Latest ever?

Currently reading:
Latest ever?

Alex said:
You can claim any tax back that has been taken of earnings under the £4615 personal threshold, and you are allowed to not pay national insurance for 3 (or maybe 5) years of working before you're 25. I've never had a hastle getting my tax refunded, I'm due nearly a grand this year :D

I know you can claim it back, i was just pointing out that the student tax coding is so that its not paid in the first place because 99.9% of the time it'd be refunded anyway. Saves farting around.

Edit: any info on not paying NI? I've paid plenty into that pot and if im allowed to not pay it, i'd rather not

You are only getting a refund coz the employer deducted it?!

Any student getting a part-time job should sign a P38(S) straight away - otherwise, an emergency tax code is used, and tax deducted if earnings high enough. It is this tax that is being refunded.

arc said:
Edit: any info on not paying NI? I've paid plenty into that pot and if im allowed to not pay it, i'd rather not
You only pay if your earnings are over a certain limit per week - current £91 per week. I will check to see if there is a simple way to get this back, once annual earnings taken into account.

No everyone pays NI. Unless you get paid less than the minim wage anyway. And you're right of course Arc there's no tax dodging involved. Students pay tax to the same rules as everyone else. I've never paid it - because I've never worked more than 1/3 of the year, so I've never earned enough money to pay it (what is the limit 6 grand or something?).

If you don't want to pay tax, simply earn less than the limit - it's nothing to do with being a student. If you can live on that then good on you!

Limit is £4745 for current year - there will be a slight increase come 6th April onwards.

Can't see a way to claim back NI - must be thinking about people who have two jobs.

Lower than I thought that is... If it were in any 52 week period I would have been caught out by that, over two summers.

Mrski I just wanted to add to the point that not all students are lazy. If you went into an Asda near you a couple of years ago you probably got served by me, I worked in 3 out of the 4 of them and paid both my tax and NI. I earned over the limit though so no claiming it back for me :(.

Studets aint lazy tax dodgers. I am certainly not. The average full-time employee works 38-43 hours a week. Combining my work (24hrs) and university (18hrs), I am occupied by studies and work for 40hrs a week and then some with work out of lectures and assignments. I am either at work or uni 7 days a week. And my annual income? £5013.22 with TAX deducted. Then there is around £2k a year in rent to pay, the car will also cost me a little more than this to run a year including finance and fuel, then I have food, tution fees at £1k and general household to pay for too.
Now who has the hard life? Don't hear the majority of us groaning though. I certainly don't normally. Now with this being a common situation with the majority of students, I belive we can be excused to have a lie-in every so often.

Rant over. lol

Oh btw Paul, looks like you can get up at 8:45 every day now as it is possible. I forgot to set my alarm this morning too. I was lucky somebody texted me 1/2hr before I had to leave.

I agree with you Gaz but I have to say that to be fair the majority of students do moan about the situation! Paul certainly does. (I've just searched for the thread but can't find it!)

Hell Yeah...

I pay NIC as much as the next man, providing im over the limits..I still fit in 2 full days of paid work per week, and im a full time uni student (read "wannabe lazy git")

bet you have a credit rating now though. lol

Just something I remembered, it is weird. In 2003, Black Horse wouldn't let me short term loan £350 on a guitar but a week later, Capital Motor let me have thousands to spend on my Sei. I did get a not exactly legitimate income reference though. hehe

stu, I don't think you can claim NI back once you've paid, but you can avoid paying it for x weeks in 3 or 5 years before you're 25. The tax people sent me a nice shiny leaflet with all the info on.

Back