500 (Classic) Just bought a 1968 500F!

Currently reading:
500 (Classic) Just bought a 1968 500F!

Hi in the UK you don't need them as it manufactured before the law was introduced but you should have the mounting points on the B post and behind the seat runners if you want to fit them. Most cars came with sling over belts but you can fit inertia reel belts.

Tony

Many thanks Vitesse; do you know if they are difficult to install or is it best left to a licensed mechanic?

Many thanks Vitesse; do you know if they are difficult to install or is it best left to a licensed mechanic?

As Steve says they are really easy to fit. The only problem with inertia reels is they restrict access to the back seats a bit because of where the mount is on the body work and you need to use a spacer on the B post to raise the bracket a bit to allow it to rotate but they will fit fine and hopefully give you other half a bit of peace of mind.

I got mine from here and they come with all the spacers you need.

https://www.fiat500ricambi.com/fiat500/Interior/DI1122

Here are some pics to give you an idea.

As Steve says they are really easy to fit. The only problem with inertia reels is they restrict access to the back seats a bit because of where the mount is on the body work and you need to use a spacer on the B post to raise the bracket a bit to allow it to rotate but they will fit fine and hopefully give you other half a bit of peace of mind.

I got mine from here and they come with all the spacers you need.

Vitesse & stevehg - that's brilliant - thanks so much for the info!

or tuck it further back to get it out of the way.....

SANY1693.JPG

Thanks ozza and kanewilsonjr !
We took her out for a long drive over the bank holiday weekend. Notched up about 300km ( scooting along the a3 at 85kph surrounded by large trucks was interesting!)

Had a few minor problems with idling so made a few tweaks to the idle stop and mix which seemed to make a difference; but she seems to have a habit after running for long periods of kind of flooding when pulling up (say at lights or intersection for example). Might be the carbie float getting stuck perhaps(?) - will need to look at this before the next run. But a great little drive nonetheless!!

Hey kjtosco,

Great to see you're enjoy the 'experience', I'm only 2 months into ownership and loving working on the little car.

I also have this issue where after a hot journey the carb would kind of wee over the engine from the spout sticking out of the plastic housing at the bottom.

I have in the interim run a small tube (not air tight as to create resistance or a siphon) from this spout, down the air intake to exit just behind the rear wheel so at least it relieves itself on the road after a journey!.

I'll try and get a pic tonight if it helps.

Ozza

Hey kjtosco,

Great to see you're enjoy the 'experience', I'm only 2 months into ownership and loving working on the little car.

I also have this issue where after a hot journey the carb would kind of wee over the engine from the spout sticking out of the plastic housing at the bottom.

I have in the interim run a small tube (not air tight as to create resistance or a siphon) from this spout, down the air intake to exit just behind the rear wheel so at least it relieves itself on the road after a journey!.

I'll try and get a pic tonight if it helps.

Ozza

Hey - thanks again ozza; I ended up taking Gina (now named!) to a garage recommended to me in Fulham, as I wanted to get her checked out overall before we head off on a long trip this summer (subject of another post to come); Turns out that a couple of new spark plugs was all that was needed to get her back to running smoothly! The only other thing that was found was some play in the king pins which I'll need to get sorted; probably easiest for me to have them handle that also before we go as I'm not really set up to accept that challenge!

Hope its all going well!

KJ

Hey - thanks again ozza; I ended up taking Gina (now named!) to a garage recommended to me in Fulham, as I wanted to get her checked out overall before we head off on a long trip this summer (subject of another post to come); Turns out that a couple of new spark plugs was all that was needed to get her back to running smoothly! The only other thing that was found was some play in the king pins which I'll need to get sorted; probably easiest for me to have them handle that also before we go as I'm not really set up to accept that challenge!

Hope its all going well!

KJ

Glad you're enjoying it (her!)

Back