Technical looking to upgrade my m2 mk2 puntos speackers

Currently reading:
Technical looking to upgrade my m2 mk2 puntos speackers

puntocon

hey guys, this would be my first post and only having my punto for 2 months or so do excuse any mistakes or stupidity butt...

im looking to upgrade the stock speakers on my punto, id like to achieve a better quality sound and less crackling and fuzzing when i turn it up, but im more after a higher level of clarity form the car.

i haven't got loads of money to spend, maybe £150 tops and id prefer to not have to put an amp in or do too much wiring.

overall im wondering if its possible to change the speakers themselves and what you guys would suggest

cheers (y)

First of all - do you have rear speakers at all?

If you dont - determine if you have rear speaker wiring

Again if it all else fails, dont forget to include 2 sets of wiring for the rear speakers

If you wish to keep the wiring all original - consider some adaptors instead of cutting and shutting the cables

Also you after to change the HU?
What features you after?
Bluetooth? SD reader? USB? Aux in? DAB?

Ziggy

The backs are really easy (if you have backs)

Simply unscrew the existing units and put in new ones, only problem I found was they are very small, 4'' if memory serves, upgrading them is worth it, my Alpines (about 30 quid) are much clearer but dont expect full sound from the backs alone, they are too small to handle low end.

I also put in a set of 6x9's with an amp (although you could just have 6x9 running if you disconnect the rears and have an adequate power output from your headunit) They give much more bass and a in fact my Alpine 6x9's and 4'' backs (running from the head and a 50W amp) sound great.

The fronts are more of a pain, the boxes are shallow so you either need to build out from the box to fit regular speakers (there are kits to do this but some are pretty rough) or you buy shallows which tend to be a bit more pricey.

Last edited:
I think you can now get adaptors for the front to allow for deeper speakers - however you can get decent ones without needing to spend loads of wonga

Try taking a look in your local scrap yards for example - like me i found some Alpine S type speakers - got them for £3 and they work fine :)

Ziggy

Thank God someone makes adaptors, when I got my Punto new there was no such thing, some great home made bodge jobs though!

Might swap out my fronts soon then...

ziggy: ive got speakers in the two front doors and then rear speakers behind the back seats but in-front of the parcel shelf, ive already changed the HU to a sony xpold with all the features i need, just wondering what i need to do and what speakers would fit and some suggestions. the scraap yard idea is a great shout though, cheers :worship:

The front speakers are 6.5" or 16.5cm 17cm will fit as well. The rear speakers are 10cm or 4". A good speaker make to run off the headunit is the Hertz energy range as they have good clarity, do a search in the ICE section and it will come up with the exact names of the speakers...

For the front speakers you want to have component speakers not coaxial as components come with a mid bass woofer and a seperate tweeter which provides a better sound stage :)

The front speakers are 6.5" or 16.5cm 17cm will fit as well. The rear speakers are 10cm or 4". A good speaker make to run off the headunit is the Hertz energy range as they have good clarity, do a search in the ICE section and it will come up with the exact names of the speakers...

For the front speakers you want to have component speakers not coaxial as components come with a mid bass woofer and a seperate tweeter which provides a better sound stage :)

theres tweeters in the mirror covers though so why would you want a dual cone speaker for bass and hf?
i wouldnt, i would rather it did bass and mid range:)

Cheers guys! This is all really helpful! Has anyone done the change? If so what speackers do you guys suggest I invest in?
Thanks again

theres tweeters in the mirror covers though so why would you want a dual cone speaker for bass and hf?
i wouldnt, i would rather it did bass and mid range:)

Yeah those tweeters are terrible, the cone and tweeter unit are removed when you connect up the new component speakers and the fronts should not be used to produce the main bass frequencies that is the job for the sub, the front cone is there to produce frequencies of around 60hertz and above whereas if you have a coaxial speaker with the tweeter unit built onto the cone itself the sound stage is reduced as all the frequencies come from one place

Cheers guys! This is all really helpful! Has anyone done the change? If so what speackers do you guys suggest I invest in?
Thanks again

These speakers are nearer the top end of your budget but are a very good speaker Hertz ESK165.4 energy, these will provide you with clarity even up to very high volumes where other speaks become distorted.
Hope this helps

These speakers are nearer the top end of your budget but are a very good speaker Hertz ESK165.4 energy, these will provide you with clarity even up to very high volumes where other speaks become distorted.
Hope this helps

Hi,
anybody got pics of removing the FRONT ( door card) grilles..??,
my FIAT speakers are terribly damaged,:slayer:
but I don't want to trash the grilles changing them,
thanks,
Charlie

Hi,
anybody got pics of removing the FRONT ( door card) grilles..??,
my FIAT speakers are terribly damaged,:slayer:
but I don't want to trash the grilles changing them,
thanks,
Charlie

To remove the front speakers you don't need to take off the door card, the grille has literally a few plastic clips around the edge, just get a small flat head screwdriver and prise the grille off, if its too hard to get off heat it up slightly with a hairdryer and that will loosen it up

To remove the front speakers you don't need to take off the door card, the grille has literally a few plastic clips around the edge, just get a small flat head screwdriver and prise the grille off, if its too hard to get off heat it up slightly with a hairdryer and that will loosen it up

Thank you,
that's what I needed to Know, (y)
I've got my nephew's old speakers( STD + fine) but don't want to smash the grille mounts like he has done..!!,
Charlie

Back