Technical £1000 to spend on performance mods

Currently reading:
Technical £1000 to spend on performance mods

cm246 said:
Hello there
I am thinking to change the engine on my car and i was wondering where you can get an engine from? I am thinking to go for the 1224cc one, how mutch it will cost me
£100 + vat for engine (non london price) kelvedon autos 01376583592 essex, £250-£300 for fitting (non london price) where i do not know

will the 1224 engine gonna be a straight swap? It might sound stupid but is the 1224 originaly for cinq or is it for a punto? 100 pounds is not bad i ask for fitting and they told me 140 (and thats london price !!!)

GhostWKD said:
Gaz, get your self down to MK tomorrow and i'll take you out in the tub, or i'll take you out when next nearish :p

im insuring a high boost at 19 for £850 fully comp :slayer:

as i just got in from work, wont be at mk :( , i got to fix cinq today :rolleyes: :p

will take you up on your offer when im somewhere down near you....road trip :D

If you want to do it properly you never get a turbo conversion working for £1000.

Obviously you can get out of a turbo always more torque and more power than normally aspirated. Unfortunately this comes at a price.

For the sum of the smallest 4-figure I would go for a Punto 75 engine, which is fitted with everything you need not more than £700. As it is rather easy to fit you might be able to do it yourself. Electric work can be done by some one else afterwards if you are not confident.

The 75 engine comes with a nice cam, bigger valves, MPI and some respectable power. Porting and flowing the head would be my first tuning choice. If finances do not permit you can leave the cam for later. Induction revision, intake manifold adaption, exhaust revision and re-map (chip in your case) together with the other modifications get you beyond the 100bhp.

If you want serious power then take the same engine rework it completely to be able to cope with the power and treat it with forced induction. I think I am noe entering territory of wishful thinking...

gaz_wrexham said:
so do i, i would spend more then :p - when i grow up i wont be able to do stuff like this anymore :(

This is where your attitude is wrong!

I decided to stop growing up well over thirty years ago and stuck to it. It works a treat.

arc said:
if you're gonne be that picky, an UT engine even fits into a cinq too. :p

And if you are even pickier, there's plenty more engines that will 'fit' in a cinq :)

plenty of bike engines for a start, but that is a hell of a lot more work than a 1242. in fact I don't think you really achieve any other engine swap bar the UT lump for under a grand. In fact I doubt you could do that either could you, as you'd have to do the brakes front and rear as well.

Jon+Em

project-cinqy said:
plenty of bike engines for a start, but that is a hell of a lot more work than a 1242. in fact I don't think you really achieve any other engine swap bar the UT lump for under a grand. In fact I doubt you could do that either could you, as you'd have to do the brakes front and rear as well.

Jon+Em

Before you put a bike engine in a Cinquecento you might as well turn the 1108 into a bike like engine. The group N 1108 was running 11000rpm and had a power output of 120bhp. With the right induction set-up you can get some torque out of it too although not cheap.

Realistically you can't do an Uno turbo swap for under £1000 unless you do everything yourself and this is what Gaz wouldn't want to do. And how much more will you have to spend to get it running reliably?

beastyjay said:
how would you go about doing this??

This is at the moment still secret. I am working on a solution, which will be available later on this year. At the moment I am fighting with the cost factor. If you want to have it done properly it will cost obviously much more money. I am currently looking for a manufacturing solution to make the purchase less painful (but even then you guys will whinge about the money aspect:rolleyes: ).

Oldschool said:
This is at the moment still secret. I am working on a solution, which will be available later on this year. At the moment I am fighting with the cost factor. If you want to have it done properly it will cost obviously much more money. I am currently looking for a manufacturing solution to make the purchase less painful (but even then you guys will whinge about the money aspect:rolleyes: ).

depends what the results are and if its worth the money really.

beastyjay said:
depends what the results are and if its worth the money really.

Whether it is worth the money depends on many factors. Bhp figures are not everything. Torque is very important. Getting a good balance of both is what is desirable.
From the technical point it is worth the effort, because you will get the torque and still can go to much higher revs without loosing power.
Principally it is worth the money too.
A very different question is whether it is for yourself worth the money. This is the question only you can answer for yourself. I can't. All I can provide is the choice.

Back