Looking for advice

Currently reading:
Looking for advice

To all the people who answered here - thank you very much for the comprehensive answers and for the time you took to explain to me. I learned a lot about my car and I'm even sorry I didn't get involved earlier. The most important lesson, in my opinion, is that from now on I should not do service together with MOT. And the only things that NEED to be fixed are the ones that fail my MOT. As for the MOT, each garage judges according to its views whether the car is fit for driving, or there is a standard that everyone follows and there is no way for one car to have two different opinions, from two different garages?

"The only things that need to be fixed are the ones that fail MOT" No Victor, I wouldn't agree with that. The MOT is an examination of the car for, mostly, safety and pollution purposes. There's a lot of other stuff which will not be picked up by it - for instance - a small water weep from a coolant hose/pipe or maybe a brake caliper which is "dry" and gummed up with brake dust, I could go on. Then also it's a good idea to always have new oil in the engine. Why? Well, old oil will have lost some of it's viscosity through degradation so it will be more likely for a little to be getting past piston rings etc. This might affect emissions.

I service all 5 of our "family fleet" (the Kia is still under it's 7 year warranty so goes to the dealer to maintain warranty) in the month before their MOTs are due - this is a bit of a nuisance as 3 of them fall due in the new year, just when the weather is coldest!

As to your last question about opinions. Technically the garage is acting for the department of transport when carrying out an MOT so the standards should be identical from one test station to another. My perception is that things have improved a lot in recent years but there's no doubt that a garage that does MOTs generates work which others miss out on. When I first was promoted to workshop foreman/manager we had a very keen apprentice who was very keen to learn. I let him work alongside one of my MOT testers who would get him to examine the vehicles and tell him what he thought was failable. Of course the qualified man was actually doing the test and signing the certificate - all above board. Unfortunately one of the DOT's anonymous engineers booked a test with us and got the wrong end of the stick, thinking it was the apprentice who was doing the actual test. He immediately stopped us testing and we had to jump through a whole load of hoops before we got our authorization back. Our workshop revenue fell measurably during that period of time (and head office were very unhappy with me, but they didn't sack me and all came good later) The Irish have government centres where your car gets tested. In theory I think this is a good idea as there is no vested interest but I know it's not problem free - you have to book well in advance and if you fail I believe it can take some time before a retest? One of the small garages I worked in (it was the DAF agent) didn't do it's own MOTs and we used to take our MOT vehicles down to the CO-OP in Musselburgh who mostly did MOT's on their own vehicles - including the hearses, very interesting coachwork to look at on them. Any member of the public could take their car there but the workshop only repaired their own fleet so if you failed you had to remove and repair, or arrange for repair of, the vehicle yourself. This was a good thing as they had no vested interest in failing you. Their MOT's were strict but very fair and I continued to take my own cars there for many years after I moved on from the DAF garage until I went there one day to find them all closed up and gone.

If you're not talking about MOTs then every mechanic is free to make up his own mind about what really needs to be done on the vehicle. The way I worked it was that the mechanic would collect the worksheet and his parts from the storeman - I only ever worked in one really big garage where there were "receptionists" (another layer of personnel which add to costs and confusion between the customer and the man doing the job in my view). If the mechanic spotted something needing done which was not on the worksheet he would call my attention to it, Unless it was something very simple - which often we wouldn't charge for but make sure the customer knew they'd got something for free, good PR! - I would double check what he was recommending and ring the customer to get permission. Because I had actually seen what the mechanic was recommending it gave me the chance to differ with his recommendation - which seldom happened - and let me describe accurately to the customer what the problem was and why it needed attention. I think this approach worked very well and we had lots of returning customers.

So Victor, I think it's actually a good idea to have the car serviced just before it's MOT test. Your problem is that you need to find a nice small independent garage who you can trust not to rip you off. That's the difficult part of course. Where do you live? Maybe someone on the forum lives near you and could recommend a reliable garage for you to try. If you don't know much about the guts of your car it can be difficult to look for a suitable garage yourself because you don't know if the guy you're talking to is talking sense or not. If you can get a look in the workshop doors if what you see looks neat and tidy and the lighting is good that's probably a good starting point. I'd be a bit suspicious if all the mechanics looked spotlessly clean though!

Ps. Of course doing the service and MOT at the same time, if you're not doing your own service work, can also be very convenient as you're only without the car for the one day. It also, perhaps, removes the temptation to just "forget" that the car could be doing with a service?

Last edited:
Im living in Liverpool and i was chosing garages based on Google maps reviews. Now i found whocanfixmycar website and i like the option where every garage is giving you a quote and they have reviews as well. But that doesn't mean all of these reviews are real, is it?

