Below the Fold Limitations for new members

Currently reading:
Below the Fold Limitations for new members

To combat the behavior of spammers, I've added some new restrictions for new members (defined as someone with less than 5 posts)

• Can only reply to private messages (i.e. can't start new conversations)
  • Read only access to the gallery
  • Read only access to the guides section
This will stop someone signing up just to spam message everyone, as well as stop newbies from posting questions as guides instead of threads!

As soon as the 5 post count has been reached, then the member is automatically upgraded and gets full access to the site.

The only issue I foresee with this is with the classifieds system (someone new can't message the seller), but for now I'll see how it goes.

Would it be worth considering upping the post count to 10, its still not an unreasonable number. but a post count of 5 can be hit in a couple of minutes, at least at 10 the extra work involve in spamming might put some off?

This might at least stop or limit those people who appear and start posting links all over the place.

Would it be worth considering upping the post count to 10, its still not an unreasonable number. but a post count of 5 can be hit in a couple of minutes, at least at 10 the extra work involve in spamming might put some off?

This might at least stop or limit those people who appear and start posting links all over the place.
Ah links in posts automatically send that post to the moderation queue and don't count towards the 5 until approved 😎

I don't know man. Then idea is good, but it could have undesired consequences.
For example, I'm quite new member and I wrote a guide. I know, it is a really simple fix, but still...

I don't know man. Then idea is good, but it could have undesired consequences.
For example, I'm quite new member and I wrote a guide. I know, it is a really simple fix, but still...
In think you're in quite the minority, but thank you, it's much appreciated.

In reality, all someone needs to do is post a few welcome messages in the Newbie Lounge and they will hit their 5 posts - but in the meantime, will have had enough time to look around for the forum to realise where the correct sections are :)

In think you're in quite the minority, but thank you, it's much appreciated.

In reality, all someone needs to do is post a few welcome messages in the Newbie Lounge and they will hit their 5 posts - but in the meantime, will have had enough time to look around for the forum to realise where the correct sections are :)
Another ‘minority’ here 😂….I have just joined having bought a Panda Climbing; first job was to install a CarPlay headunit and USB ports; which I thought might be interesting to post up some pics of how I placed ports etc. Yes, I can reach 5 posts by doing the Newbie Lounge thing; but that’s kind of spamming that area in order to hit the goal 😀😂😂. My sympathies though; having run a forum many years ago; it’s always a rock & a hard place scenario!

Yes, I can reach 5 posts by doing the Newbie Lounge thing; but that’s kind of spamming that area in order to hit the goal
The newbies do appreciate it though ;)

But yes, the guides lock isn't so much to do with spamming, it's more because a lot of people would sign up then think that was the place to post - or they would send me a dm asking for help with their car (which I would need to reply and tell them just to post to the forum!)

By locking a few things off, they hopefully check the tutorials area and see the right way to do things :)

Threads can be easily converted into guides though by the mod team, so you can still just post it up in the normal section and a member will usually report it to be switched :)

Back