General Look who's come home...

Currently reading:
General Look who's come home...

Well recently I opened the bonnet and was confronted with this...

2014-06-27_13_48_35.jpg

2014-06-27_13_48_45.jpg

Lucky the engine stopped with it pointing where I could see it really. As such not really driven her since spotting it - Them photo's were taken the day before Stanford and in end i decided to take the risk of driving it there and back (so naughty i know but its not that bad and i didn't want to miss Stanford), she has not been driven since I got back just incase. Have since spent much time deliberating and looking and have come to the conclusion that it must have been some foreign body getting in there - there is nothing in the bay that could have done it.

But today the nice UPS man has brought me a load of service items including a new belt so this will be changed soon (not this weekend though as its my birthday on Saturday and I'm not doing it feeling hanging on Sunday).

precisely why i'm considering altering the timing belt guard to be able to fit the cento bay. Obviously if they go it's a lot worse than the 8v, but already had an 8v belt snap due to a foreign body get in so not really wanting to take that risk on the interference 16v!

they fit with the covers anyway, I have stuck one in before with its belt covers still on - it was tight but it went in. This engine didn't have them when i got it - and to be honest i have done so so many miles without belt covers on and never had an issue that it still doesn't concern me, these things happen, its just a mild annoyance is all. Even if it had of snapped it wouldn't have been the end of the world - its not like a head rebuild is that money, or a complete replacement engine for that matter. These are the up sides of driving a cento and not say a nissan skyline or something that engines, heads and parts in general are expensive.

Last edited:
When my engine went, the pistons were hammered severely. Even though they could be re-used, all the valves needed replacing as well as the valve stems. The cracked stems alone cost near 300 euro, just for the parts. The full head rebuild was near 700 euro in parts, less the handiwork.

The top cover doesn't fit without a small modification, at least the one i have that came with the engine doesn't. I've trial fitted it and the top one needs a bit taken out of it for clearance around the corner of the slam panel and inner arch. Would only take 5 minutes tops to sort. I'd covered about 10k without a cover no bother before i lost the 8v belt, it's pretty rare but safer with, given the 16v isn't a "safe" engine, just seems better to give it a bit more protection IMO.

When my engine went, the pistons were hammered severely. Even though they could be re-used, all the valves needed replacing as well as the valve stems. The cracked stems alone cost near 300 euro, just for the parts. The full head rebuild was near 700 euro in parts, less the handiwork.

Yes but you can buy a whole mk1 punto 16v here for about £200-300

Sorry no pictures this time but little update.

New cambelt fitted, miles less hassle than i was expecting changing a valver cambelt. Whatever did the damage to the belt made it jump a tooth too so had a lucky escape but she is purring like a kitten again (y)

Also swapped the broken seatbelt buckles for ones that aren't smashed to bits courtesy of Cento Painter, thanking you good sir.

Also diagnosed my window issues to faulty window switches, replacement switches on way from The Black Box, thanking you also sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Whilst routing out my timing tool i also found a carbon airbox and suitable elbow to use as an induction kit, so thats been cleaned and is now drying ready for re-oiling 2moro.

Oh and i might have arranged for some new wheels for her.

no, they are from a GT3.. GT1 and GT2 just had silver like a sporting but GT3's came like this. Just like my old GT infact.
DSC08990.JPG

I actually bought these wheels originally for my seiT which i was going to badge up as a SeicentoGT, then i was going to put them on my GT as they are in better condition, then i bought Betty back on a whim and stuck them on her instead lol.

As the new owner of his GT, I'm not that glad ;)
lol, well molly has 2 really good wheels and 2 curbed wheels, someone who owned it clearly was rubbish at parking. They might be up for grabs soon if you want them though fella ;)

I bet right now you're glad you did :p
I knew they look good on cinqs from years ago, my old turbo cinq had a set before i owned it and i thought they looked ace, i am always amazed how uncommon they are on cento's

In other news, that CDA i mentioned last night, its now clean and re-oiled and.....
2014-08-04_11_07_31.jpg

Last edited:
Back