Technical Low temp, low-rev judder/hesitation

Currently reading:
Technical Low temp, low-rev judder/hesitation

My '05 1.2 8v have been facing a few problems for, well quite frankly, a while now. In September last year it burnt an injector - swapped it for a used one.
Then in November/December it started struggling with judder and hesitation on ONE cylinder. Analysing the different signals from the ECU with MES, I guessed, and swapped the injector on cylinder 4, because the knock signal seemed to be worst on that cylinder (and I had spares lying around anyway).
The problem first occurred when the car had been stationary for a few days - and only when cold (sub-70° water temp) and mostly sub-2500 rpm, so I thought it might be moisture related as well. I never got fully rid of the problem, and in February it seemed to be getting worse, so I swapped injector 2 & 3 as well.
The problem does however still persist, and could use some help trying to identify the issue. It only skips/judders/hesitates on ONE cylinder, never two, so is very unlikely to be ignition related.

Both O2-sensors were swapped 5000kms ago (with Bosch), so they're hardly going to be the problem. Spark plugs as well. I'm running upgraded ignition system with a 1.2 16V coil and Magnecor leads, which is all in good condition.
I just fitted a new timing belt and head gasket, and cylinders look to be in great condition. The valves are however light grey, as are the spark plugs, so it's obviously running a bit lean.

I've recently gotten error code P0302 (high knock signal on cyl 2) and P0170 (mixture strength) at two separate instances.
I'm thinking either MAP or fuel pump is the case. I just cleaned the MAP this weekend and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. The fuel pressure is difficult to test, considering that it's got hardline fuel tubing.

Disconnecting the cam sensor does nothing (injection signal comes from here), and listening to the injectors using a long screw driver, all seem to be fine.
The engine has always sprung to life quickly, even at -15° - it does seem to be getting a bit sluggish, but still quite quick.

Last edited:
Back