General Leaking Petrol Tank - 2002 2Tone

Currently reading:
General Leaking Petrol Tank - 2002 2Tone

Good to know. The OP should try FIAT first, though.............
The receptiveness of fiat (I dont care) dealers varies.
My local one wanted to charge £80 just to look at it. Refundable on acceptance of claim, So not worth the risk. :confused:
I think it's about getting past the person at the unhelpfull desk.?:bang:

The receptiveness of fiat (I dont care) dealers varies.
My local one wanted to charge £80 just to look at it. Refundable on acceptance of claim, So not worth the risk. :confused:
I think it's about getting past the person at the unhelpfull desk.?:bang:

Tis true. The approach that seems to work best is to 'phone FIAT HQ first, unless you've a good relationship with your local dealer.

OMG, just rang local fiats part place and its coming up at £330+vat! What a joke, does anyone have fiat hq's number? I emailed about 5 days ago but have received no reply. :(.

Nevermind, just ordered a £50 one from ebay and hopefully everything will be ok, cba waiting around for fiat although it would maybe be cheaper. :). Just gotta figure out how to get it out now!

It's primarly held on by 4 bolts on the underneath. These will be very rusty, hence the plus gas.

After that, empty the tank as much as you can, remove the diamond shaped plate under the rear seat which gives you access to the pump. remove pump, disconnecting hoses, connections where necessary, remove the filler connection from the tank. Wearing goggles and with a full bucket of lukearm water nearby (to stick your head in, should you get a faceful of petrol) undo the bolts and it should drop and woggle out. You may -- I can't remember -- need to drop the exhaust off the hangers.

Ok excellent, when you say under the rear seat you mean from inside the car? lol.

I'm a little confused on ePer, I have some kind of recognition... but its saying I have an 899cc engine? :S. I was just looking as I need a cambelt kit but was wondering which I would need.

I'm also sure that I have a 1.1 engine? lol.

Ok excellent, when you say under the rear seat you mean from inside the car? lol.

Yup, lift the rear seat. I tend to undo the connections* through that and remove the pump once I've got the tank on the ground.

*Connections= fuel pump, tank sender and pipes.

There is a beather on the front of the tank face that needs to be undone when the tank is half out.

Exhaust needs to be dropped from its mounts, the flexi allows enough movement to get it out the way of the tank.

Cheers

SPD

Well... after my tank arrived this morning, Fiat rang me in the evening and said I could take it to my nearest dealer to get photos taken and most likely get the repairs done for nothing. Great!

Have to say i'm very impressed that Fiat contacted me today and the representative was very helpful!

That saves a day of my life eh, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

I have just had my petrol tank done on my Seicento for free so FIAT are still doing them. Here is the proccess I went through;

1) I took photos of the seam.
2) Speak to FIAT CUSTOMER RELATONS
3) Send pics through to CUSTOMER RELATIONS and recieve call ref;
4) Wait to hear from them (about 4 working days). They contact FIAT in italy and come back to you saying YES or NO. Iy yes they ask you to book it in at your local dealer with another new 4 digit call ref. (I have a 2000 SPI Sporting)
5) Get the tank fitted at a local dealer FOC.

Matt

So its finally been done today by Fiat and seems all good. They did however bring me bad news in the form of:

Oil Leak from Rocker Cover Gasket (I hope this is it and not the head itself :(),
Oil Leak from Gear Box - Said they would have to take the gearbox out to find the problem.
And apparently my N/S rear tyre is illegal but looks plenty of tread left to me lol.

Any common problems regarding the gearbox that could be causing this leak?

Back