Technical Knocking on start up

Currently reading:
Technical Knocking on start up

Hi all
I am just about to buy a 2012 X250 3ltr 180bhp. It has higher than average mileage at 355000 but I know the owner and the van and it has been well looked after, however,on start up there is a knock down below somewhere, almost like an exhaust banging on start up. It has never bothered my friend but I need to ask more knowledgeable people like yourselves :worship:
I have heard about the engine mount scenario and hope that someone out there can shed some light on the issue
Thanks guys.,............, and lasses

This is a well known characteristic which applied to the X250 on its introduction in 2007. It applied to the 2.3 and the 3l models. They also suffered to some degree or other from reverse judder. As part of the reverse judder fix for the 2.3 the engine mounts were replaced with modified ones which coincidentally cured the bang on start up.
Fiat for some reason or other decided to do nothing about the 3L, probably because there were a lot fewer private owners and in addition they could not physically change the reverse gear in the gear box { the second part of the 2.3 mod} as there was no room.
Fiat claim that the bang on start up on the 3L is a characteristic. A quick google of 'fiat ducato clunk on start up' will give enough hits to keep you reading for months, especially the motorhome forums ones.
Luckily though, despite being an ever present characteristic on the 3L it does not appear to do any harm to any components. Plus of course it is a gorgeous engine which has a timing chain to last a lifetime so no belt change required.
A previous post from an Australian owner https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/425349-loud-bump-when-starting-motor-3.html

Last edited:
Back