Technical £1000 to spend on performance mods

Currently reading:
Technical £1000 to spend on performance mods

Duncan said:
How much of a weight loss would you get from changing some of the glass to perspex and is it road legal??

Having the wind screen replaced by acrylic glass of any kind is not legal and I would for safety reason not advise to do so. BTW the MSA regulations do not permit it either.

Changing all other windows is possible, but realistically you need to have the same strength as glass because you will run into a number of problems unless you are not bothered about looks.

Also to consider is the fact that you need to from the windows and the ones that wind up and down need a special treatment to be fairly scratch proof. This is quite costly.

It should not be underestimated how mauch the windows add to the structural stiffnes of the chassis, which has to be catered for.

My advise is to look for other areas to loose weight (if not for racing) especially considering that although acrylic glass is considerably lighter it is not enough glass to be replaced to qualify as a major saving.

arc said:
i've always stayed away from removing the spare wheel, as it i thought it was quite a good idea to have there in case someone hit the back of me!

Theres sense in that, and theres sense in keeping alot of things as the factory intended, such as windows etc that provide structure and stability as well as impact resistance in a crash, its easy to wonder what consequences are left when removing something, and with whatever you remove, weather it be a spare wheel or the rear seats, its always gona compromise something else

I'll buck the trend in this thread and advise on better brakes and suspension so even before you touch the engine you can put the existing perfromance to better use by being able to corner faster and brake later.

Liam

bloomfieldliam said:
I'll buck the trend in this thread and advise on better brakes and suspension so even before you touch the engine you can put the existing perfromance to better use by being able to corner faster and brake later.

Liam

It just became fun and now you are getting serious.:rolleyes:

If you loose all this weight you don't need to upgrade the brakes as nothing is there to brake in the first place.:cool:

Oldschool said:
It just became fun and now you are getting serious.:rolleyes:

If you loose all this weight you don't need to upgrade the brakes as nothing is there to brake in the first place.:cool:

i like that way of thinking :D

Oldschool said:
I f you loose loads of weight and have standard suspension the handling would be quite....interesting :eek: imagine flicking around a corner at 60-65 with standard kit and no weight holding you down :eek:

Gaz what happened with getting a project car? get bored of keeping the punto standard?

wayne

bloomfieldliam said:

Liam

suspension is sorted - spax adj -60mm, brakes need sorting - any recomendations??, other than gt coversion cause i need to keep my 13's :D

The younger modder said:
Gaz what happened with getting a project car? get bored of keeping the punto standard?

wayne

as this thread is in cinq/sei section, it could possibly mean i got a cento, details can be found in my sig :D

gaz_wrexham said:
suspension is sorted - spax adj -60mm, brakes need sorting - any recomendations??, other than gt coversion cause i need to keep my 13's :D

as this thread is in cinq/sei section, it could possibly mean i got a cento, details can be found in my sig :D

What about Red Dot delivered for £115 = discs with six curved slots and uyprated pads.

the back becomes very skittish when you remove everything, last mot my car weighed in at 715kg including spare wheel amps (2) and sub and 6x9s. sparco fixed buckets were much lighter.

if i was you gaz, i'd loose the interior bar the dash and carpet (for comfort) and spend money on light seats (carbon? (y) ) harnesses, 1242 n/a with your tb and a chip and the rest on suspension, as this will change the car,

car weighing 650kg or less + 70 ish bhp = 108bhp/tonne

vw golf gti mk1 1.8 = 130 ish bhp/tonne

thanks peter (y)

GhostWKD said:
UT Turbo kit gaz :cool: vented discs but will still fit under 13's :) is what im planning on my car and also what rallycinq is running :)

is that an expensive job??, tbh aslong as i know the limits of the car and my driving skills i wont need to hammer the brakes :p

i always wanted one of them parachutes like the drag cars use though :cool: :eek:

tango said:
the back becomes very skittish when you remove everything, last mot my car weighed in at 715kg including spare wheel amps (2) and sub and 6x9s. sparco fixed buckets were much lighter.

if i was you gaz, i'd loose the interior bar the dash and carpet (for comfort) and spend money on light seats (carbon? ) harnesses, 1242 n/a with your tb and a chip and the rest on suspension, as this will change the car,

i read that the back becomes a little unpredictable when there is nothing in it, so would have to give it a go first and if it is dodgy then do something about it

the seats are gonna be fixed back, but not carbon (cheapskate :eek:), but im hoping they will be lighter than the standard seats , the dash and carpet are staying unless i find a reason to take them out or find a jigsaw to remove half the dash

i will have to fit all the things that i have got already and see what power i am producing, it will give me a good idea as to what i can expect :)

tango said:

if i was you gaz, i'd loose the interior bar the dash and carpet (for comfort) and spend money on light seats (carbon? (y) ) harnesses, 1242 n/a with your tb and a chip and the rest on suspension, as this will change the car,

You forgot that you have also some weight.

If the rear becomes to light then balance the weight out. Since the seats go the battery can go in the back. The 063 weighs about 13kg plus box. This is 13kg from the fron and about 14kg in the back and at the same time in a much better position lowering the cetre of gravity. Other ite can get moved as well and then the suspension setup has to be adapted accordingly.

The weight of a golf driver is lower in proportion to the Cinquecento driver.

Last edited:
Back