loss of water in radiator (non fiat problem).

Currently reading:
loss of water in radiator (non fiat problem).

Hi all. my mams Renault 19 has a problem with the water in the radiator. a couple of weeks ago my mam was picking my sister up from work when the temprature guage in the car went to the highest possible and minutes later all the water in the expansion tank (+ pipes and radiator) exploded across the engine bay. we refilled the radiator and they were NO leaks.

The car has ran fine until last week when the same problem happened again. a couple of days ago my mam saw that the temprature guage was going up again so she stopped the car, opened the bonnet and she could see that the water was bubbling inside of the expansion tank.

i dont know if this is anything to do with it, but the heater has never worked (had the car 3 years). it blows cold air, but wont blow hot air, and doesnt demist the screen.

Many thanks in advance

I had the same problem years ago with a Meastro it always ran cold so i got a mate to check the stat for me there wasnt 1 fitted since then i had the same problem as ur mum it turned out to be a ecu fault thank god they arnt as sifisticated as fiat solved prob (y)

Probably air.

As far as myth has it you are not meant to just fill teh radiator with water but are meant to bleed it.

FROM VERY COLD IE Have left the car for a few hours to cool down:

Turn the heater knob to Red and to the ON position
switch the car on
Open a Bleed valve on one of the water pipes
Fill the Radiator with water untill free flowing water comes from the bleed valve.
Close the bleed valve (you might get wet doing this)
continue topping up radiator until the marked position
Close radiator and off you go

If it happens again then you might have an air leak somewhere in the system.

Use Rad weld temporarily until you get the problem sorted.

problem is either faulty pressure cap[tell tale signs usually].
thermostat.
waterpump.
inop fan
collapsed radiator
i would take the stat out and do the boiling water test in a pan.
test the fan to see if its cutting in[run an earth to the switch]
and for the price of a cap, replace anyway.
look at the fins on the rad. if not all present, possible collapse.
when very hot, check bottom pipe. it should be hot all its length[after stat opens], if not, you have an airlock or faulty waterpump.:)

PNL said:
I had the same problem years ago with a Meastro it always ran cold so i got a mate to check the stat for me there wasnt 1 fitted since then i had the same problem as ur mum it turned out to be a ecu fault thank god they arnt as sifisticated as fiat solved prob (y)

cant be the ecu, as it hasnt got one :)

christopher watson said:
cant be the ecu, as it hasnt got one :)

Well if it aint got one obviously not the problem CW and the other members have covered the other probable causes so no need to post any thing (y) :p

a fiat used to be serviced by an 8mm/10mm, 13mm combination and a 17mm/19mm spanners. same size sockets, 2 flat blade and 2 cross head screwdrivers and a pair of pliers. that was just about it. basically as found in the tool kit provided. now you need umpteen different things as my extensive tool boxes show:(
and then there is the electronics:eek:

Back