Technical Light issues

Currently reading:
Technical Light issues

Lorna87

Hi all, have noticed following issues on my ‘61 MyLife Panda:

Having to take car to garage re bad Earth as getting the following issues:

• When front wipers are on and I brake or indicate left, the rear wiper comes on.
• WhenI indicate left and them brake the indicate seems to speed up.
• When input car into reverse and I brake the reverse light dims.
• Sometimes when I brake then the left side light/indicator light dimly lights.

How much should I expect to pay to get this out right?

Hi all, have noticed following issues on my ‘61 MyLife Panda:

Having to take car to garage re bad Earth as getting the following issues:

• When front wipers are on and I brake or indicate left, the rear wiper comes on.
• WhenI indicate left and them brake the indicate seems to speed up.
• When input car into reverse and I brake the reverse light dims.
• Sometimes when I brake then the left side light/indicator light dimly lights.

How much should I expect to pay to get this out right?
people seem to charge whatever they like
an auto electrician shouldn't take more than 10 minutes
if your near Cheshire I will fix free of charge
I doubt anyone charges less the £50 plus vat. Which in my opinion is fair "if" you are putting a warranty on it

here's what's involved

if its your job, its even easier, you would just cut the old burnt one off and crimp a new contact on

I don't do enough to buy a hundred terminals even though I already have the crimp tool

Last edited:
I am noticing that the whole rear right left cluster is either dim or not working. So what is the cost of replacing this?

It's a power issue. Bad connection at the earth or in the supply line is dropping the current reaching the bulbs. As they are all going dim the earth is the first place to look. An auto electrician would want about £50. It's not a big job but s/he has to get out to your car and clear up afterwards.

The rear wiper is a feature on many cars, where if the front are on then it will operate the rear wiper if you brake or put it into reverse. The assumption being you want to check what's behind you at the time.

The rear wiper is a feature on many cars, where if the front are on then it will operate the rear wiper if you brake or put it into reverse. The assumption being you want to check what's behind you at the time.
know issue with the middle earth wire in the rear light cluster and very common

there is no feature where when you indicate or brake and the rear wipers come on. Its trying to find a different earth path

if the front wipers are on and you select reverse the rear wipers come on this is as intended

So worse case scenario, how much could this cost?
if you drive it to a garage / auto electrician around £50
If you want someone to do it on the drive you will have to add a call out charge

someone around here got charged £150 for an electrician to come to their house and flick a fuse on their consumer unit

if you are near Cheshire I will do it free of charge. Both side of the 4x fiats I have owned have had to be repaired at sometime

Have you checked the gray connector to your inside fusebox?
Look for burned plastic on the two middle connectors?
It can only be seen if you pull the connector out.

The burned connectors are a common occurance of Fiats cars og this era.
On friend of mine was told it would require a change of the Engine computer and a cost of 1000 pounds.
Most generic mechanics dont have the experiance and knowlede of faults for specefic cars.
Even some of the Fiat shops dont even have this knowledge.

A burned connector will result in the following problems:
* One or both headlights not working
* Whipers not working
* Whiper pump not working

and maybe some other stuff.

A new connector will set you back 12 pounds on Ebay.
The job requires a bit of soldering and you will need two small connector tools. job which can take between
An auto electrician should be able to do the job in 30 minutes.

Back