Technical LHD Panda clutch cable

Currently reading:
Technical LHD Panda clutch cable

Just started having problems with clutch cable on LHD Panda.
Boss went out in it this morning and pedal went to the floor and wouldn't return. As soon as I got in it the car behaved itself (although I only drove it about 500 metres home!). As soon as she went to go out in it again - same problem.
Seems to me as if the cable might be sticking due to breaking up inside.
Are they simple enough to change or does it involve a lot of dismantling - engine end looks easy enough.

Thanks for that Koalar - very informative.
Looks straightforward enough - I had a quick look earlier, its certainly got a very strong return spring!!!

Is the cable really sticking as you said the return spring is strong. Isn't the pedal not getting stuck underneath the flootmat?

Disconnect the clutch cable at gearbox end. If the cable moves freely the issue could be the clutch is worn and going beyond its normal travel. A new cable should be cheap. If the trouble persists, you will need a new clutch.

New clutch cable arrived today, so had a good look at it.
Easy enough to get the top and bottom ends off, cable appeared to be moving smoothly in the casing. Adjustment was miles out though.
In the absence of a mechanically trained double jointed ferret to unbolt the cable from the bulkhead I decided to put the adjustment right and try it at that for the time being. Its possible to see one of the bolts that connects the cable to the bulkhead, and just touch it with the end of my finger, but the other is completely hidden behind the brake servo.
It looks as though Fiat started with the clutch cable and worked their way out when they built it.....

New clutch cable arrived today, so had a good look at it.
Easy enough to get the top and bottom ends off, cable appeared to be moving smoothly in the casing. Adjustment was miles out though.
In the absence of a mechanically trained double jointed ferret to unbolt the cable from the bulkhead I decided to put the adjustment right and try it at that for the time being. Its possible to see one of the bolts that connects the cable to the bulkhead, and just touch it with the end of my finger, but the other is completely hidden behind the brake servo.
It looks as though Fiat started with the clutch cable and worked their way out when they built it.....
Do you reach it by taking the Wheel, and plastic liner off ? I don't have a LHD to check

I was really surprised that the panda uses a cable for the clutch as the punto has a master slave setup. I looked at it because I suspected a bad bearing in the gearbox and to me it looked fairly easy to get to even from the top.

Do you reach it by taking the Wheel, and plastic liner off ? I don't have a LHD to check
You don't actually need to take the wheel off, or the plastic liner, even with it on a ramp its impossible to see one of the bolts holding the cable in place on the bulkhead.

Back