500 (Classic) Just bought a 1968 500F!

Currently reading:
500 (Classic) Just bought a 1968 500F!

kjtosco

Howdy!

Just came across the forum and thought I'd say hi!

My wife and I just bought a great little 1968 500F. This is our first time owning a vintage Fiat - always been something we've talked about - and both looking forward to some nice little trips.

Grateful for any advice - particularly, at this early stage, about what sort of equipment and spares we should carry with us when driving!

Cheers!

KJ

Welcome and congrats on your recent purchase. I can't offer any ownership advice, as I've just started looking on the Classic forum myself, with a view to buy a classic 500.

Once I do, the plan for me, is to reduce my tool kit and spares to the absolute minimum by making a few mods and overhauling major items so that I know they are in good condition to start with. It won't guarantee any failures but it reduce them greatly.

The plan is to fit an electronic ignition, like 123ignition, to improve reliability. I'll then make sure that bearings, drive shafts/couplings, bushes, battery etc. are in good condition and if not replace. I'll check brakes, connections and lines and overhaul/replace where necessary.

Then carry fuses, spare electrical wire, drive belt, filters, plugs, fluids, duck tape, pipe repair tape, hylomar, tyre repair kit and basic tools. For longer trips I've been known to carry spare distributor, fuel pump, length of braided hose with various fittings and depending on the vehicle known wear points like bearings, UJ's etc.

This has served me well for long years of messing around with Land Rovers, and hopefully some actual owners can chime in with advice specific to the 500. Also, apologies if any of the above was teaching you to suck eggs! ;)

cheers, Steve :)

Hi KJ. I would follow Steve's great advice and gradually make sure that the car is in good order. You an do this by following up every unusual noise or response or lack of response! Fix or replace things at home ASAP and then there's no reason why you shouldn't eventually have a car that's no more likely to break down than a modern vehicle.

I was using my car without even a spare wheel or tools until recently...foolhardy, but who has tools and spares in a modern car? Steve's list is about what I would recommend for a long tour. But I have always found that a couple of small spanners, a screwdriver or two and some sandpaper are enough to let me adjust the car to get me home when there are any slight hiccups on the move.

What's that yellow piece in the plastic bag Peter it looks a bit fat for HT leads??

Hi All

Thanks so much for the welcome and the responses - much appreciated.
stevehg definitely not teaching me to suck eggs! I'm grateful for the detailed advice. My wife and I are planning on taking the car for a loooong drive later in the year and my biggest concern is being caught out!
fiat500 - many thanks also - is there anywhere you'd recommend getting parts sourced from - I'm based in London?

Will definitely be posting some pics soon... my wife is a photographer so any mishaps will be well documented!

KJ

Hi KJ rule number one don't buy spares from UK suppliers if you can help it, you will get stung as they are much more expensive. An example I recently ordered some parts to rebuild an engine. UK supplier £573.00, a German one £273.00.

I use Axel Gerstl in Germany mostly. P&P generally works out at about €11.90 and parts usually arrive in 2-3 days. Fred is the guy there and he is very helpful.

http://webshop.fiat500126.com/?&lang=en

Or another good supplier is Van Der Laan in Holland. They are a bit more expensive for shipping but they are equally as good. Leo is there and he is also a good guy.

https://www.fiat500vdlaan.nl/en/webshop.php

TBH the shopping charges from Europe are probably similar to what you would expect from a UK supplier.

Tony

Cheers Vitesse - that's brilliant! Will definitely check them out. I guess the best part about having a new (old) toy is that I get to re-kit the tool box... most of my stuff is in storage back in Aus so its a nice excuse!

Hi KJ rule number one don't buy spares from UK suppliers if you can help it,

Tony

Rule number 2..always buy from UK suppliers if you can afford it.;)

Admittedly , based on relatively few items, I have been repeatedly disappointed with the quality of some of the things from Europe, whilst always being delighted with the quality from the UK.

I think that if you look carefully in German and Dutch webshops, there are often a variety of grades of item available. I am guessing that for low value , wearable items, this is a case where you do get what you pay for.
I fully agree on carriage charges and would go further for anyone living in the Scottish part of the UK:devil:, it will usually be cheaper to get delivery from Europe.::rolleyes:

Many thanks fiat500 and sorry for the late response!
I'm always happy to pay a bit more for good quality items - I guess its probably just a matter of suck it and see, right?

Is there a recommended 500 club in the UK?

Hi all... just picked her up yesterday so finally able to post some pics... will put some more up over the coming weeks...

Some hairy moments on the drive home yesterday trying to get my head and feet back around double clutching but apart from that all good!

Attachments

• gina1.jpg
    gina1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
  • Gina2.jpg
    Gina2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
Many thanks fiat500 and sorry for the late response!
I'm always happy to pay a bit more for good quality items - I guess its probably just a matter of suck it and see, right?

Is there a recommended 500 club in the UK?

Nice car..I used to have one that colour combination.
As for clubs, I joined the Fiat 500 Club. Unless you live in a area close to the majority of their activities there's not much point. Website is rubbish, forum dead. You are already in the best 500 club in the UK. ;)

Nice car..I used to have one that colour combination.
As for clubs, I joined the Fiat 500 Club. Unless you live in a area close to the majority of their activities there's not much point. Website is rubbish, forum dead. You are already in the best 500 club in the UK. ;)

I'm realising that very quickly - cheers!

Try the 'Fiat 500 Enthusiasts Club'--nice bunch of people, magazine every other month and a selection of 'club' clothing. They will have a stand at AutoItalia (Brooklands, 2nd May).
thumb.gif

Hey - thanks so much Hobbler - much appreciated.

I have another question - not sure if this deserves its own thread or not(!) - but as my wife was white knuckling on our first drive home on the weekend in the 500, she pointed out that we had no seatbelts!

I'm assuming this is a normal thing for classic 500s, but is there any requirement that they have to be fitted for driving in the UK, or on the continent?

KJ

Back