This RAC guide makes very interesting reading and might be useful to you: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/car-maintenance/visit-mechanic-guide/

If you're looking at websites like "Who can fix my car" then I notice quite a number of the smaller garages up here are members of the "Good Garage Scheme" https://www.goodgaragescheme.com/
I'm sure some will be better than others but looking at ones that are local to me I see a number of ones I know to be "good garages" Might be worth a look?

Another one you see up here quite often is the Bosch approved workshop scheme: https://www.boschcarservice.com/gb/en

This Wikipedia entry mentions both the good garage scheme and the Bosch scheme if you can be bothered to read it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Garage_Scheme

At the end of the day I think personal recommendation is the surest way to go.

Oh, and by the way, avoid like the plague, establishments that do discounted MOTs. (unless they are known to be unimpeachable) The standard charge is a reasonable one for an MOT properly and diligently done. A heavily discounted MOT is going to loose the garage money so guess how they are going to make the loss up?

I would say also to not hope for a "lenient" attitude on the part of the tester. I do all my own servicing and most of the repairs on our "family fleet" and I rely on a strict but fair test being carried out as a check for things I might have missed.

Oh, and by the way, avoid like the plague, establishments that do discounted MOTs. (unless they are known to be unimpeachable) The standard charge is a reasonable one for an MOT properly and diligently done. A heavily discounted MOT is going to loose the garage money so guess how they are going to make the loss up?

I would say also to not hope for a "lenient" attitude on the part of the tester. I do all my own servicing and most of the repairs on our "family fleet" and I rely on a strict but fair test being carried out as a check for things I might have missed.

The MOT test fee has always been no higher than a normal hourly rate for the job, and usually less. Discounting this potentially brings in much less revenue, unless repairs are generated. Many will rely on cars needing work, and will do an honest test, but there are some that will 'create' work.

My local garage does a strict test, at full price - works for me.

When I worked at a large dealer in Dorset, we had one guy who did most of the MOTs. He was very strict, but did not create work. All the staff requested another tester did thiers. I always wanted Ray to do mine, knowing that he would spot anything I missed. Always nice to have him issue a pass.

One year, failed on play in the steering rack. Morris Marina had little springs in the end of the rack, to keep the track rod ball tight, prone to breaking. Never listed separately, but identical to the Mini front balljoint springs. It was fortnight later I got it back in for the retest, and found meanwhile both rear wheel cylinders had seized. Highlighted that an MOT is valid only at that moment. Third time, a pass. Amazing how much better a car stops when the rears are helping.

I agree wholeheartedly. For various reasons my Panda's just had a new MOT at a different tester to my usual.

£30 cash upfront, it failed on front right suspension arm ball joint, by coincidence the same failure as my parents' car a month before by the same tester...

£130 quoted to replace one suspension arm (which is fair enough). I took it away, ordered both arms from Shop4Parts with new pinch bolts for £80 delivered next day, replaced both sides myself and took it back for a new ticket.

There's no doubt they lost money on me. I don't take any satisfaction from that - I prefer to support small independent businesses, and I have no real reason to suspect it wasn't a genuine failure.

I do suspect it would have passed with my usual tester though. Or at least to show up as an advisory before failing. These things usually develop a bit of wear before becoming excessive. Especially as I'd only covered 4,000 miles since the last MOT.

The only other MOT I didn't entirely trust was the one my car came with - from KwikFit. It had work done by KwikFit to pass, and still had a list of advisories, none of which have ever shown up on subsequent MOTs.

I'd rather pay full price for my MOT (around £55 in the UK now?) and feel confident that they're not going to be actively looking to find faults to make up the shortfall.

Last edited:
The only other MOT I didn't entirely trust was the one my car came with - from KwikFit. It had work done by KwikFit to pass, and still had a list of advisories, none of which have ever shown up on subsequent MOTs.

A smallish independent workshop quite near me who, as well as his mechanical workshop, is well known locally for doing tyres at very reasonable prices was, a few years ago, engaged in a bit of a "war" with our local "fast fitters" (I'm a feartie so won't actually put the name down here!) He explained to me that customers would come to him for a second opinion after being shocked at the size of estimate they had been given. He had a wall in his reception area with their - the Fast Fitters - MOT failure lists pinned up on it together with their - the garage's - repair invoice to make the relevant vehicle roadworthy. The savings for some customers were absolutely astonishing. Whilst not being "bosem buddys" I know this garage quite well and I'm sure they would not cut corners by doing cheap shoddy work. In fact a number of my neighbours use them and, if anything, they are not particularly known for being "super cheap". I used to pop in from time to time just to read the wall and have a bit of a laugh!

Back