Technical judder

Currently reading:
Technical judder

i have been getting what feels like some engine judder on acceleration in 1st/2nd gear and have heard it could be failing engine mounts? it doesnt happen all the time tho. is there an easy way to diagnose this? im not great at navigating myself around the engine bay as such. also, if it is the case, how much would it be roughly for parts/labor?

If its only when you're pulling away and/or while slipping the clutch at a specific point, its clutch judder. Engine mounts will fix nothing if this is the case.

no, the clutch is only like 5k miles old and it doenst really happen in gear changes. i have more issue from either the linkage or gearbox in gear changes. its happens when accelerating, often up a hill for eg and in 2nd gear at around 2500/3000 revs it seems more frequent. basically when the engine is under load. its not all the time. sometimes i can floor it up to 4000 revs and its smooth as u like, other times i could be feathering it to speed, say 20mph in 2nd and i get it dancing like a kangaroo.

This happens to mine all the time especially in damp and wet, i've been told a clutch is what i need to fix it

Mine also makes a different noise depending on if I have my foot on the clutch or not, been told that that is thrust bearing

dont make any difference to weather and like i said, clutch is pretty new. its from acceleration and my foot isnt on the clutch. no noises, just feels like im on a really bumpy road, but not harsh bumps i guess i could describe it as, but not in time with the speed im traveling if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Worn inner CV joints maybe? Is it a kind of vibrating/shaking feeling?

Often if people use cable ties rather than the proper gaiter clips they tend to be not tight enough and they loose the grease, causing the joint to wear and the larger space between the inner tripod bearings and outer cage cause a weird vibrating sensation under acceleration.

Mate, try accelerating to 3500 in 2nd then let off the pedal completely. If it is juddering on the overrun really bad when this happens, then it is most likely to be the gearbox/engine mount.

If that is what it is, it's just under the battery holder and is easily replaced. i think S$P has them for about 30 quid.

I only know this because i have the EXACT same problem and i hate it!

Engine mount underneath is the most likely. Unfortunately you cant watch it moving with the engine under load. It really needs an experienced professional to get a look while its up on a garage lift. It will be old and slack anyway so even if its not totally shot a new one will be an improvement.

The clutch also cant be ruled out. It might be new, but the gearbox bearing and seal are often ignored leading to oil on the clutch.

Back