General Loosing Power at 3000RPM

Currently reading:
General Loosing Power at 3000RPM

camwalsh2018

Just bought a 06 Grande Punto for my first car, when revs hit anything around 3000 RPM the car seems to briefly loose power and the Battery Light flashes on and then off again, drives perfectly fine at anything less than 3000 just don't even know where to start.

Hi there, the car has done about 60k miles and since I've bought it it's had this fault. I don't really know where to start with it. It's the red battery light that flashes intermittently when you get to 3000 rpm

Would that only affect it at 3000rpm+ as the car drives perfectly fine below that

You have such an unusual fault with very little info to go on.
If battery light flashes at moment of power loss it could be an alternator fault. Or battery leads or a number of other things.
Have you tried a code reader to check for stored fault codes?
Have you been to a mechanic ?

Hi there, I've checked all codes and it's showing none and no I've not been a mechanic yet, I just thought I would hold off incase it was something easy that could be done by myself

Im guessing its a 1.2/1.4 petrol

Alternator is a strong possibility..
( charge light : battery light..) ;)

But I am struggling to see how performance is effected..

Gps have a reputation for odd issues after alternator replacements though..

I would check the cables on battery terminals as a 1st step ;)

I'm thinking maybe disconnect all alternator wires and test drive but only if able to safely insulate disconnected alternator wires and not injure yourself.

Ground(S), battery, alternator ...

Only once those are proven OK we can proceed with further investigation, otherwise it's totally useless !

BRs, Bernie.

Ground(S), battery, alternator ...

Only once those are proven OK we can proceed with further investigation, otherwise it's totally useless !

BRs, Bernie.
With the oft reported earthing problems I'd be running a jump lead from the neg terminal on the battery to the engine block and trying the "old girl" up the road. However I'm finding it difficult to understand why the effect is only evident at 3,000 (approx) revs?

I'm intrigued, please do let us all know what it turns out to be won't you.

PS "I've checked for codes" great, a good first step, but what did you use to check with? There are multiple reports on here as to how results with "generic" testers/scan tools are variable in outcome. I strongly recommend doing it with Multiecuscan or a Fiat dealer tool if you haven't already done so. Roughly where do you live? maybe a forum member with MES could do a scan for you.

Last edited:
When were the spark plugs and air filter last replaced?
What engine size?
Description of briefly losing power at 3000 rpm does it run at all over 3000rpm or does it feel like it "switches off"

The peak power and torque is roughly at 3000 rpm in the GP. Could it be running out of air? Wouldn't explain the light though.

But it's a quick and cheap thing to check whether your air filter looks clean and no leaves/small animals are stuck in the air intake :)

And it seems a fuel filter on the way out could also cause performance issues and a check engine light, but swapping that is a bit more involved at least in some non-diesel GPs, where it is inside the fuel pump assembly under the seat.

Last edited:
Hi air filter and spark plugs were both replaced within the last month or so and it's a 1.2l petrol. When you get to around 3000rpm it looses all acceleration and the rev needle drops to zero and then comes back on the charge light comes on and then back off again. This same symptom occurs both when stationary or while driving

When were the spark plugs and air filter last replaced?
What engine size?
Description of briefly losing power at 3000 rpm does it run at all over 3000rpm or does it feel like it "switches off"

Hi I replaced air filter recently and do you think that a fuel filter could be something one could replace themselves
The peak power and torque is roughly at 3000 rpm in the GP. Could it be running out of air? Wouldn't explain the light though.

But it's a quick and cheap thing to check whether your air filter looks clean and no leaves/small animals are stuck in the air intake :)

And it seems a fuel filter on the way out could also cause performance issues and a check engine light, but swapping that is a bit more involved at least in some non-diesel GPs, where it is inside the fuel pump assembly under the seat.

Does the heater/cabin ventilation fan cut out and come back on like the rev counter

Last edited:
Back