Technical Lifting Idea rear? Jack point?

Currently reading:
Technical Lifting Idea rear? Jack point?

wedders

Hi all,

Besides my other thread with the air bag issues, I also need to replace rear springs for upcoming MOT.

Have some jack stands, and intending to pick up a trolley jack to make this less painful in general (and because I think I'll be lifting again to replace shocks once I've had a good look at them!)

Never needed to lift more than one corner of a car so uncharted territory for me.

I've made up some slotted wood blocks so I can hopefully get the stands on the sill jack points, allowing the wheels to drop and release the springs.

But where is a safe spot for the trolley jack initially?

Saw in a Punto thread "anywhere the subframe mounts to the body" which doesn't mean a huge amount to me. I found an image of the Idea lifted and it looks like they're just on the sills... can I lift from any point on the sill (with a slotted block), lift each side of the car and shove a stand in?

Advice for a newbie please 😅

Attachments

• Fiat-Idea-46.jpg
    Fiat-Idea-46.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Thanks all, lifted it today and got springs out.

Unfortunately one of the rubber buffers crumbled so needs replaced too :(

Having trouble finding some in stock though! I can get some from Latvia but would prefer if they're in the UK!

Fiat part numbers are 51796607 / 50701606

Is it possible to just replace the rubber part as the plastic housing seems ok - if so how would I find such a thing?

EDIT - for avoidance of doubt, image attached.

EDIT 2 - Oh dear, found a 2019 thread on here with someone asking about these and not having much luck 😬

Attachments

• IMG20231105154429.jpg
    IMG20231105154429.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks all, lifted it today and got springs out.

Unfortunately one of the rubber buffers crumbled so needs replaced too :(

Having trouble finding some in stock though! I can get some from Latvia but would prefer if they're in the UK!

Fiat part numbers are 51796607 / 50701606

Is it possible to just replace the rubber part as the plastic housing seems ok - if so how would I find such a thing?

EDIT - for avoidance of doubt, image attached.

EDIT 2 - Oh dear, found a 2019 thread on here with someone asking about these and not having much luck 😬

I bonded my one back in place 5 years ago..
Lasted for the next 3 years I kept it 🙂

I bonded my one back in place 5 years ago..
Lasted for the next 3 years I kept it 🙂
Oh god that will get through an MOT? It looks so bad 😂 I have some epoxy somewhere...

Don't mind ordering them from wherever but MOT expires in just over a week and I'd like to be able to drive it - if I can bodge it for now that would be great.

Got the new springs in today and driven for a few miles, all seems good.

Hardest part was getting the stops off the rusty old springs - fighting with them for a while! Bent a cheap pair of plumbers grips well out of whack!

With the stops it does look like the rubber part is designed to seperate from the plastic base, so I reckon you could get just some rubber stops and mate the two. If they give me any trouble I might give that a go.

Anyway sorted for now, thanks all (especially varesecrazy!)

Back