General Look who's come home...

Currently reading:
General Look who's come home...

engine wiring is ready to test prior to tidying and soldering etc. Just couldn't get the fuel pump ring bolted back down and spat my dummy out and left it, its too dark inside betty with the limo tints to see anything after dark even inside under lights. Alfa is broken again, made it about 7 miles and fault came back - can hardly even move under its own steam.

so no she aint running yet, today has just been a disaster - just feel like having a little cry tbh and can't be arsed to think about betty right now. Everything that could possibly go wrong has gone wrong bar the punto started and ran fine - but now its gone to its new home so i don't have a car that works at all.

I can relate to how you're feeling mate.

Sometimes I feel like there's far much to do, and that it won't get finished. But remember that there isn't a time limit! Just walk away from it for a bit, have a good think, then go back and do it in bits.

And just think about what it'll be like when it's finished, that's what always motivates me, even when I'm really down in the dumps about my car.

Keep it up pal (y)

Right i'm totally bemused now, i swear i have checked and double checked everything and when i turn the ignition on code light comes on and then goes out as it should but the twin relay just clicks repeatedly.
Now the eml dimly flashes with the relay - so no got constant flow to pump so it doesn't prime. Anyone think of any reason it would do that?

edit: scratch that - think i have missed an earth, will go down and look shortly ;)

Last edited:
progress! :D

turned out i had missed an earth - thanks must go to @whitz for firing ideas at me until something I had forgotten was mentioned.

Wires are now tidied up, soldered, heat-shrinked and taped up, water pipes all properly plumbed in. Few little bits to finish up tomorrow but she should be out the workshop and back here on the drive by tomorrow night; assuming i can find some nuts the right size to bolt the inlet to the head - right random uncommon sized nuts!!

So today i had a ordeal trying to find somewhere that sold M7 nuts for the inlet manifold but eventually i found some.

Went and stuck inlet on properly, blocked off the now unused charcoal cannister pipe, sorted the throttle cable, adjusted clutch, made sure no wires or pipes are in bad places (made hay with the cable ties), bodged up an induction setup & probably some other stuff i just can't think of at this time of night/morning.

I seem to have lost an exhaust clamp and a bottle of coolant somewhere along the way so need to find somewhere in morning to get them and go stick them on/in car. But she lives, fires straight up, no EML, idles fine and revs up real nice - sounds pretty epic i must say.

So really just these 2 little things and then I have to try get her out and across the field.... which will be interesting to say the least - its much much more water logged than when i got stuck getting her in. And she caught the floor going in (you know when she was on higher suspension lol)

Sorry no pics or vid's today - i was in too much of a hurry to get it done and frankly just to knackered to have been bothered. I'll try get something up tomorrow.

Good night cento fans

Last edited:
so.....

sorry quality is a bit rubbish.

It lives! :D All seems good apart from the temp gauge is wired wrong, an indicator and the rear fog light aren't working. Hopefully just bulbs required but i will have to look into that in the morning. Got a 200mile drive to do 2moro so that will be a good shakedown test.

Well i made it to my new house near Gloucester, stopping at Donnington Services for food and Kidderminster to meet a FF member en route.

Everything went well, no warning lights still - it didn't overheat or anything. (y) I did struggle to make the exhaust clear the ARB when i fit it, i did manage to make it clear but now having driven 200+ miles it is rattling against it again. Grrrr.

And i didn't manage to fix the screen washers, i am getting 12v to the pump so the pump must have just died. No biggy though.

You have any idea what the EML you had on the first video was due to?

i think it was just because the inlet was held on with 4 bolts that were finger tight only - now i'm at new house i have all my diagnostic stuff but the battery has been off overnight since the light and no light since. But i presume map sensor was giving a erratic signal due to leakage and the ecu didn't like it.

so nothing much to update really. Car is still working fine, annoying the locals with the silly loud exhaust (and the other half lol).

I left my car cleaning stuff up north :doh: coupled with living on an actual farm means Betty is extremely dirty - yet to find a local jetwash to go use.

Only update i have really is i just got off the phone from insurance company to tell them about the conversion and that i have moved house, and my insurance has actually gone down as I no loner live in a crime ridden ghetto :woot:

Anyhow, there is not many pics but i know how much you all love them so here is what i got ;)

Back on the drive in York having just managed to get her out the field
2014-02-16_13_33_56.jpg

En route to the new house, this was about half way (at Donnington Services)
2014-02-16_15_36_36.jpg

This is a totally rubbish pic but it was dark and its pretty bumpy in the car at speed - but that is 66,666 miles and 666 miles on the trip counter, bit gutted this didn't happen in the dday whilst going slowly
2014-02-16_18_47_18.jpg

And this is where she now lives
2014-02-17_14_40_39.jpg

Oh and the other thing i noticed since last posting is that my speedo is now very wrong. It says i'm doing about 85mph when i'm doing 70mph which it never did before. Same clocks, same cable, same gearbox :confused: Any idea how that could have happened??? Bearing in mind i didn't even remove the clocks or anything during conversion.

So there was a meet local to me today so i went to meet a few local fiat nutters (y)

I even managed to find a jetwash en route so Betty got cleaned finally (which lasted all of about 5 mins lol)
DSC09275.JPG

DSC09276.JPG

DSC09277.JPG

It also dawned on me there is no completed engine bay pics in the thread so took a few pics with bonnet up too. Unfortunately i got a wire wrong (temp gauge) so i've had to unwrap my neat and tidy D4 wiring to fix and haven't rewrapped it yet, i will do this soon i promise.
DSC09279.JPG

DSC092781.JPG

I have always loved the sedici sticker on the back of Fifi and Paul had a spare he said i could have, so now Betty has a twin sister valver lol
DSC09283.JPG

DSC09282.JPG

DSC09292.JPG

DSC09311.JPG

DSC09352.JPG

DSC09325.JPG

Love this pic in particular..
DSC09328.JPG

And a couple of wide shots of the whole group of cars that came today
DSC09317.JPG

DSC09320.JPG

Back