Styling Let the mods begin

Currently reading:
Styling Let the mods begin

Dino500

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know the mods that I have planned/done for the 500. It is the same type of mods that I have done on all of my cars over the years. The cars have ranged from hot hatches to small engined city cars. I like to put 'my own touch' on my car and that way it feels very custom and yours.

1.2 Lounge BNW

- Remap - Not a performance car I know but the modest gains and throttle sharpness as well as an increase of a few mpg are why I have had it done.
- Panel air filter to compliment the remap
- Dipped bulb upgrade to xenon effect (crisp white/blue)
- DRL upgrade to LED DRL bulbs.
- Sound proofing - bonnet, car mats, rear bench, boot lining, wheel arches
- A500 '595' alu gear knob and car mats
- Alu pedal set
- White leather with Italian strip gear stick gaiter
- Custom harness pads
- Nexus Tablet 2 7" as car SatNav on mount
- Front strut brace

Many more small items to come.

D

That sharp legal brain of yours, Robin.......

Hope you never cross examine me!

I'm still working on my soundproofing project... it turned into a speaker upgrade project, though in hindsight I might suggest not bothering to upgrade the speakers (I didn't see that on your list, so you've chosen well... :eek:)

Anyway I will have final notes/results of soundproofing very soon (next couple of days).

One thing on your list - I think you can cross off (if you haven't done it already!) - front strut brace - I don't think this is applicable to the design of the 500... I know it has front struts, but take a look at the structure around them, and I think you'll see what I mean! How will it get past the wiper linkage...? :)

-Alex

Last edited:
Strut brace a waste of time, space and money on the 500 - rest a matter of taste.

Thanks for your honest opinion and as you say each to their own.
I like strut braves even on a non-performance car as it helps to add some structural rigidity. It is only a good thing as long as your car isnt 'too stiff'.

D

I like strut braves even on a non-performance car as it helps to add some structural rigidity. It is only a good thing as long as your car isnt 'too stiff'.

D

You don't need to add a strut brace to the 500 though. The strut tops are mounted so close to the firewall that there will be very little flex anyway.

It is only a good thing as long as your car isnt 'too stiff'.

Until that minor prang with a kurb in the snow writes the car off as a result of the chasis twisting ;)

And what LED DRL's you going for? Not sure there are many (if any) which will do as good a job in those until as the filament bulbs.

Last edited:
Until that minor prang with a kurb in the snow writes the car off as a result of the chasis twisting ;)

And what LED DRL's you going for? Not sure there are many (if any) which will do as good a job in those until as the filament bulbs.

Lol i have seen a LR Defender do that.

Regarding the DRLs, like most modders on here who have changed the bulbs i have gone for the PIAA led drls. Much better visibility when looking at them and A much cooler and crisper white light. They match my Osrams too.

D

Lol i have seen a LR Defender do that.

Regarding the DRLs, like most modders on here who have changed the bulbs i have gone for the PIAA led drls. Much better visibility when looking at them and A much cooler and crisper white light. They match my Osrams too.

D
Without wanting to be negative, changing bulbs is hardly "modding"

Without wanting to be negative, changing bulbs is hardly "modding"

Wow you guys are a hard crowd on this forum!

If you want to get technical its a modification because you are changing, modifying, the original manufacturers setup. However 306 you are right it is hardly a mod. Its a simple practice to do.

D

D

A few pictures of ones fitted across the pond. Looks like the air box had to go.
On the list of mods I might be tempted to fitted a CAI in preference to a re-map to squeeze a claimed 7bhp (according to Nuova) and maybe a set of denso iridium plugs.
If and when you need new tyres or brake pads a decent replacement set would be an 'upgrade'.;)

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=736

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_79&products_id=1244

EDIT: I've done the pedal thing using Sparco pedals. Did a posting on the FF. Got the pedals cheap. Great mod and easily reversible. Don't bother with the rest pedal because it doesn't work on the RHD 500.

Last edited:
Sorry forgot to mention re brake pads, I have fitted them as well. EBC pads. These are the ones we use on our rally cars. There are versions for lighter 'normal' cars whose brakes don't need as much heat through them to stop.

Re the led bulbs I have never come across them under volting or not drawing enough power. In fact the ones I always used are slightly higher wattage than the standard. 27/8w in fact.

D

A very well engineered strut brace, mounted correctly - which often means moving components on a road car - will have an absolutely minute effect that will only be relevant in extreme situations - like rallying off-road. I'd guess that the majority of strut braces do not fulfil those criteria and the benefit on a small modern design must be negligible. (But one might give under-bonnet cred.)

Back