General Lancia Y10 4x4 vs. Panda 4x4

Currently reading:
General Lancia Y10 4x4 vs. Panda 4x4

Panda gearbox is then too short for me. Y10 gearbox is not much shorter than Uno gearbox which has 3600rpm at 130km/h.

I've just done 20km today :)

Would new bearings solve whining noise? I have spare Uno box that has similar internals (just slightly different ratios) but I don't want to put it apart if only the bearings are making the noise.

Last edited:
I think main difference is in final drives. Panda has 5.455, Lancia probably higher. You would probably have to change front final drive in Panda's box to your Lancia's one, and everything skould be OK.
According to this site: http://www.y10.altervista.org/Pagine_html/Modelli_serie.htm Y10 4WD had 3.988 final drive with 1000 Fire or 3.867 with 1301 engine. Nothing about final drive with 1108 Fire (or I can't find, I don't know italian:().

Sutjeska

I am having the same problem with my Y104x4 box here in England. The Final drival ratio quoted earlier for the Y10 is wrong according to the info I have here.

Standard Y10 Fire 2 wd ratios are: 1: 3.909 , 2: 2.055 , 3: 1.344 , 4: 0.978 , 5: 0.780 Final drive is 3.733, Y10 4x4 has all the same gear ratios apart from the final drive which is 5.227. This was taken from the tech specs at the back of my La Lancia book.

So what are the panda 4x4's? I just want to make sure when I fit my Panda 4x4 gearbox to my Y10 all the wheels are going to go the same speed.

Last edited:
Interesting, I had a friend over who drove panda 4x4 some time ago and he said he finds no difference in first gear on both cars. To me y10 gearbox doesn't feel much shorter than Uno gearbox but as I mentioned before I couldn't do a lot of testing as car has no insurance.

Are that specs for mk2 y10 (1992-1995)? 2WD y10 mk2 have completly different gearboxes, like those in Puntos (dry gaiters). Maybe ratios are still the same.

I have no idea:( As I mentioned before, I haven't seen Y10 4WD:( But, as you said, at 130km/h your revcounter is reading 3600. Assuming several % of speedo optimism, we can say that fifth gear (final drive) is about 1,3 - 1,4 times longer than in Panda 4x4. So, assuming that fifth's gear ratio is the same in both cars (0.73) final drive should be in the region between 3.9 and 4.2.
My idea is such - buy Panda 4x4 gearbox, change final drive in it for final drive from your Lancia's gearbox, and everything should be OK. You will have gearbox with the same final drive as in rear diff in your Lancia.

Sutjeska

BTW: Maybe Lancia used different gearboxes and final drives for different countries?

Last edited:
After a closer inspection (with hammer and screwdriver :D) i had to remove lower part of rear arch to do some welding.
img2734.jpg

I drilled one of the holes for spot welds a little too far :rolleyes:
img2736.jpg

img2737.jpg

img2738.jpg

More pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
I quite like working on my y10, but problem is that I don't have a lot of free time, so it's moving slowly. I hope this week I will finish other side too, as I have a little more time. I expect I will finish in october. It should be on the road before winter ;).

untitledui.jpg

img2933yyy.jpg

I have to do some welding under the car, but I don't expect to finish untill end of this week, as I have some more important things to do.

Rear brake drum is wet because brake oil leaks at rear piston.

Last edited:
Back