also, when the brake fuid is low.
Not being technical I read manual and thought it could be the switch itself. Still, managed to fix it easily. When I check fluid levelnow , I take the filter out first to get a true level.

Not being technical I read manual and thought it could be the switch itself. Still, managed to fix it easily. When I check fluid levelnow , I take the filter out first to get a true level.

Its primary function is for brake fluid level. As a handbrake warning, this uses the same lamp to test the lamp every time the handbrake is used, to ensure that if the fluid level drops, the lamp will be there to warn.
When the fluid level warning was first introduced, in the seventies, we had the lamp in a switch on the dash, and the driver was supposed to test it regularly using the switch. Unlikely to happen, except for curiosity value. Something to play with, press and it lights, release, it goes off. Most were never tested, and those that were, frequently brought about switch failure. So that idea didn't last long, and the test circuit was incorporated into the handbrake warning.
Thanks for reply. Glad that idea did not last to long. It is easy enough the way it is now.

Back