Looks like a car change

Currently reading:
Looks like a car change

Looks like I may have to purchase a Diesel as when I move (Probs mid March) I'd be driving 100 miles a day to get to work and back!

So I've just been drafting up what sort of things I'll be looking at. The Grande Punto is a possibility, should I be able to get it off my company! :D

Realistically though, been looking at the Stilo JTD, Punto 1.8 Multijet HGT or even the Bravo/a JTDs. Others include Seat Leon & Ibiza, Smart Forfour, VW Golf & Polo and even the Citroen C4 (Which will only be considered in the event of a company car).

Just wondered if anyone on here could let me know what their experiences have been in any of the cars listed, especially the HGT MJ as alot of people don't know that exists!

The Fabia which I have is basically the same as the Polo and Ibiza and shares the same engine as the Leon and Golf. The engine (1.9TDI PD130) is the best bit of the car without a doubt. 2k-4k rpm is where all the torque is at, it shoves you to the back of the seat and leaves the (normal) car behind you standing. Its great! Especially when they reaslise im driving a......Skoda :D Surprised the vRS isnt on your list actually.

The interior and switchgear is the same as the Ibiza's, Polo's and some parts of the Leon and Golf, not to mention Audis ;) - probably a bit bland and simple, which I like. Everything is where it should be and its not going to break anytime soon.

(so not a very Fiat related post :p)

Lol knew I was forgetting someone when writing up that list!

Cheers Wolfrace, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for!

Just had a bit of a shock, went on confused.com and got a quote less than £3k on the Stilo! Was quite impressed because haven't seen one that low in a while, still can't afford it though...

It's going to depend on your journey type, and how you like to drive as well as up front finances and likes. If it's mainly motorway pounding I'd chose a larger car like the Stilo or C4 for comfort. More cross country, and a smaller agile car will be more fun without breaking the bank. Depends on what kind of power you think is OK, and what you want to do mpg wise. The 1.4 HDi Citroen C3 supposedly can get into 70mpg teritory, as I suspect a Panda MJTD can. A new Grand Punto 13 MJTD can't be far behind, where as Mk2b Punto HGT MJTD (100bhp 1.9, must be tune-able) would only be around 50mpg (still very good though!)

I have a Bravo 1.9JTD. I bought the car as I'll be doing 60 - 70 miles a day once i get back to work. The car is very quick of the mark and always wants to go faster. Its like a go-kart at times. I would highly recommend one :D

Poor david that b****y Skoda [oops sorry ppl swear word s---a :yuck: ]he really needs to see his GP :p theres only one sensible choise her TBO stilo jtd good on fuel brilliant remap possibilities sorry ppl just no contest (y)

Oh yeah forgot about that!

All motorway miles, so 70 constantly (lol seriously!)

The Panda was on my list as possibilities, but I hear they don't have a very big fuel tank? Then again I wouldn't say no should I find one for a decent price.

Here are the figures I found:

Stilo & MJ HGT- 53, Bravo - 52, Grande Punto - 48 (?), Smart Forfour - 61, Fabia vRS, Ibiza TDi FR & Leon TDi SE - 55, Citroen C4 - 60, Polo - 62,

As the Citroen is a bit expensive at the mo, the two that stand out are the Smart and the Polo. They're probably be the cheapest to buy and insure. The HGT, Ibiza and Fabia are (probs) the most in that list to insure too. Also, they're all 1.9s minus the C4 (1.6) Smart (1.5) & Polo (1.4)

Very tempted with another Bravo as I really enjoy mine as it is, have so many plans for it too. Can't stand the C3, ugly car.

Still, I'm a bit unsure if the figures are a bit misleading. They are average combined but bit unclear of the relevance

PNL said:
Poor david that b****y Skoda [oops sorry ppl swear word s---a :yuck: ]he really needs to see his GP :p theres only one sensible choise her TBO stilo jtd good on fuel brilliant remap possibilities sorry ppl just no contest (y)

That is true...But all the others bar the smart also have the opportunity to have remaps.

Maybe not by Angel Tuning but there are other remap compnaies.

The stilo out of that list is not the best on fuel economy either.

I love the stilo, put phill i think you should take off your stilo tinted spectacles off :)

Wouldn't say the Stilo is that bad on fuel economy, but granted it's not amazing

I'd love a Marea Weekend, for some reason they've grown on me so much...but insurance is a bit of a killer, and it's a bit big considering the biggest car I've owned is a Bravo or Mk1 Punto!

AppleSei said:
That is true...But all the others bar the smart also have the opportunity to have remaps.

Maybe not by Angel Tuning but there are other remap compnaies.

The stilo out of that list is not the best on fuel economy either.

I love the stilo, put phill i think you should take off your stilo tinted spectacles off :)

Na apple me old mate[well maybe not that old]if i took my specks of i couldnt see anything :rolleyes: and their not stilo tinted their reactolight thats why i use the ltl smiley with the dark glasses cos when its sunny i become a cool dude in a STILO :slayer: PS hope your feeling Ok mate (y)

AppleSei said:
YEAH..................:p

But the Stilo JTD is impressive. A potential of 170bhp in an ins group 5 car :bang: Too good to be true...But then all the bits start falling off and reality hits again:p

wolfracepunto said:
YEAH..................:p

But the Stilo JTD is impressive. A potential of 170bhp in an ins group 5 car :bang: Too good to be true...But then all the bits start falling off and reality hits again:p
:yeahthat: young skunto the whole car is a gift from god :worship: taxi :p :D for style and driveability it cant be beaten with in the current fiat range.

Last edited:
The Panda has a 35 litre tank, which isn't massive, but gives about 350-400 miles per tank for me at the moment. Search my previous threads (or just look in the New Panda section) for my impressions so far. It's quite satisfying when it costs under £30 to fill up!
The Smart can be remapped.
I'd be surprised if the Skoda and the Polo were that cheap to buy - they're not like they used to be...
H

Polo's are not cheap, and neither are Smarts. If you like the Smart then look at the Mitsubishi Colt which is the same underneath. Strong residuals on Colts, but Mitsubishi UK buy a load then sell those before ordering more from the factory in Holland, so you may not be able to get your first colour/spec choice.

The Polo I drove for a week (basic 1.2 petrol model) was appalingly unrefined compared to my Punto, but perhaps the even more expensive ones have more soundproofing, better plastics and an extra cylinder on the engine!

Panda's 400 mile range isn't so good, as most B segment diesels can get 500 to 600, and That's less than a Stilo 1.9 JTD which should get 650 miles from the best part of 60 litres. If you pass by a diesel station frequently it might not make so much difference as you can fill up every 3-4 days...

Yeah thats one of the concerns I had with the Panda. However, Fiat are offering a very good finance package on the Sporting which is quite tempting, but still early days in my search.

The Smart can be picked up second hand for around £6-9k. Skoda starts at around £9-10k, which is a bit pricey. When I say Polo, I mean the 2000 models, not the ones with the round lights. Again, they start at about £5k-6k upwards.

The Stilo is winning by miles at the moment, simply because it's a great looking car. But they're not exactly the cheapest! I'd say they start round the £7-8k mark? Think same goes for the HGT Multijet

Back