Technical Loud fan noise from the front [not much coolant left?]

Currently reading:
Technical Loud fan noise from the front [not much coolant left?]

scubamandan

Hi

I've been getting a very loud noise that sounds like a fan coming from the front of the car. The sound continues for about 5 or seconds when the engine is stopped as well. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I'm wondering if it is related to my air conditioning, which is empty. When I tried to fill it up a while ago, nothing happened, as if the gas just leaked out straight away as the pressure was still at zero. :(

I have a Fiat Stilo dynamic 1.6. Any ideas?

sounds as tho the electric fan is running , mine does it all the time, it continues when switched off,for a short while,not a prob,as far as i know.:)

Really? It sounds like a Boeing 747. I've heard that a fan can be connected to a water pump, etc. I have also noticed that I continualy lose ratiator fluid and have to keep topping up every month or so. Probably just a hose though.

So is this noise normal behaviour then?

Well nothing is normal behavior if you know you've got a leak somewhere?! It could well be that due to insufficient coolant that the thermostat is doing its damndest to keep your car cool. I don't know about the Stilo, but most cars when you switch off the engine the water pump (being mechanical) stops too, even though the electric cooling fan can go on for several minutes trying to cool the radiator.

All you need is for one day you forget to top up your coolant, your car develops a bigger leak, your car overheats due to insufficient coolant and you blow the head gasket and warp the head.

boo hiss boo....but hes right, if you know you have a leak (the coolant is a SEALED system so you shouldnt loose any ever....) and it sounds like you do.....then find it and fix it!!! also if you have low level of water, then u may have air, which dont cool anywhere near aswell....therfore increasing temp, meaning fan stays on for longer....

another thing to worry about, if you are low on coolant, and you manage to get air in you water jacket round your engine instead of 100% coolant and turn off your car so the water/air mix stops flowing, bye bye head gasket...

FYI my fan will stay on for maybe 30 seconds after i turn off the car, this is NORMAL and is just cooling down the rad. but a conciderable time after that isnt normal....

Do a search. The 1.6 air con pipework included a piece of pipe that was too short and fractured, allowing all the refridgerant to escape. The part was redesigned with a longer run. You can buy the offending item and refit yourself DIY without too much difficulty. Then you can get your system re-charged with refridgerant.

Well... it looks like the fan going off so loudly was an indication of how empty the radiator fluid is. I hadn't realised it was that bad. It stopped doing it when i filled up. :D

I've been careful, especially since I found what the issue is and the car hasn't overheated. I have now bought a new radiator as I discovered the leak eminated from there, rather than a hose. Can't get the pesky hose clamps off the radiaor though. Giving me no end of grief.

I've been careful, especially since I found what the issue is and the car hasn't overheated. I have now bought a new radiator as I discovered the leak eminated from there, rather than a hose. Can't get the pesky hose clamps off the radiaor though. Giving me no end of grief.

Cut the old hose clips off and replace them with quality worm drive versions, and when you re-fill the coolant use 50% water & 50% Paraflu or it will freeze up this winter. Even if it doesnt freeze up the engine and cooling system will fur up and rust... Take cooling seriously I say.

Back